• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

several issues and questions for my 2016 fsh 190.

jaysen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I just placed my 2016 fsh 190, that had been purchased this past December, in the water a few days ago and had some issues I hope I can be helped with.

1- The steering is a little rough and noisy and after doing some research I believe it is the steering cable. Anyone have experience fixing this problem? would it be under the warranty?

2- When on the water after 4 hours, the engine alarm went on and said low oil pressure. I turned off the boat and checked the oil level (just did an oil change in December) and the oil was fine. the boat needed a few turns to start up again and the engine alarm was still on but only said " check engine". I slowly drove 5-10 minutes back to the dock and turned it off for about 20 minutes. After this point, the alarm or warnings never went off again. Batteries are charged. I used the boat all day yesterday with no alarms at all. I am kinda paranoid now and don't trust to take the boat more than a mile offshore.

3- Because i am on the ocean, i have been using a jetdock but find that it is difficult to center the boat on it. I feel it is because the boat has a deep V compared to other jet boats but would like to hear from anyone else that uses one. I also notice the articulating keel is on the bottom of the jet dock and the front of the boat is creating a crease in it.

4- Would anyone know where i can access the mechanic/maintenance manual and perhaps the software and plug so i can check the alarm history and sensor status on the boat?

5 - When going above 25 mph i feel like the boat sometimes hydroplanes (feels like it is skidding to the side a little as I am driving forward). It was windy with 17 mph gusts and the current was moving with the tide. This is my first jet boat and i am unsure if it is normal or not but found myself needing to compensate with the steering a bit.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  1. Not sure why your steering would be"rough and noisy". The only noise I've ever had that was unusual came from a reverse gate that was hanging too low (in the jetstream) and it chattered through the throttles...I don't recall feeling it in the steering though.
  2. You should get YDS and read what codes it errored on to determine why this happened. YDS is available on EBAY
  3. Not familiar with jetdocks...I have an airdock.
  4. You can sometimes find these on Ebay
  5. Not sure what you mean by "hydroplanes" - boats are meant to hydroplane.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
#5 Yes, when you have strong cross wind the boat will slide. The boat does not have "keel or rudder" like a sailboat or outboard engine. :bored:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F S H has both a keel and a rudder but if you add a cobra viper to your boat it will act like a different boat all together.
Quicker planing better steering at all speeds and better reverse control straight tracking at speed and no more loosing control when you rapidly decelerate. and even a power steering effect do a search for people who have it. I also agree that the reverse may be touching the water exiting the nozzle making it vibrate.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F S H has both a keel and a rudder but if you add a cobra viper to your boat it will act like a different boat all together.
Quicker planing better steering at all speeds and better reverse control straight tracking at speed and no more loosing control when you rapidly decelerate. and even a power steering effect do a search for people who have it. I also agree that the reverse may be touching the water exiting the nozzle making it vibrate.

SMH. Yes, all boats have a keel! And the FSH has a “rudder” of sorts.

If my very short post was read properly, it’s clear that I said “like a sailboat or outboard”

No mention in your post addressing the OP issue....

Strong cross wind and the FSH will slide. Will do so with or without “aftermarket rudders” added

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well I guess we will just have to disagree then.
@jaysen Ask some people who already have the viper on their boats and see what they say

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you purchase the boat new? If so sounds like the best bet would be to take it to the dealer being you've got several issues

jaysen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
  1. Not sure why your steering would be"rough and noisy". The only noise I've ever had that was unusual came from a reverse gate that was hanging too low (in the jetstream) and it chattered through the throttles...I don't recall feeling it in the steering though.
  2. You should get YDS and read what codes it errored on to determine why this happened. YDS is available on EBAY
  3. Not familiar with jetdocks...I have an airdock.
  4. You can sometimes find these on Ebay
  5. Not sure what you mean by "hydroplanes" - boats are meant to hydroplane.
any idea what specific yds is good? there are many options o n ebay but none say fsh 190.

i have the thrust vector from jetboat pilot. im not sure how they compare.

Did you purchase the boat new? If so sounds like the best bet would be to take it to the dealer being you've got several issues
i got the boat used and unfortunately i didnt realize it wasnt in the condition i thought. minor issues noticed, but it should still be under warranty. i prefer to do my own work, the yamaha jet boat dealer by me doesnt have the most honest reputation.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To answer your question on the difference there are a lot of people who have had both this is one who just posted his opinion but there are so many more just do a search.

1. and another couple of viper pics I just received

2. Attached Files:
  1. Cobra Jet Steering LLC, Mar 23, 2018 Edit Delete Report Bookmark
  2. #6 + Quote Reply Top

1. FLBulldoggerActive Member
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    So after a couple of months of going back and forth on whether to buy Lateral thrust reversers or try a new system all together we went with the Cobra Jet Viper NK's with Mega Fangs (can't really go wrong with the Money-back guarantee that Jeff promises). Jeff was great throughout the whole process with quick reply emails about the install, since I had to remove the ThrustVectors (TV's) and had to acquire new parts (collars) that were removed and he even sent a couple bolts to assist in the install, made the order on Weds. evening and received the package on Friday, the install was uneventful and as depicted and described (except for the removal of the TV's, that was a PIA), applied the super glue so we could get out and test out the new system the next afternoon and hit the water about 1130. A little background we are new to the Jet Boat scene (only 6 months of experience) and have always had the JBP TV's on the boat so we had no real comparison of being "nozzle only" (we don't have a articulating keel) the TV's provided decent slow maneuverability, but due to our other boating experiences we felt something was missing, especially on plane and in reverse.

From the moment we left the dock, the difference was quite noticeable in reverse and at slow no wake zone speed the maneuverability was fantastic and more like what we had experienced with an outboard. Once we cleared the no wake zone, we powered up and what a pleasant surprise on plane very quickly and she felt like all of a sudden we had a tight steering system with no slop and you could put her where you pointed her. We made about a 30 min run down the Manatee River at WOT and did quite a bit of turning and even a couple left and right 360 degree circles and were grinning the entire time. My wife took the helm and we continued down the river and she couldn't believe what a difference in the handling and even used the term "power steering" type feel in the handling. On the way back we pulled into one of the riverfront pubs (Woody's) here and just to see how she did in a "tight" maneuvering space I idled into the enclosed docking area and put her through the paces, completed at TIGHT 180 in front of all of the customers by the dock and proceeded back out. She handled like a champ and away we took off toward the boat ramp. My wife took over about 2 miles before the ramp I wanted her to dock the boat with the new system. As we arrived we realized why we don't do weekend boating, the ramp was 4 deep in inbounds and 5 deep in outbounds, with various levels of boatsmanship on display. Needless to say it was going to be a while, my wife used the 35 minutes to do slow maneuvers around some crab pot buoys and she was very impressed with how the boat handled. Once our turn was up she docked the boat with very little effort even in a challenging current and wind condition, also an audience watching.

In summary the system is exactly what Jeff promises, In our humble opinion the CJS Viper with Mega Fangs is a better overall handling package for the single thrust (can't speak to the dual thrust boats) boats as compared to the TV's.

jaysen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i have been looking for the yds without any luck. can anyone link me to an ebay sale or website that sells the correct yds for the 2016 fsh 190?