• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I install a bilge pump float in Yamaha 242x?

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a new 2017 Yamaha 242x a couple of weeks ago. I keep my boat in a slip on a lake for about 6 months a year. The slip is not covered but I got Yamaha's snap in bow and cockpit cover. I usually use the boat 2 to 4 time per week but there could be a period of a couple of weeks or so when it stays unused.

My question is whether the standard bilge pump is good enough for my use? If I turn off the starter battery switch but leave the house battery on when I leave the boat. My understanding is that leaving bilge in auto will cycle it every 2 minutes. As far as I know there's no float to only cycle it when the water needs to be drained.

Because the boat has solar panels, I assume this should be more than enough to keep everything functional and fully charged. I never had a problem with my old boat but it did have a float. I just had a problem with starter battery which is causing all kinds of electronics malfunctions. The dealer is going to look at it this week. They recommended that I install the float but I'm not sure if I'm batter off with a float or just keeping factory setup. They would hard wire the float to the house battery so I'll be able to turn both battery switches off.

Related question to this, does anyone know if turning battery switches off prevents batteries from being charged by the solar panels?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you Julian. Do you know if I can delete a thread? I made this post here first and then wanted to move it under General Discussion. Didn't see how to do this so created a new post there and then tried to delete this one but don't see a way to do this. Have duplicate posts now.

I agree with you that it makes sense for solar panels to be off when both batteries are off (would be nice if there was a way to keep them connected). The trade off is that if I keep the factory setup and leave house battery switch on, my battery will be charged during the day (my slip gets a ton of sun) and my guess is that the draw of original bilge pump will be less than the charge from solar panels. One downside is that the pump might wear out quicker but hopefully it would take years.

If I install another pump with a float switch, then I would risk the float being stuck and draining my battery (happened with my last boat two years ago). The solar wouldn't charge it if it's off. Also, I read a few reviews on amazon and it looks like it's not uncommon for floats to stop working. It would also be harder to detect if it's working or not (probably my biggest concern). Much easier with the standard bilge pump: can turn it on/off from connext easily and see water being pumped out as well as hear the pump.

I do have shore power but I'm trying to avoid the pain of plugging/unplugging it every time as well as installing on-board charger. I like being out of my slip within a couple of minutes: just take the cover off and go.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was told that if the switches are off, so are the solar panels, which makes sense.
I would disagree. If the switches are off I would love for the solar panels to be on. I don't need my bilge running in the driveway just to charge my batteries with the solar panels. I wonder if there is a way to bypass it?

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have looked but haven't noticed my red light being on.

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just spoke with a service rep and he told me that solar panels are directly wired to the batteries so they should charge even when the switches are off. I'm glad if this is the case. Will check this next time I'm out.

Vlad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you for everyone's input. I ended up with a float wired directly to the house battery via in-line fuse. Now I turn both batteries off when I leave my boat in the slip.

Attachments