• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As our jet boats are starting to shine in wake surfing, let's try to help each other built a better wake:
Show us your wake so we can compare the various surf mods.
No gimmicky pics necessary, just strait info on main features that you find helpfull in building your wake.

Here is my wake, pretty consistent at this point.
Custom ballast (~2k lbs) w/bags in center, rear (surf side) lockers, swim deck; Wake Wedge.
Pros: relatively fast setup (under 10min), integrated ballast - only swim deck bag is up, great push (will float a 220 pounder ropless on top of a small board all day long)
Cons: Switching sides cumbersome, requires much effort

Same as above, short clip (switch to 1080p):

For reference, a 25ft surf rope:

And here is a 220# floating on top of this wake, lol (on top of a small 4'7" skim style board!):

------------------------------------------
Miscellaneous / Additional info:

Trim tabs are completely retracted (above), and I do not believe those influence the wake (when deployed, the wake gets more shallow).
However, deploying the surf-side tab approx. 15-20% may be a positive - still experimenting with that.
What happens is the tab deployment forces steering nozzles to be re-directed towards the non-surf side (in order for the boat to move forward in strait line) which flattens the wake and morphs it into more of a skim-surf style (can be fun for more advanced surfers, we are just not good enough to take the advantage, yet).
This is not the best pic due to light (I will try to replace with one with similar lighting to the above) but it shows what I'm trying to describe - flattened wake, still huge push:

And a clip of the above:

--

EDIT: The boards we use are:
The Quad H/L, 59" (4'11") - amazing board, forgiving w/beveled edges but super fast at the same time
The Shim H/L, 4'7" - great new find, tons of fun, fast and nimble w/sharp edges

--

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is one of our own old jetboaters behind my boat at Shelbyville. This was before the transom bag so ballast was center locker full, port full, 750 lbs on the swim deck.

Here is one of myself, same setup:

The wife, this video was just ski locker full and transom bag full 1600lbs total :

We might do some early morning hair of the dog surfing also:

IMG_17721.jpg

hamsammy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Water finally warmed up enough (64°F) for this brave soul to give the wakebooster a try. This was her first time surfing mind you. I still have a ways to go to get the wave dialed but I'm confident a more experienced rider could have gone ropeless. 10.3 MPH with full factory ballast.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I will take pics Friday. Am picking up 500 lbs of steel bags tomorrow. That will go along with my 550lb custom swim deck ballast. My boat only has a 1300lb capacity which now with the steel I will always be at no matter how many people on the boat. Our best wake was found like this. Goofy side with swim deck ballast on goofy side, may be better on regular side. 250lbs opposite the driver. 350lbs up front. 150lbs on goofy side 200lbs on regular side. Surfing this year on a 2019 doomswell neo with future machado bamboo fins 9.8 speed rating. This picture is terrible but it may help. 7937EFAA-6562-4C51-92B8-40F5CC42E651.jpeg

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Made my own wedge. 2500lbs of ballast and 4 people on board. You can surf all day.

IMG_0917.JPGIMG_0919.JPG

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As our jet boats are starting to shine in wake surfing, let's try to help each other built a better wake:
Show us your wake so we can compare the various surf mods.
No gimmicky pics necessary, just strait info on main features that you find helpfull in building your wake.

Here is my wake, pretty consistent at this point.
Custom ballast (~2k lbs) w/bags in center, rear (surf side) lockers, swim deck; Wake Wedge.
Pros: relatively fast setup (under 10min), integrated ballast - only swim deck bag is up, great push (will float a 220 pounder ropless on top of a small board all day long)
Cons: Switching sides cumbersome, requires much effort
View attachment 95428

Same as above, short clip (switch to 1080p):

Here is a 220# floating on top of this wake (on top of a small 4'7" skim style board!):
View attachment 95430

------------------------------------------
Miscellaneous / Additional info:

Trim tabs are completely retracted (above), and I do not believe those influence the wake (when deployed, the wake gets more shallow).
However, deploying the surf-side tab approx. 15-20% may be a positive - still experimenting with that.
What happens is the tab deployment forces steering nozzles to be re-directed towards the non-surf side (in order for the boat to move forward in strait line) which flattens the wake and morphs it into more of a skim-surf style (can be fun for more advanced surfers, we are just not good enough to take the advantage, yet).
This is not the best pic due to light (I will try to replace with one with similar lighting to the above) but it shows what I'm trying to describe - flattened wake, still huge push:
View attachment 95432

And a clip of the above:

--

EDIT: The boards we use are:
The Quad H/L, 59" (4'11") - amazing board, forgiving w/beveled edges but super fast at the same time
The Shim H/L, 4'7" - great new find, tons of fun, fast and nimble w/sharp edges

--
That is a fine looking wave, sir. Not just "good for a jet", but straight up good! Well done.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
800 lbs on surf side seat, 800 lbs on swim deck. DIY wedge. Usually add an additional 500 lb unless boat full of people. We were light on this vid. Son didn't want to give up drink. He is our only goofy foot but surfs on our side.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So today was all jacked up. My fins didn't get here till 730pm fucking ups. My steel wake bags didn't get here, now not till Monday. And my 230lb homie couldn't make it. So we had the swim deck bag and 450lbs of people. Everyone was in the front of the boat. With that little weight if we tried anyone behind the driver the boat was just way to high in the air. This was the last run of the day and the only one I got footage of. I totally forgot lol prob too stoned. This proves you shouldnt throw the rope till you are able to do it and now lose your balance. Give the video sometime to get to 1080p.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys give me hope that we will have a fine wave this year. I may have to lay off the donuts though!
Here you go (I use this for inspiration!):

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So today was all jacked up. My fins didn't get here till 730pm fucking ups. My steel wake bags didn't get here, now not till Monday. And my 230lb homie couldn't make it. So we had the swim deck bag and 450lbs of people. Everyone was in the front of the boat. With that little weight if we tried anyone behind the driver the boat was just way to high in the air. This was the last run of the day and the only one I got footage of. I totally forgot lol prob too stoned. This proves you shouldnt throw the rope till you are able to do it and now lose your balance. Give the video sometime to get to 1080p.

Aside form all that lol how did you like the Nubstep? I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet but will be doing so next weekend!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Aside form all that lol how did you like the Nubstep? I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet but will be doing so next weekend!
I hated it. I exchanged it for the neo. Which I love.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What didn't you like about it? They seem really closely designed.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
They are very closely designed. If I had a Max I'd have kept the nubstep, but for my little wake it just wasn't able to really stay in the pocket or recover at all. And when you tried to push it almost every time it would nose dive, since the nose is longer and more surf oriented. The neo seems a bit more stable, faster and doesn't nose dive, since the nose is blunt. More made for a boat wake. It's less nimble and won't have as much pop. Also interestingly when I demoed both the nubstep had speed generating blackstix fins where the neo was stock. The neo was a 4'6" and the nubstep was a 4'8". I bought the 4'8" neo which felt quicker even with 375lbs less on the boat. I also ordered blackstix machado fins with like a 10.7 rating.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What didn't you like about it? They seem really closely designed.
Keep in mind @Arcadyus is a crazy @ss snowboarder, the skills don’t translate completely but still!!