• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I attempt removal of plugs?

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since I bought my AR230 (a couple years now) I have not had access to the impellers. I have tried ice, jacking, banging, and every other thing I can think of. New season coming and I am again at the impasse of whether I should continue to try to remove. I have just removed the tray for the first time ever (previously I had stopped once I learned it was caulked in). I cut the caulk and removed the tray successfully. Here are some pictures of what it looks like down in there. The starboard tube's lower hose clamp was broken and hanging. There was caulk everywhere and I am not so sure if there was supposed to be. The tubes themselves seem to be in ok condition. Do I dare start banging on these things again trying to get the plugs out? Should I try jacking up from the bottom? I really want to have access to the impellers should it be necessary but am just terrified to break something serious...

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would give it a try. First, make sure that they are in the release position. Soak the tops in some penetrating oil(for days) and jack from the bottom. If you have a tree you can back under you can attach a strap to the handle to pull up on them also. Then take a 2x2, a 3lb sledge and pound on the bottoms while they are under pressure. This will act like an impact and hopefully break them free. By looking at them it's going to take a lot of time & patience to get them free but I'm sure that it's possible as long as they are not glued in.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Now that you have the tray removed, loosen the hose clamp at the bottom of the big rubber hose and you can begin to "nudge" the plug from the sides. I would remove all the screws with the plan of just getting the tops loose and off, then drill out the bottoms and replace them with the rebuild kit - that you need to buy anyway (Jetboatpilot has a good price on the kits).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ice isn't going to help that !!

I think I might try to source some new plugs in case those get damaged during attempted removal,

What does it look like from the bottom side ??

Do the dogs engage / disengage when you press the button/handle ??

If you know the dogs are disengaged I think i might try to run a dremel gently around the top edge to try to break some of it up,
I wonder if CLR or something similar would help dissolve or weaken it ?

then I think I would get a jack underneath it with a 2x4 with constant pressure and somehow maybe put an impact wrench against the top of the plastic cause some vibration to help it separate, not really sure ????

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You only need to get the tops off.....you will have purchased new bottoms and gaskets with the rebuild kits. Focus on getting the tops off first, then just drill out the bottoms, clean up the point at which the plugs seat with wire brush on a drill etc. Done. Do not waste any time trying to bang out or pry out the bottoms.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if I can tell if the dogs are engaging/disengaging. When I push the button down it feels like there is play but I cannot visibly see any change. The whole tops/bottom description makes sense and I swear I saw a video about this once. So I can remove the screws and the tops of these things?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am not so sure that the dogs are releasing. It does seem like the T handle is coming up far enough for it to have released.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess my next step is going to be to remove the screws from the top of the plugs and see if I can't get the tops out.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the left one has a broken release button, it is totally missing. I found bottom halves of the clean out plugs on E bay for $20 each so pretty inexpensive if you just remove the top half and break out the bottom as suggested, JUST BE CAREFULL not to loose any of the internal parts because those are not available and you will probably need to replace the left plug totally because the release is missing I found the entire clean out plug new on e bay for $200 each

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
no parts for the inner working are available unless you find a used one and that is not very probable

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
no parts for the inner working are available unless you find a used one and that is not very probable
Is the only thing the left one is missing the button? That is the way I thought it was. JBP seems to have the button in stock. I may have misunderstood and there is more missing though?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is the only thing the left one is missing the button? That is the way I thought it was. JBP seems to have the button in stock. I may have misunderstood and there is more missing though?
Looks like the only thing missing is the button (to me anyway). Is it possible a prior owner glued them in? Might he have also disassembled that plug losing interior parts?

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the only thing missing is the button (to me anyway). Is it possible a prior owner glued them in? Might he have also disassembled that plug losing interior parts?
I am pretty sure anything is possible with this boat. When you say glued them in you mean the plugs? God I hope not...I think at some point today I am going to remove all the screws from the top and try to remove them. Already have the bottom rebuild kits and a button as well as a pair of ez locks on their way.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok one thing to remember IF for some reason you do not have the internal locking parts working The EZ lock will keep the plug in place by itself. Just so you know