• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Simrad GO7 XSR With TotalScan Transducer - Too High or Too Low or...

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wrapped up my Totalscan install the other day and had the boat out in the water yesterday. The Totalscan seemed to do OK with keeping depth but I felt like it lost it more often than I would of expected. I've read on these forums that some haven't had any issues over 40+mph. I saw it dropping sometimes in the 20's cruising in the gulf and I wasn't sure why. Here is where it's currently located. I did have it located maybe 1 inch higher a day ago and adjusted it down thinking it was coming out of the water and thus loosing depth. However, now I'm wondering if its too low (white wash causing poor readings) or possibly still not low enough? Or, is it normal for these types of transducers to lose depth randomly. I've done nothing, yet, to calibrate or adjust offsets etc and it does seem to be pretty accurate in terms of matching the factory context/Yamaha depth gauge. I wanted this one because its much easier to see on the Simrad.

IMG_0907.JPG IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0911.JPG

Attachments

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like it needs to be higher. The right hand edge should be a hair higher than the bottom of the hull

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neutron Thanks for the feedback. For clarification, are you saying the "x" in my Paint picture should be where the horizontal red is at?

IMG_0911_LI.jpg

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yup, exactly.
Thats where mine is and it works great.

From what i have ever seen from transducer installations thats the correct position when installing on an angled transom

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agree with Neutron, raise it a bit. This style transducer works best when it is just barely skimming the water. All sorts of turbulence with it mounted this low (and more susceptible to getting yanked off if you run over something).

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did move it up and it seems to hold depth up to and above 40mph so far! I'll hopefully get the boat back out on the water this week/weekend to check it some more. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
mine is where they installed theirs but further to the right as far as I could go and have no issues.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Im Thinking you can replace the connex with this simrad go7. Im looking for info as to how.

Dthiss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
My dealer is installing my TotalScan transducer today. :D

Stang7tl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
My dealer is installing my TotalScan transducer today. :D
how did you transducer turn out on your open 195? Any pics of it mounted? going to install the total scan on mine

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
how did you transducer turn out on your open 195? Any pics of it mounted? going to install the total scan on mine
Transducer should be just touching the water while on plain approximately 1/4 inch lower toward the trailing end for best results. That being said it absolutely needs to be in clean water, free of any turbulence/cavitation.

Last edited: