• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I get a bigger board?

Huck271

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I just got my boat and yesterday I tried my hand at Wakesurfing. I have a 2019 242x and we have the Wakebooster kit with the Yamaha Slingshot 5'3" board. Having never done this, my immediate thought is the board is too small. I'm 6'5" 245lb. I wanted to see if anyone else my size was out there Wakesurfing and what board you were using. My main notice was that the board doesn't keep speed and i needed constant tension on the rope. Now we are new to this and still dialing in the right ballast setup etc. to make good waves so that could definitely play in to it as well. Would like to hear feedback. The below was a video from the kids of me attempting to wakesurf try not to laugh too hard. Open to suggestions as we are hoping to wakesurf a lot this summer.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That's actually pretty good for a first try!

What speed are you driving at? Is the driver having to do constant adjustments and are they experienced at towing?

First, I'd work on stability. You're constantly moving ahead of the wave and don't adjust your weight forward when you get back on it which is why you get above and behind it. Heave you tried pumping the board when you get slightly behind?

Where are you looking? Try the left rear corner of the boat. Right now, your board seems to be pointing straight ahead, whereas it should be slightly angled towards the boat.

Keep working at it with the rope, practice practice practice!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, you do not need another board. The 5'3" Coaster is adequate for you, what you do need is done practice and finding the correct body position. Also dialing in the speed of the boat to be 1 consistent speed. Here's my assessment:
  1. Get the boat set comfortably between 10.5-11MPH and leave it for now.
  2. Pull yourself a bit closer to the boat, consider shortening the rope by 1 loop so you start closer.
  3. Start off to the side rather than centered behind the boat to so you can avoid having to pull yourself over it.
  4. Wakesurfing requires finding the center of balance between the "gas" and "brake". In reality, more gas than brake, meaning you're going to be putting more weight on your front foot the majority of the time. Your dropping back in the wake because your weight is all back and leaning backwards against the rope.
  5. Don't lean back against the rope. Get the board positioned in the pocket of the wave and focus on standing upright and moving your weight forward over your front foot. Imagine you're trying to fall down the wave. Just hang out and try to feel the push. You'll feel as you apply pressure on your front foot the board will release and go.
  6. If you're not finding slack still, try moving both feed forward on the board 1-2". In the video below, I'm on the same Coaster 5'3". Mine is the non Yamaha brand version, so different color scheme.
It's good for the first try. You just need a little practice and some time to relax.

Here's a video for comparison of starting outside of the wake, rope length and proximity to the boat, stance on the board, etc...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For reference, I'm 5'10" and 190lbs. So a bit shorter and lighter than you. However, I've been able to ride this same board ropeless while riding tandem with my 50-60lb son on it with me. We didn't last looking but that's only due to the awkwardness of riding tandem.

Try it again using the tips from the post above and see what changes. Take more video and post it here. I sell boards if we find a different board being a necessity I'll hook you up but, I think you'll be able to get it on the Coaster.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You're putting on the brakes. If it's like surfing, front foot, more pressure, like hitting the gas as your roll down. Have fun!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Weight distribution on a surf board is anywhere between 90/10 to 80/20. Front foot having most of the weight. Any slight pressure on the rear foot is like hitting the brakes, like mentioned above. What I tell new people is do not try to move the board just try to stay in one spot. Feel the wave, get your balance, get comfortable on the board. DO NOT try and go ropeless. That will come in due time. I would also suggest a 750 transom ballast bag to help out with more push.

You did really well for your first time!

Also what speed were you going and was there current ( ie River?)

Huck271

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow guys, thanks for the feedback. Speed was 10-11 mph. I did feel the rope was too long after I got up a time or two and had to pull myself into the wave. I will try next time to shift weight forward as I was definitely putting most of my weight on my back foot. I do want to play around with the ballast as maybe try to shift the weight to just one side vs both sides being full. we had a full boat with 5 people on board while i was in the water. We were in a lake and the water seemed pretty good not a rough as when the wind is really blowing or there a ton of boats out.

Philippe

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
With the 2019 242x I think you have the E-Series? thake this advantage and setup a surf speed and ballast profil as describe by J-Rad (between 10.5-11MPH)
I'm 6'4" and this board rock! No doubt!

Huck271

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With the 2019 242x I think you have the E-Series? thake this advantage and setup a surf speed and ballast profil as describe by J-Rad (between 10.5-11MPH)
I'm 6'4" and this board rock! No doubt!
How do you set the ballast up? Do you use a Wake Booster?