• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sems vinyl paint ...Pic attached

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Painted seats..I thought it came out well. Just sharing my progress
Pleased with sems products.

Attachments

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not the slightest familiar with this product. Is this to paint faded seats? Or paint and change the color of the seats? Any idea how this stuff will hold up? Just curious, as I have an interest now.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sems is a vinyl paint. We use it to paint logos on commercial PVC roofing systems.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your seats look great!

How does the paint feel? Did you paint all of the seats or just the grey?

Blazin14

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ToddW850 The seats were faded and had stains that I could not remove. I will let you know at the end of the season how well the white held up. I did paint the grey tops last year, which are directly in the sun, and they held up good

@Bruce This time I only painted the white, not the grey. (SEMs sail-white). I also used SEMS "Tac Free" clear coat as the last step which is suppose to make the seat not feel like you spray bomb'd them. I think they feel like new seats - non plastic and stiff. I know what you means as I painted seats 25 yrs ago in my VW and they felt plastic and stiff, I also used over the counter spay can.

Cray16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many cans did it take?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Came out great and it looks like there are a number of prep products, plastic paint, etc. Thank you for sharing. They have limited colors but maybe I can go with red or yellow for my interior.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I, too, am unfamiliar with this stuff. Looks good, though! Got any "before" pictures?

Too bad they don't make paint that fixes ripped vinyl...

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
never used SEM, but I redid the entire interior of my Rubicon in 2012 with the DupliColor line - I did the dash, doors, console, seats, and carpet. the dash/doors/console still look like it came from the factory that way. the cloth seats are a little faded (which I knew would happen from sliding in/out of them - it doesn't show on clothing, except maybe white pants). I'm pretty anal and I think the seats still look fine, all things considered. touch-up should be easy, though. when I first did the seats they felt stiff, so I "buffed" them with an old pair of jeans to soften the dye/paint. the carpet I brushed soft with a nylon brush.

01khaki.jpg
30final.jpg

when i first considered it, i found numerous failures on the internet using this stuff, but saw some success stories. as with most failed internet projects, failure usually results from poor execution - the tool is always blamed before the inept user:
I believe the key to hard panels is using the PREP SPRAY and applying numerous, very thin coats.
a factory-look on fabric can be achieved with slow, tedious, perfect taping at the stitching and piping. i also think it helps to remove the covers and run them through the washing machine to get any body oils off. carpet needs to be scrubbed and rinsed thoroughly.
on two-tone seats, overlapping the previous, lighter color for a couple light coats (then re-taping at the intended edge) can help hide the old color at the seams and within the stitches.

you wouldn't know it, but I also used VHT last spring to change the color of the middle strip on my swim deck cushions that a previous owner replaced. i prepped the seat with a very light wipe of acetone because i didn't have the prep spray.

@Blazin14 not sure from your pics, but is the SEM Sail White a bright white or a slightly off white? it looks bright. I just bought the VHT White Satin to redo a used bow filler cushion and touch-up some other cushions, but it is like super-bright snow white and doesn't match ...though it does match the gelcoat!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did my old boat seats. Lasted years. Paint out lasted the vinyl. I don't remember brrrberry the name brand but you can buy it any auto parts store $8 per can

Cgrayson81

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I, too, am unfamiliar with this stuff. Looks good, though! Got any "before" pictures?

Too bad they don't make paint that fixes ripped vinyl...
Did you find anything to repair ripped or messed up vinyl????

Cgrayson81

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Painted seats..I thought it came out well. Just sharing my progress
Pleased with sems products.
Any type of product for vinyl repair? I have a small spot that not quite ripped but the power washer messed it up. Brand new AR195 seat is the issue.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is there a color to match the grey portion of the seat on a 2008 AR230?

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Is there a color to match the grey portion of the seat on a 2008 AR230?
for my 2005 AR230, I used VHT SP953 (Light Gray Satin) because the previous owner replaced them with the incorrect color. Your gray may be the darker area on my old cushion, so you might want to try VHT SP954 (Charcoal Gray)? It held up great for the three more years I owned it.

DSCN0824.JPG

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, I keep thinking that’s there’s no way spray painting my seats could turn out good but the pics I’m seeing looks great!

I mean can you tell at all that they were painted or do they have a normal vinyl look to them?

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I practiced on my Jeep years prior. I did my Jeep in 2012 and it is still holding up really well, even on the fabric seats ...granted, it is garaged (minimal sun) and I've only put 15k miles on it since. seeing the failures on the internet, I came to the conclusion that proper prep and several light applications yield excellent results. don't try to bang it all out in a day like the import car kids do.

I mean can you tell at all that they were painted or do they have a normal vinyl look to them?
it was impossible for anyone to tell that I painted my boat cushions unless I told them - and they could only tell by the very slight difference in color and shininess of the interior seats. they came out looking factory dyed. the paint does look a little more matte, but if you do adjacent cushions it won't matter.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any type of product for vinyl repair? I have a small spot that not quite ripped but the power washer messed it up. Brand new AR195 seat is the issue.
There is Tear-Aid and Liquid Leather kits available. There are pro leather/vinyl repair guys in every town if you want it to look better than DIY