• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shallow Water Mud Ingestion

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the concensus on immediate steps to take when you suddenly find yourself in shallow water?
Shut off engines? Reverse?

I floated into some shallows while fishing and could hear the prop siphoning up some mud/sand from the bottom. Was able to engage reverse and get back to 'quiet' water. Did not like the sound of the mud/sand slush going through the prop.

Thoughts on this prop photo?
IMG_2906.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The leading edges of that impeller look pretty dinged up. Do you have any cavitation now? I'd check it for cavitation wear after a few hours.

Here is an example of what cavitation will do to an impeller:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reverse actually increases the amount of stuff being sucked up. When the reverse gate goes down it directs the jet down and forward. Throwing more river bottom up.

I damaged an Impeller really bad once while loading onto trailer and hitting reverse hard.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
yeah, with these boats there isn't a transmission, reverse is just forward with the bucket in a different position, so as dan said, the downward directed jet blast could create more issues.

I recently pulled my impeller and it looked a lot better than yours and I have about 70 hours on mine. I am not sure if your impeller would cause issues, as Julian said.

When I am in very shallow water I try to go as slow as possible, thinking if the jet pump isn't inhaling as much water, maybe I won't suck up as much.

If you could shut down the engine and use something to push off of the bottom to get back to deeper water, that would be ideal, but not always possible. I wish there was an easy way to install a trolling motor, especially for fishing in the shallows and around objects

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
from the scuffs and dings in the gelcoat, it looks like the entire pump area has been taking a beating over time.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've searched the forum for any guides on prop replacement but mostly see stuff on adding cones...
Anyone know of a good link that details a how-to of prop replacement for a newb.. 12hrs on boat...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are you experiencing any problems since then? I've seen impellers look a lot worse and not have problems,

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
"prop" isn't gonna find you much. search for "impeller"

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
are you experiencing any problems since then? I've seen impellers look a lot worse and not have problems,
No issues, but I only continued boating for about the 30 min it took to get back to dry dock. Was very eager to see everything once lifted out of water. Will test ride again next weekend with closer attention to acceleration feel. Very bottom of hull V just has some light scuffs from contact with muddy/sandy bottom.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Changing an impeller on these is no picnic you may want to take it to someone who is good at it.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That impeller has been chewing on rocks or gravel.

It looks like there is enough damage to warranty changing it to me. Although you should see how fast she goes before changing. The damaged impeller will reduce top speed and efficiency. If you have only lost a few mph you may not want to change it.

Fortunately 190 impellers are cheap. I believe @swatski found them for less than $175.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Besides the impeller remember to check your intake screen after this as you will take a lot of debris through the cooling system. Make sure you had run some clean water for a while through it and maybe think about running a treatment like Salt-A-Way as it also is for sediment and mineral build up also. I think you said a 30 min ride so you should be fine though.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the future if this happens and if you have a trolling motor or a push pole you would be better off avoiding running in shallow water and stirring up the mud rocks etc, you could have lodged a rock or shell in the pump and locked it up.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

It looks like there is enough damage to warranty changing it to me. Although you should see how fast she goes before changing. The damaged impeller will reduce top speed and efficiency. If you have only lost a few mph you may not want to change it.

Fortunately 190 impellers are cheap. I believe @swatski found them for less than $175.
@gpp7824 For some reason, the new 240 impellers are close to $150 but unfortunately those for 190 are a bit more expensive, a bit over $200 plus shipping (part #25)
http://www.powersportsparts4less.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=8647880&category=Boats&make=YAMAHA&year=2016&fveh=299189

It maybe worth it though, and it will end up being cheaper, faster, and far better end result than refurbishing.

Your damage is NOT caused by cavitation, but some gravel ingestion. If it runs good, I wouldn't worry about it. You should be able to tell. Just see how it runs. The impeller looks beat up, and it is the leading edge, but you just don't know until you see what it will do in the water. You may be fine as is, I would not be surprised. Check your RPM and speed at WOT and you will know.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found myself going through a shallow area at high speed. I decided not to slow down and turned around and left the area at the same speed because I didn't want to get stuck in a shallow area like another guy did a few years ago. It took him a few weeks to get his boat out.

Like others have stated, I'd check the current acceleration and top speed with the impeller as is. If you don't see / feel a performance decrease over the boat with an undamaged impeller it may not be worth the time and expense to replace it. If you do replace it and don't mind spending a few dollars to get the hard work done think about taking the impeller on its shaft to a pwc shop, if possible bring in the new impeller as well so they can mount it for you after replacing current one. Sbt (small block technologies) offers a trade in program I think and Impros in Colton ca will refurbish damaged impellers. Bench time to refurb an impeller at Impros can be over two weeks depending on how busy they are.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Besides the impeller remember to check your intake screen after this as you will take a lot of debris through the cooling system. Make sure you had run some clean water for a while through it and maybe think about running a treatment like Salt-A-Way as it also is for sediment and mineral build up also. I think you said a 30 min ride so you should be fine though.
I think this is a great side discussion.
Not only what is the 'best' immediate actions when someone ends up in shallow water, but what is the dry dock checklist of affected items...

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Interestingly, it looks like the 192 impellers are ~$180 and the 190 impellers are $225... odd...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oops, that was the wrong part number.

Lets try this, @PartsPak.com what is the best deal you can offer on Yamaha part 6CW-R1321-01-00?

Thanks