• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shut off valves fitted also allowing Engines to be flushed while moored in Marina ( 06 AR 230 )

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize that this subject has been approached before and probably discussed on numerous occasions however after a few days weighing up the pro's and cons and as i was in the process of writing other Posts and my rear tray was out i decided to fit a couple of valves, I had considered Brass and steel and stainless versions and discarded those ideas as i use my Boat in salt water and sooner or later i felt that they would create problems so i went for a pair of PVC valves with no metal parts and tested to 150 psi and is acid proof, I thought that would be just the ticket, I also opted to place the valves under the rear tray as some days when i return to the Marina it would be handy to be able to close the water inlet tubes and flush each engine separately with fresh water thus dumping any salt water from inside the Engine back into the sea via the exhaust etc, Ok this is how i went about it so let me know your comments, It's not a difficult job and you should tackle it without any problems so don't be scared of having a go your only cutting a rubber hose that you can replace very easy if you wanted to and revert back to normal, There is a few tips on the way so here we go.

IMG_1942.JPG
Your rear tray has been removed, If you have been reading my recent posts i will carry on from there, Remove the drain off pipe, Now we need to locate the pipes that are to be cut.

IMG_2009.JPG
I used one of these rechargeable LED lights that fit on your head as you cant beat a little light on the subject and also it fits perfect around the large rear tubes and lights the working area very well. A long shafted flat headed screwdriver the longer the better a good blade some grips and a pair of pliers are also needed.

IMG_1983.JPG
Lay down on the top of the Air filter and locate the Y connection, It's at the back left hand side of the engine at the bottom it has 2 Black pipes and 1 red pipe connected to it and the 1 pipe goes through the bulkhead.

IMG_2007.JPG
Ok here it is you can see the concertina pipe that protects it as it goes through the bulkhead remove the hose clip and the pipe you may have to cut the pipe if it doesn't want to come off but just cut it were it goes onto the Y connector and remove the rest of the pipe left on the Y connector with a sharp blade.

IMG_1968.JPG
If your working alone when you locate the pipe from behind the engine push a wooden skewer through the bulkhead next to the pipe so you can follow the pipe from under the rear tray to see where it goes to and also to judge where the best position to place the valve so it can be seen and operated through the inspection hatch.

IMG_1968.JPG
You have now observed the route the pipe takes and where it connects to the rear transom before it enters the jet pump, Choose a suitable position along the pipe that allows good vision from the inspection hole and cut the pipe, Release the pipe from the transom side and from the Y connector and take the 2 pieces of pipe out this will give you freedom to work and replace all clips with new ones.

IMG_1975.JPG
1/2 inch PVC Ball valve

IMG_1974.JPG
Ok some reducers and hose clips and jointing connectors and some PVC glue and were in business don't worry about the quantity in this Photo you wont use all of this it's just over here they sell these things in bags of 4, Oh i had a idea with the plastic tube which i wanted to try, I wanted to add a piece so i could monitor the water flow just for curiosity really and see at what rate it flowed at but you don't have to do that just add the valve between the 2 pipes if you want to, You can always take one of the pieces of pipe with you to the DIY shop and make sure you get all the correct parts before you put it back together just build it in the shop, Don't forget you have 2 engines to do.

IMG_1985.JPG
Just run some glue inside the end of the valve and push the reducers into it it's dry in about 30 seconds and you wont move it.

IMG_1981.JPG You can see the plastic section i added and the pipe to pipe connector all new hose connectors i hate the ones that are already on the pipes

IMG_1982.JPG
New clips on the original hose we cut

IMG_2007.JPG
Don't forget to replace the outer protection before you refit, If you have a problem removing the original clip from the Y connector cut the hose where it goes onto the Y connector and remove the clip and just run a sharp blade over the small piece of hose left on the Y connector and remove it that way you only loose about an inch and your adding more than that with the valve.

IMG_1988.JPG
Ok now you only have to make 2 connections on the actual boat as you have added the valve out of the way of the Boat so no awkward places to work and fitted all new hose clips at the same time, Refit the hose and position your new valve where it can be seen and accessed easily and make sure there are no kinks in the hose when you refit it then do the same procedure to the other side, As you can see by mine in this Photo it's very easy to get to and no hot engine to climb over, Now not only have i isolated the engines in case of problems that may incur in future but if i choose to leave the boat in the water at the Marina i can connect the hose pipe to it and flush the engines out with fresh water without taking in saltwater, Don't forget to connect the rear tray drainpipe and put new silicon around the tubes after you have done both sides, Job done, I think i have given as much information as possible and made the description of how i did the job as easy to follow as i can but you tell me and if there is anything i can help you with if your not 100% sure of something just let me know, Total cost around $15 a lot cheaper than a new engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice write up. I put my valves in the same spot, very useful location.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up. I put my valves in the same spot, very useful location.
Thanks for that, I took a while to decide where would be the best place to put them and thought there made the most sense as it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't been out for about a week as the weather hasn't been to kind but last weekend it all got back to normal and i couldn't wait to get out again, I also needed to check all the jobs i had done in the posts i had written were ok and if any mods needed doing i could tell you about them, Well I'm happy to report all went well i spent about 30 minutes in the Marina checking the shut off valves i fitted, I checked for leaks etc and happy to report no problems there, I had changed the oil and used those Mazda oil filters i had put in the tips section and all seemed ok on that front also, When i got back to the Marina after 2 days having fun and relaxing on the Boat i shut the valves and flushed the engines in the Marina and again all went well so I'm happy with the results and nothing bad to report, There's a few Photos here and in my album section of a great weekend in the Boat.

IMG_1856.JPG
Conditions were perfect i was all ready to go

IMG_2013.JPGIMG_2014.JPG
Flushed the engines using the shut off valves and all worked fine

Last edited:

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't been out for about a week as the weather hasn't been to kind but last weekend it all got back to normal and i couldn't wait to get out again, I also needed to check all the jobs i had done in the posts i had written were ok and if any mods needed doing i could tell you about them, Well I'm happy to report all went well i spent about 30 minutes in the Marina checking the shut off valves i fitted, I checked for leaks etc and happy to report no problems there, I had changed the oil and used those Mazda oil filters i had put in the tips section and all seemed ok on that front also, When i got back to the Marina after 2 days having fun and relaxing on the Boat i shut the valves and flushed the engines in the Marina and again all went well so I'm happy with the results and nothing bad to report, There's a few Photos here and in my album section of a great weekend in the Boat.

View attachment 14545

View attachment 14546View attachment 14547

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 14545

View attachment 14546View attachment 14547

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was confused at first. Shutoff valves are not normally needed for flushing. But I think I get it now. Is the intention here to allow freshwater engine flushing while the boat (and jet pump) is still sitting in salt water?

Kinda makes sense, but then again, I can't imagine using the boat in salt water and not having the jet pump get a freshwater flush too. So maybe I'm still missing the point here? o_O

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was confused at first. Shutoff valves are not normally needed for flushing. But I think I get it now. Is the intention here to allow freshwater engine flushing while the boat (and jet pump) is still sitting in salt water?

Kinda makes sense, but then again, I can't imagine using the boat in salt water and not having the jet pump get a freshwater flush too. So maybe I'm still missing the point here? o_O
It means that if for example your on holiday and leave your Boat in the Marina in saltwater you are able to flush fresh water through the engines without taking saltwater in the intakes so cleaning all salt out of the engine and not leaving it inside hot engines to dry on metal surfaces, I usually leave mine in the water for about 3 days at a time and it means i can flush every time i return back to the Marina now, I went out last weekend and i will go out again today and take the Boat out of the water later having already flushed it when i return.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the Boat out of the water today and thought i would flush it through with fresh water again as i decided to use it yesterday and it was late when i got back so i never had time to flush it on the dock, As it was flushing i watched the flow of water at the jet pump end and it seemed good and then i closed the new shut off valves i had fitted and wow what a difference it really sent the water through the engine and cylinder head, With that Y connector inline some water goes back through the inlet and comes out of the jet nozzles when you flush so only a percentage actually goes through the engine, There was a big difference after i closed the valves so more water means better flushing.

wayne484

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize that this subject has been approached before and probably discussed on numerous occasions however after a few days weighing up the pro's and cons and as i was in the process of writing other Posts and my rear tray was out i decided to fit a couple of valves, I had considered Brass and steel and stainless versions and discarded those ideas as i use my Boat in salt water and sooner or later i felt that they would create problems so i went for a pair of PVC valves with no metal parts and tested to 150 psi and is acid proof, I thought that would be just the ticket, I also opted to place the valves under the rear tray as some days when i return to the Marina it would be handy to be able to close the water inlet tubes and flush each engine separately with fresh water thus dumping any salt water from inside the Engine back into the sea via the exhaust etc, Ok this is how i went about it so let me know your comments, It's not a difficult job and you should tackle it without any problems so don't be scared of having a go your only cutting a rubber hose that you can replace very easy if you wanted to and revert back to normal, There is a few tips on the way so here we go.

View attachment 14308
Your rear tray has been removed, If you have been reading my recent posts i will carry on from there, Remove the drain off pipe, Now we need to locate the pipes that are to be cut.

View attachment 14309
I used one of these rechargeable LED lights that fit on your head as you cant beat a little light on the subject and also it fits perfect around the large rear tubes and lights the working area very well. A long shafted flat headed screwdriver the longer the better a good blade some grips and a pair of pliers are also needed.

View attachment 14310
Lay down on the top of the Air filter and locate the Y connection, It's at the back left hand side of the engine at the bottom it has 2 Black pipes and 1 red pipe connected to it and the 1 pipe goes through the bulkhead.

View attachment 14307
Ok here it is you can see the concertina pipe that protects it as it goes through the bulkhead remove the hose clip and the pipe you may have to cut the pipe if it doesn't want to come off but just cut it were it goes onto the Y connector and remove the rest of the pipe left on the Y connector with a sharp blade.

View attachment 14297
If your working alone when you locate the pipe from behind the engine push a wooden skewer through the bulkhead next to the pipe so you can follow the pipe from under the rear tray to see where it goes to and also to judge where the best position to place the valve so it can be seen and operated through the inspection hatch.

View attachment 14297
You have now observed the route the pipe takes and where it connects to the rear transom before it enters the jet pump, Choose a suitable position along the pipe that allows good vision from the inspection hole and cut the pipe, Release the pipe from the transom side and from the Y connector and take the 2 pieces of pipe out this will give you freedom to work and replace all clips with new ones.

View attachment 14299
1/2 inch PVC Ball valve

View attachment 14300
Ok some reducers and hose clips and jointing connectors and some PVC glue and were in business don't worry about the quantity in this Photo you wont use all of this it's just over here they sell these things in bags of 4, Oh i had a idea with the plastic tube which i wanted to try, I wanted to add a piece so i could monitor the water flow just for curiosity really and see at what rate it flowed at but you don't have to do that just add the valve between the 2 pipes if you want to, You can always take one of the pieces of pipe with you to the DIY shop and make sure you get all the correct parts before you put it back together just build it in the shop, Don't forget you have 2 engines to do.

View attachment 14303
Just run some glue inside the end of the valve and push the reducers into it it's dry in about 30 seconds and you wont move it.

View attachment 14301 You can see the plastic section i added and the pipe to pipe connector all new hose connectors i hate the ones that are already on the pipes

View attachment 14302

View attachment 14307
Don't forget to replace the outer protection before you refit, If you have a problem removing the original clip from the Y connector cut the hose where it goes onto the Y connector and remove the clip and just run a sharp blade over the small piece of hose left on the Y connector and remove it that way you only loose about an inch and your adding more than that with the valve.

View attachment 14304
Ok now you only have to make 2 connections on the actual boat as you have added the valve out of the way of the Boat so no awkward places to work and fitted all new hose clips at the same time, Refit the hose and position your new valve where it can be seen and accessed easily and make sure there are no kinks in the hose when you refit it then do the same procedure to the other side, As you can see by mine in this Photo it's very easy to get to and no hot engine to climb over, Now not only have i isolated the engines in case of problems that may incur in future but if i choose to leave the boat in the water at the Marina i can connect the hose pipe to it and flush the engines out with fresh water without taking in saltwater, Don't forget to connect the rear tray drainpipe and put new silicon around the tubes after you have done both sides, Job done, I think i have given as much information as possible and made the description of how i did the job as easy to follow as i can but you tell me and if there is anything i can help you with if your not 100% sure of something just let me know, Total cost around $15 a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Nice write up!

View attachment 14308

View attachment 14309

View attachment 14310

View attachment 14307

View attachment 14297

View attachment 14297

View attachment 14299
1/2 inch PVC Ball valve

View attachment 14300

View attachment 14303

View attachment 14301 You can see the plastic section i added and the pipe to pipe connector all new hose connectors i hate the ones that are already on the pipes

View attachment 14302

View attachment 14307

View attachment 14304
Nice write up! Did you use 1/2" slip X 1/2 Barb fittings? I cannot find 1/2" slip X 5/8 barb anywhere?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This forum rocks.

A guy asks a question in a thread started 5 years ago by someone boating on a different continent.
Gets a response in under 45min.

👍🆒

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This forum rocks.

A guy asks a question in a thread started 5 years ago by someone boating on a different continent.
Gets a response in under 45min.

👍🆒

--
Yeah, 45 minutes...Geoff is slipping a bit. I'll bet his housekeeper was keeping him busy.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
House keepers were checking the shut off valves Gym

770.jpg805.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmm 4 housekeepers to handle 2 ball valves? I'm a little suspicious. ;)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gym i think you looked at the wrong quote and photos!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length