• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I buy it? 2017 255 HO Impulse

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi,
I've spent so much time reading through all the posts on here. So much great info.
I'm looking at buying a used 2017 255 HO Impulse thats fully loaded with every option from what I can tell.
I included the original sale spec sheet which should show all the options.
The boat has less than 40 hours on the engines and I got it priced below $57k which I think is very good.

I'm just curious how well it will handle in my area. I'm in Punta Gorda, FL and would like to be able to make it up to Boca Grande, Englewood Beach and occasionally Siesta Key Beach all on calmer days for the most part. I cant find any real information on people taking these on open gulf or ocean water. Most if not all videos are either on lakes or inland.

The local Vortex dealer took me our on a 243 which was quite a nice boat but priced much higher than this deal. We took that out from the Punta Rasa boat launch near sanibel and it handled quite well. He had told me to avoid Scarab since it doesnt have the bottom profile for open water but it has identical deadrise and draft so not sure how much truth there is to that.

I'm also concerned about the issues I read and possible lawsuit about the quality control and motor alignment practices of Scarab on here. What percentage of boats will have issues with this and if I take it to the dealer preemptively will they be able to realign it at a reasonable cost?
I read that they can now be serviced at any BRP dealer so are these issue easily resolved if/when they happen?

And lastly, I just want to confirm from what I have found that these boats more or less require High Octane fuel?

We have a sea trail saturday which I'm very excited for but want to know more going in.

Thank you so much for your time and answers.

Craig
255 spec sheet.png

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Craigz Welcome to the club!

Those are beautiful boats, I've been considering a 255 for a while now, too.
Some of the items on the invoice you posted seem a bit inflated to me, but I'm not very familiar with Scarab pricing, yet. I'll leave it for others to comment on.

There are many issues that are coming up with these boats, but I'm not sure it is necessarily different than Yamaha or Chaparral or Glastron, just brand-specific issues that are distinct. Lots of information here, as you know, so that helps identify potential issues before they become catastrophic. It seems that finding a supportive and knowledgeable dealer is key, and a mechanic who is familiar with Rotax. I don't see how this could be an issue where you live!

Those Rotax engines and SCs, especially in newer Scarabs are bulletproof - and we know it because @veedubtek says so.

I'm not a Yamaha fun boy (anymore) but will say that as far as riding in rough water the new Yamaha 24' "keeled" hulls are no doubt the best fit. Especially when equipped with trim tabs, a ~$700 upgrade, these hulls handle big water almost as good as some traditional CCs. So - I would say - if running off shore is your primary consideration, and you want a jet boat, I would not exclude 2015+ Yamaha 240/242s from the search for sure.

As far as wake sports, there is relatively little we know about surfing behind Scarab JBs. Their Surf Stream Enhancement system is cool, but hard to tell how well it works. We know that Yamaha can be moded for ropeless surfing - for surfers of any size. Just ask @jcyamaharider.

--

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Prices on the options seem legit to me. Is that inland freight the cost just to ship the boat to the dealership?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the board, we're glad you found us,

He had told me to avoid Scarab since it doesn't have the bottom profile for open water
Unfortunately we've heard many lies come out of a salesman's mouth, so much that I don't trust much of what I hear,
Maybe @Ron@Scarab can confirm this since he's at a dealership, // is the bottom profile different between a Scarab and a Chaparral ?

Have you owned a boat before?

Definitely don't buy one until you test drive it and are sure it will do what you expect it to,

You're about the spend $60k of your families money, make the best informed decision you can.

Personally, I would look at the yamaha's also just because we have more members here and you can probably get more support,
everyone is different and wants different things from a boat, if it we're me I would strongly consider an 07-09 Yamaha 210-230, for $20k you can probably do about 90% of what $60k is going to buy you.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Lord! That' a fully loaded baby! I have the 16 255 without the intelligent drive....which is what some people have had problems with. Also as far as I know I still haven't heard any problems regarding alignment with the 255's.

I've been fortunate that my MarineMax dealer has been very helpful and service has been outstanding. I've had very minor problems...and none engine related...

I can' say anything about open waters, but in our lakes we get good swells and in those I kind of hate the boat. Very rough ride. Although have seen in the Scarab FB group of two 255'' that did the Exuma trip this summer.

I enjoy my baby with all its flaws and its20171026_153405.jpg easy to look at! Lol

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the replies. I never have owned a boat but I do enjoy them. I bought a house with direct gulf access and a boat lift specifically to buy a boat so I want one I'll thoroughly enjoy. $60k is a considerable chunk of change but seems like a very very good deal.

Yea I believe that freight is the dealer delivery.

I was out in the vortex and liked the jet boat in general, I think the extra length of this one will be nice.

I'm fortunate enough to be located half an hour from Rons shop and will be using him for All my service needs.

Im thinking the profile is almost identical and really I don't know why sales people lie. If I catch someone in a lie like that I will go out of my way not to use them.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have not had any engine related problems with mine at all. Ran great all summer!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although have seen in the Scarab FB group of two 255'' that did the Exuma trip this summer.
View attachment 66408 easy to look at! Lol
The Scarab's didn't make it to Exuma they stopped in Nassau and didn't continue down. There were several boats and skis in that crew only a Scout Center console, a Yamaha limited S E series and one ski actually made it all the way. The did have some tough weather from what I was told though.

ScarabJoe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Congrats on your purchase! I think you'll be happy (except that engine compartment latch issue LOL). I have 35 hours on my 2018 Scarab 255. Not quite as many options as yours but almost. I've had no other issues except those small nagging warranty issues. Mine handles OK in the gulf (I live in Tampa). We usually splash around the bay but have hit the gulf and trekked under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and headed south to Anna Maria. Had only minor issues with rough water - not too bad.

But it's definitely cool to cruise at 60 mph! Usual max speed is 56-57 but when the conditions are right I've hit 61 mph.

Once you learn the jetboat low speed maneuvering you'll be stoked.

I have no reservations about the 255 and I would definitely make the same decision again. Unfortunately I paid full price - you got a great deal!

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well I went for it. Hopefully delivery is this friday.
20171202_124406.jpg
20171202_133948.jpg
20171202_132133.jpg

I have not had any engine related problems with mine at all. Ran great all summer!
Love that color scheme.

The Scarab's didn't make it to Exuma they stopped in Nassau and didn't continue down. There were several boats and skis in that crew only a Scout Center console, a Yamaha limited S E series and one ski actually made it all the way. The did have some tough weather from what I was told though.
I'd love to join that trip this year.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Bimini sounds like fun. When do you do that?

I'll probably do a trip to nassau if I can find a good time since we have somewhere to stay there.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Craigz you cannot take seriously anything I say. I was just messing with rick.

tim maneval

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the pretty much the same response as other Florida members. I live in Tampa and have no problems with the chop and handling. I run under the sky way and hit the local islands for fun. I did listen to the weatherman one Saturday. You know the really smart guys. "light chop" actually meant that we had a tropical storm that just popped up on us one weekend. It was choppy as hell, but I could run in the 30s mph and kept dry. It pounds the waves but runs through.

Craigz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Boat was delivered friday and I spent yesterday rebuilding the bunks on my lift to match the trailer. Can't wait to have some time to get out on it.
IMG-20171209-WA0002.jpg

Fourjets

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Congratulations. Beautiful boat. Enjoy!