• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaun White and the flag

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone watch Shaun White's unbelievable performance last night? I was absolutley amazed by the level of competition in that event. I had so much respect for White coming back from that brutal crash last year and throwing down such an amazing run. Then........he dragged the flag all the way off the camera. As a patriotic American and a Veteran it kind of bothered me. But, I gave the guy a break because he was filled with so much emotion and triumph. I'm not so sure I agree with the news media making a big deal out of it. I also put some of the blame on the coaching staff. The Olympic staff need to make sure they pound it into the heads of these athletes that they represent a country, and if you medal, then do it with class and make darn sure you respect the flag.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just read where he aplogized for it... he said he remembered being handed the flag but when he was getting all of his stuff and being so emotional he didt realize it was dragging. He said he flies the flag at his house everyday and he proud of the flag. I didnt like it when i saw it but ill give him a pass due to the high emotion and the sincere apology..

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The media is making something out of nothing. Just like how this morning there are all these articles about how he sexually abused his old band mate.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I saw the run several times but didnt notice him dragging the flag. At the same time they just handed it to him soon after he heard his score and while everyone else was congratulating him. I dont think much of how he handled the flag in those momemts as long he was respectul towards it while on the podium as the anthem was played, but i didnt see that part.

Ive seen althletes in the summer olympics do much worse e.g. draping the flag over their shoulders while on the podium flashing gang signs/gestures. Just embarassing and classless and the face of america for that moment in time. They were winners but heros or role models, i think not. Whereas i am happy that my son looks up to shawn white. Watching him hug his mother afterward was moving and he didnt forget to thanknhis supporters.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think often times its worth considering intent. I don't believe he intended to disrespect anything. If he had, he wouldn't have draped it around his back and held it high. I know the flag is sacred and there are rules of respect for which I 100% agree with, but he didn't put it on the ground and start beating it with his board. I agree with @adrianp89 something out of nothing.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The kid is so full of emotion he threw his helmet into the crowd after his first run just to realize he needed it for two more runs and had to go ask the crowd for it back. I'm sure he didn't do it on purpose.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I watched the same thing, and was appalled at the way he just dragged the flag on the ground. But, I understand he was very emotional, and dont think it was anything to intentionally disrespect the flag. I have not seen it, but I understand he apologized! Much different than members of the National Felon League intentionally disrespecting the flag and the anthem. I give him a pass this time....but not again....he knows now! But he was unbelievable in his performance!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The man just won Gold for America, hard to call him unpatriotic. He screwed up and apologized.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm the most "Flag Code" guy you'll ever meet. Unfortunately I just had to lower ours to half-staff again...but that's another story. I tend to give athletes in that situation (especially Olympians) a pass. Unless they throw it on the ground and stomp it, or light it on fire, I let it slide. Most are "kids" who think wrapping themselves in it, wearing it over their shoulders or whipping it around is OK. There was obviously alot of emotion going on there and the MSM jumped on it. Does not compare to the NFL situation.

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2017/09/ways_you_are_disrespecting_the.html

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I chalked it up to the same reasons, ..caught up in the moment, not paying attention....There was no intended malice in the act, just unfortunate happenstance.

Meanwhile, the POS NFL players get support for their "activism"

@Billtex2000 this is my "goto" http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html as a fellow flag enthusiast (hence the avatar) I keep copies of this in my truck with a handful of flags. I place them in peoples mailbox should I see a yard flag needing to be retired.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length