• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SH-T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cracked the Gel Coat....

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need help from the experts PLEASE.....

So I was installing
this thing (not actual picture)on my SX190 transom to protect the ducer wire....and made 2 of the three holes clean......taped, reverse drill to start, bevelled, marine super glue on the screws, tightened gently - PERFECT ......but I dont know wtf happened to the third hole but it chipped - just like below.......obviously not that big nor the tail scrape - but the screw doesnt grab the fiber glass at all......

So I just filled the the 3rd screw with glue and snugged it up through the GAP for now.....

HELP PLZ guys !!!!!!!!!!

Installing

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like your fix with glue but I would have used 3m 4200 to make the chip water tight. Other than that, can't even tell.

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer gave me a tube of "super glue" its not infront of me right know but he did say its marine grade....

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My worry aside from H2O leakage - is the potential for spider cracks underneath the the swim platform

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At this point you might just as well use the good old method of 1. overdrill, 2. fill with epoxy resin (use white if cosmetic appearance is impotant), 3. redrill (smaller) - for the exact screw size. Set the screws in 3m 5200.

--

TiMaH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok TYVM Swatski...... so would I allow the epoxy to come over the exterior edge of the oversized hole to prevent spider cracks ????

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok TYVM Swatski...... so would I allow the epoxy to come over the exterior edge of the oversized hole to prevent spider cracks ????
No, I would make it as even as possible - epoxy is MUCH harder than gel coat - and harder to sand/buff/polish. The key to avoid spider cracks in gel coat when putting screws into it is to have the exact match between the drill bit/hole size and the screw. Importantly, it is different in different materials, so if you are testing the match in plywood - you will need a slightly larger diameter hole in fiberglass/gelcoat. I always save scraps of any fiberglass/FRP cutouts - so that I can test the fittings.
That said, epoxy is super hard, so it is unlikely to expand enough to cause cracking of the surrounding gelcoat.

--

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length