• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shop recommendation for mr1 head work

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone recommend a good shop to get the valves seats lapped, heads checked, and can clearance set? Sbt does a core exchange for 500, buy they don't have the best reputation.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Shipping may not be the easiest. May look for a local? We have a few places here that do that stuff specifically but ithas been years since i used them

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm might have an idea,
if not I know a member had fantastic service from a company in near Panama City, FL, really professional and quality work, If you'd consider shipping it I could probably find it for you but you'd think you could get a good contact somewhere in socal,

If I had an engine issue I would only go with someone who had a trusted reference, even if it meant spending an extra couple hundred in shipping or time,
you don't want to have to pull that engine out again or have more issues with it,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jgorm the shop that I used for engine work sent the head out to a machine shop. But it's possible that if you explain your situation that he would either point you in the right direction or send it out for you. Either way, I thought that his prices were reasonable. Good luck, keep us posted.

Robert @ Jet Works
http://newportjetworks.com/

(949) 548-5259

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know much about Cali, but I do know I send/purchase alot from Brothers Machine Shop in Ontario, CA. Hands down one of the best machine shops I've ever dealt with. (worth cross country shipping + the wait if that says anything)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. I called my buddy that build race motorcycles. He recommended this shop

http://motorworkssd.com

They list motorcycles and boats so I'm gonna go with them unless someone thinks it's a bad idea. They said ~$400 to go through the heads valves, valves seats, and adjust the cam to valve clearance.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is nothing marine specific about the work you need done. Just saying, it doesn't matter whether they do boats are not. If they come highly recommended, no reason not to go there. Price seems kinda high, but maybe they quoted replacing seats/guides too.