• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sharing my tablet mount setup for the Navionics app (SX210)

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi,
Instead of buying a chart plotter, I decided to use a tablet with the Navionics app. Cheaper, more flexible, better upgrades, etc.

After much searching , I finally decided on a setup that is perfect (at least for me) and I'd like to share it with the community:

- Lenovo Tab M8 Full HD - $ 140
It has 3 GB of RAM so apps load faster and run snappier.

- TPU case for the tablet - $ 4 (be careful to select "M8 FHD")

- RAM tablet holder mount for Nexus 7. This was originally designed for the Nexus 7 tablet, but it's the perfect size for the Lenovo M8 FHD - $28
Includes the necessary screws and hardware

- RAM suction cup mount. Comes with the medium arm - $ 38

- RAM short arm. I changed the medium arm of the mount for this shorter arm. This is not really strictly necessary, but I find it better on a lower position, and it looks better as well. You might want to skip this step - $ 15

And that's really all. Total cost with tablet included: $ 225
My main concern was if a tablet would be bright enough to see under the sun. Well, it's not super bright as a real chart plotter, but does the job. I can see it well, even with sunglasses.
I leave the mount fixed on the boat (of course) and I take the tablet home with me and charge it for the next time. You could also charge it with a small USB cable connected to the USB port, but I'd rather take the tablet home than leave it in the boat.

I am very happy about how it turned out. Hope it helps you out if you are looking to do something similar!

Gonzalo

IMG_20210313_143407.jpgIMG_20210313_143413.jpgIMG_20210313_144322.jpgIMG_20210313_152346.jpgIMG_20210313_155348.jpgIMG_20210313_155518.jpg

Last edited:

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like the idea, what are you using for GPS for the Navonics? I have thought of trying a small Ipad to do the same but GPS and cost seem to be issues still.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the idea, what are you using for GPS for the Navonics? I have thought of trying a small Ipad to do the same but GPS and cost seem to be issues still.
Most tablets include GPS built-in (like our phones). This Lenovo tablet has one, and it works perfect. You do not need data access for the GPS to work. And the Navionics app works offline too, just using the built-in GPS.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great Place to Mount the tablet. Real clean.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Most tablets include GPS built-in (like our phones). This Lenovo tablet has one, and it works perfect. You do not need data access for the GPS to work. And the Navionics app works offline too, just using the built-in GPS.
I need to look close more into the specs, did not see GPS listed but then again that was a very general ad link. Awesome if the Lenovo has GPS cause for the price your using it for is way better the the Ipad solution I was working. Would help extend my phone as a blue tooth music source if I am not running Nav on it too, and that screen will be much easier to see!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobinSC You are correct. AFAIK, IPad's do not have a GPS chip in the Wi-Fi only models. Unless something has changed recently. They appear to have GPS while connected to Wi-Fi but this isn't by a true GPS. Also the Cellular ones do have GPS. If things have changed recently or if I am incorrect, someone please correct me.

With that being said, All my samsung Tablets have GPS and they are Wi-FI only except for 1 of them. They work fantastic with Navionics.

RobinSC

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@RobinSC You are correct. AFAIK, IPad's do not have a GPS chip in the Wi-Fi only models. Unless something has changed recently. They appear to have GPS while connected to Wi-Fi but this isn't by a true GPS. Also the Cellular ones do have GPS. If things have changed recently or if I am incorrect, someone please correct me.

With that being said, All my samsung Tablets have GPS and they are Wi-FI only except for 1 of them. They work fantastic with Navionics.
Yes the cellular Ipad have true GPS and you do not need a "plan" for them to work, but they are expensive compared to Droid tablets. I wanted to use my Fire Tablet but Amazon apps store and navonics do not play nice, side loading to a pain with all the updating, just want a grab and go so this looks promising. FYI there are some ways to get the GPS into the Ipads but at a cost, look into "Bad Elf" (no not the dirty links!) they have a blue tooth /GPS solution and even offer Glosnoss with it. Just getting into to much $ and effort compared to this simple and as you say "fantastic" solution!

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, sorry I never used an iPad, I don't like Apple ;) . So I'm not familiar with what iPads have or don't have.

But yes, of course. You need to have a tablet with a GPS chip. "Location services" based only on wi-fi will not work.
It's really not a separate chip anymore. It's the complete chipset that includes GPS and most of the components in a single chip. It's called a SoC , or "System on Chip"

That said, all of the Android tablets I ever had (3 or 4) all of them had built in GPS.

By the way, the Lenovo M8 FHD does NOT have a compass sensor (magnetometer). I found out after I bought it. So the "head up" display mode does not work ( it's basically the same as "north up") . But I really don't care. I mostly use "course up" , and sometimes "north up".

Gonza

PS: Amazon tablets are crap. Horrible specs, only designed to sell you their books and stuff. And with no Google play store or Google services, you can't do s**t with them.

Last edited:

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would help extend my phone as a blue tooth music source if I am not running Nav on it too, and that screen will be much easier to see!
Yes exaclty. Or you can just use the tablet for music also. That's what I do. :). The Lenovo has a micro SD slot too, so I bought a 128 GB micro SD card and filled it up with music. Now I use the tablet as the bluetooth music source, instead of my phone.

(If you wanna do streaming , well yes, you have to use your phone. But I have a lot of downloaded music from back then when that was a thing :cool: )

Last edited:

Tiger J

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I love this post! I am thinking of going with the exact same setup.

Have you run into any hiccups or things you wish you did differently.... besides maybe that “heads up” feature. (I dont see that as very important.)

I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin until I saw this thread....

Hi,
Instead of buying a chart plotter, I decided to use a tablet with the Navionics app. Cheaper, more flexible, better upgrades, etc.

After much searching , I finally decided on a setup that is perfect (at least for me) and I'd like to share it with the community:

- Lenovo Tab M8 Full HD - $ 140
It has 3 GB of RAM so apps load faster and run snappier.

- TPU case for the tablet - $ 4 (be careful to select "M8 FHD")

- RAM tablet holder mount for Nexus 7. This was originally designed for the Nexus 7 tablet, but it's the perfect size for the Lenovo M8 FHD - $28
Includes the necessary screws and hardware

- RAM suction cup mount. Comes with the medium arm - $ 38

- RAM short arm. I changed the medium arm of the mount for this shorter arm. This is not really strictly necessary, but I find it better on a lower position, and it looks better as well. You might one to skip this step - $ 15

And that's really all. Total cost with tablet included: $ 225
My main concern was if a tablet would be bright enough to see under the sun. Well, it's not super bright as a real chart plotter, but does the job. I can see it well, even with sunglasses.
I leave the mount fixed on the boat (of course) and I take the tablet home with me and charge it for the next time. You could also charge it with a small USB cable connected to the USB port, but I'd rather take the tablet home than leave it in the boat.

I am very happy about how it turned out. Hope it helps you out if you are looking to do something similar!

Gonzalo

View attachment 144322View attachment 144323View attachment 144324View attachment 144325View attachment 144326View attachment 144327

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love this post! I am thinking of going with the exact same setup.
Awesome. I'm glad you like it!
No ...actually nothing I should have done different. It works fantastic for me. And the Lenovo tablet is now even a little bit cheaper.
Go for it!!

Gonza

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thing I did not mention , just so you know: With my polarized sunglasses you can't really see the screen in the vertical position (it has to be turned 90 degrees) . But I use non-polarized sunglasses and then there's no problem at all.

G

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have any issues with the tablet overheating? My Samsung tablet overheats fairly quickly in the Hawaiian sun!

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No problem so far!
Thanks for the tip on this tablet, I purchased one this week. I have had the Navionics app for a few years , worked ok on my phone, but liked the idea of the larger screen dedicated to navigation.

I am getting no real detail on the maps when I tried it for the 1st time this weekend. I downloaded the maps ahead of time , but when I zoom in, I get almost nothing. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea why it works normally on my android phone, but not on the tablet ? I didn't think I needed a separate card, which I did not buy. Do I need to add that ?

Thanks for any help you might have to offer.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great set up. Been going back and forth between using a tablet and a stand alone GPS. Looks great!

drodnyc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Speaking of chartplotters, I did plenty of research on them (garmin, simrad, lowrance, etc, and always came back to my ipad mini setup for ease of use, the extra functionality the apps provided, ease of installation, and a bit cheaper in price. Not to mention it is also "transferrable."
I am using an ipad mini w/cellular, which has the same screen size as most 9" chartplotters. I have it in a waterproof case and on ipad suction mount to the right of my controls, and plugged into the USB charger. I have navionics but on most occasions I am running the Argo app. Seems more user friendly, can search for fuel, marinas, food, etc and can tap to navigate and/or add to favorites as well as report hazards and stuff. Very similar to Waze. Plus with the ipad you can google things, check your email, etc. Brightness is not a problem. You can also switch from daylight/night time, etc.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip on this tablet, I purchased one this week. I have had the Navionics app for a few years , worked ok on my phone, but liked the idea of the larger screen dedicated to navigation.

I am getting no real detail on the maps when I tried it for the 1st time this weekend. I downloaded the maps ahead of time , but when I zoom in, I get almost nothing. I must be doing something wrong. Any idea why it works normally on my android phone, but not on the tablet ? I didn't think I needed a separate card, which I did not buy. Do I need to add that ?

Thanks for any help you might have to offer.
It should work fine. Download the maps at home first using Wifi, and then don't forget to select to use the Navionics maps.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
With tablet you have the added advantage of utilizing an anchor alarm, weather radar, and lighting detection vs a dedicated gps unit.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Do you have any issues with the tablet overheating? My Samsung tablet overheats fairly quickly in the Hawaiian sun!
My tablet overheated but I placed it in my cooler for about 5 minutes and I was up and running for the rest of the day. I do try to shade it with a towel or shirt while at anchor on hot sunny days