• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Side skirts for keeping sun off the boat?

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone know of a vendor that can make a side skirt that will cover the sides? I want one that will hook on the rear cleats and then up and around the front & all the way to the other rear cleat. The idea is to keep the sun from baking the black finish.

I've searched the Internet but have yet to find one that can do it without needing the boat there. I would want to put this on and then the factory delux cover over it.

Thanks for the assist.

Attachments

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never seen anything like this for sale but have seen photos like what you posted. As far as a vendor, find a local canvas shop. That would be your best bet.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Any canvas shop could make it. But I doubt anyone could do it without the boat. It would help if you added your location to your profile. Others could steer you to someone to help.
Welcome to the site!:Welcome:

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any canvas shop could make it. But I doubt anyone could do it without the boat. It would help if you added your location to your profile. Others could steer you to someone to help.
Welcome to the site!:Welcome:
Thanks, I live 11 miles from Downtown Charleston. The shops around here are pretty minimalist that I have found. When I had a t-top bay boat, the guy who made the top worked locally but totally from model number.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found a local marine shop that was able to make th is for me from my concept and photos of others from different boats. This is a sunbrella type fabric and she used heavy leatherish material around the cleat spots as well as a couple of straps that hook to areas in between the cleats. There are 4 sandbags that hold it down as well. I do not trailer with this on but it comes off in 2 minutes.

With a black boat and not having a garage large enough to hold it, I do keep it outside & it is black. The sun is not nice to black gel coat so I had to get something. This works perfectly and, when the grey cover is done, the replacement will be the black one that Yamaha sells.

It now will stay perfectly clean and shiny for years to come. The person who made the skirt has the template now so if you want one and are out of town, you can still order one. If you'd like one, PM me and I'll send you her contact info.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgive me, but doesn't keeping the hull waxed UV protect it?

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Forgive me, but doesn't keeping the hull waxed UV protect it?
To a degree, yes. This will no matter what though! I have OCD issues with having my cars and the boat clean. While I did not want a black boat, I got it for a great price with just 7.6 hours so I was willing to live with black. The black boats that I see near me are all chalked out and look horrible. I'm not sure of their owner's waxing habits but didn't want to find out the hard way. In the 8 months since I got it I could see that it was not as good looking as the day I got it. It had been stored indoors in northern Michigian since new and was spotless.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To a degree, yes. This will no matter what though! I have OCD issues with having my cars and the boat clean.
And I thought I had OCD issues. . . . . at least you're certainly in the right place. = )

Regarding black hulls. . . .(and this may vary from waterway to waterway) I have found that my boat has actually resisted growth and looks better then literally ANY other white hull boat I have seen. Even those who launch just for the weekend and park em on a trailer otherwise. I wet slip from May - Sept and have VERY little growth to contend with. I wax twice a year and she still looks like the day I picked her up (minus the scuffs from the factory POS bow roller before I installed the Stoltz)

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And I thought I had OCD issues. . . . . at least you're certainly in the right place. = )

Regarding black hulls. . . .(and this may vary from waterway to waterway) I have found that my boat has actually resisted growth and looks better then literally ANY other white hull boat I have seen. Even those who launch just for the weekend and park em on a trailer otherwise. I wet slip from May - Sept and have VERY little growth to contend with. I wax twice a year and she still looks like the day I picked her up (minus the scuffs from the factory POS bow roller before I installed the Stoltz)
It is mostly salt and brackish where I am. I spend a good 2 hours cleaning the frig out of it every time we are done for the day. What are the Stoltz "

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
STOLTZ bow roller for the trailer. It replaces the factory POS bow roller that is notorious for marking up the hulls.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks - I put one of those stainless steel covers on the front of the boat near the eye hook. It seems to work well from what I can tell.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@piney1 I plan on doing this as well when i get a new cover this spring. How much did they charge to add the skirts? I keep my boat on a lift and the sun does hit the blue pretty hard.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bump

Got my side skirts added to my new OEM mooring cover. Yay for keeping the sun off the sides to prevent oxidation!

File_000.jpeg

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sweet. How much to do that? Like it!!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@piney1 it was $500 for the skirts to be added to the OEM mooring cover. I was quoted around 1500-1700 for full custom cover with skirts so the new OEM cover with skirts option saved me about 600 bucks. I am happy with it.