• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shout Out: Dollar General's "LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Concentrated Cleaner"

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
LS Engines.jpg

From @OCMD: Yes, you could eat lunch in my 12 years old engine compartment with no citations from the Health Department!

By the way, here is the price on some Totally Awesome.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=totally awesome&origkw=totally awesome&sr=1
=======================================
Recently, in a different thread, on a totally different subject (ie, buffing), @OCMD posted the above post, with a incredibly great photo of his SUPER CLEAN engine compartment.
That post is here, half way down the page: https://jetboaters.net/threads/buffing-exterior.2578/#post-40929

That got me to thinking. my SKEETER (by Yamaha), which I dearly love, was purchased used from a really nice fella who took nice care of it. But the Battery, pump, oil tank compartment was a mess - Filthy. Everytime I looked in there (every time I use the Skeeter), I got a little 'sick.' And while I am not a "fan" of Dollar General, I figgered, wut the heck ? The bottle's only 3 bucks, and its concentrated. so I got some.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11786549

Today, I mixed it up @ a ratio of 5 to one. 1 Part AWESOME CLEANER, and 5 parts water. I used 1 of my wonderful CHAPIN Pump Up SPRAYERS to apply the mixture. By the way, if you've never used a Chapin Sprayer, you ain't lived. We own about 10 of them for Round Up, chemicals, Concrete Sealer, Bleach. Check them out - a great AMERICAN company. Not overseas crap type of products.
https://www.chapinmfg.com/
https://www.chapinmfg.com/products/

Anyways, I sprayed the Skeeter engine compartment. I did not use a whole lot of the cleaner. The mixture I made up amounted to maybe 2 quarts, tops. After spraying, I let it "sit." Probably for a couple hours. As a sidenote, when I did apply the cleaner, I did NOT wet down the area first. I just sprayer liberally, using up all I had mixed up.

Now the good news. Please know I THINK I may NOT have needed a pressure washer. But we have a 1500 PSI electric unit to use, when we don't wanna get out the 13HP 3200 PSI gas unit. So I used it.

Results ? Well, the Skeeter engine compartment looks NOW almost like it did when it left the factory. So I am not saying another cleaner, particularly a "purple type' degreasing heavy-duty cleaner, would not have done as good a job. I just wanted y'all to know I tried @OCMD's great suggestion, and it works like a champ.

CLEANER.jpg

Wishing y'all a great rest of the weekend, Mikey Lulejian - Going out riding now on his SeaDoo IBR JetSki ! - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been a big fan of Totally Awesome for a long time great stuff.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I used Awesome yesterday on my truck. It was covered with bugs from highway country driving, and I mean covered. I sprayed 50/50 on and let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes and brushed them all off and rinsed. I use it on the door and window frames where the grasshoppers leave that awful tobacco juice stuff. Every other product I have ever used required scrubbing and that always removed paint or dulled it minimum. Awesome is awesome. It will also remove the spider crap black dots without scrubbing from the gelcoat and vinyl for those that leave the boat in the slip.

Yamborghini

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
We use l.a. laundry detergent. Good stuff

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great review. I am buying some totally awesome after having read @OCMD post and now seeing this. Up to this point I have used Simple Green and this may be my new go to stuff

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They are different products and have different strengths, Awesome can melt organic compounds like bug guts or stains, Simple Green is a better degreaser, but they both can cross over and do some of what each excels at. Both good products to have in your arsenal!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
With Awesome, you have to be careful with it on glass full strength, and it does leave a residue you must wash off. But it melts those organic compounds like they were not there!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That is one of the only products I have ever used that has the correct name!!! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Works great on car truck interiors (leather interior with plastic door covers) also. I use full strength on my interior. Try it out on those dirty nasty floor mats. Spray on, let set and a slight scrub brush and they look almost new.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got a bottle from a new store that opened up in my area. This stuff is awesome. I cleaned my rubber interior mats with it, and it did a heck of a job.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Dang you guys! I make a special trip to a local dollar general for some totally awesome awesomeness and realize that I needed a few other things. So one bottle turned in to 2 shopping carts of stuff. Worse than my wife walking into a target!!

image.jpg

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dang you guys! I make a special trip to a local dollar general for some totally awesome awesomeness and realize that I needed a few other things. So one bottle turned in to 2 shopping carts of stuff. Worse than my wife walking into a target!!
Not sure if I should congratulate you for having such a Good Bride to influence you ...... or laugh, looking at the photo ! So many thanks for sharing ! LOL !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

View attachment 8543
That's odd!!! I see taco shells, fudge brownie mix and toilet paper. I however do not see a single bottle of TOTALLY AWESOME!!!! Did you forget to get it? LOL!!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is great and I know this will happen to me when I go there. I have never been to the dollar general but I looked it up and it is not to far for me to get there tomorrow.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok...toilet paper. This has been a topic at our house lately. We have this thin a crap stuff that is single layer. I don't know how it ended up replacing the nice soft stuff we were using, but it did! I told my wife it wasn't worth...wait...wait for it...wiping my backside with! So she brought home the Charmin. So not to get off topic and stick with Dollar General, what quality brands of TP do they carry?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Ok...toilet paper. This has been a topic at our house lately. We have this thin a crap stuff that is single layer. I don't know how it ended up replacing the nice soft stuff we were using, but it did! I told my wife it wasn't worth...wait...wait for it...wiping my backside with! So she brought home the Charmin. So not to get off topic and stick with Dollar General, what quality brands of TP do they carry?
Lol.. Mel, my wife and I have this conversation all the time. She buys the cheapest she can find and I say hey we are doing well enough in life to afford decent freaking toilet paper!!! If you want to skimp on anything else that's fine just not the backside paper... I'm not sure what Dollar General carries, I usually get my cleaning supplies at Dollar Tree. They only carry the industrial single ply with built in wood chip toilet paper. So I don't buy it there.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
This is great and I know this will happen to me when I go there. I have never been to the dollar general but I looked it up and it is not to far for me to get there tomorrow.
If you have a Dollar Tree close to you they have TOTALLY Awesome cleaner and a wealth of other cleaners and necessities..

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Lol.. Mel, my wife and I have this conversation all the time. She buys the cheapest she can find and I say hey we are doing well enough in life to afford decent freaking toilet paper!!! If you want to skimp on anything else that's fine just not the backside paper... I'm not sure what Dollar General carries, I usually get my cleaning supplies at Dollar Tree. They only carry the industrial single ply with built in wood chip toilet paper. So I don't buy it there.
Where in the hell is the "dislike" button! I like the reply, but don't want any part of that industrial single ply @JC6275 ! I am with ya bro!