• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Skar audio amps and speakers

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone used this gear? I'm going to do an audio upgrade on my 242 LSE and have seen positive reviews on this equipment.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Depends what you want to achieve.

You get what you pay for with Skar, which is not high quality and I would consider them a downgrade from what you have now (a 1000w 4/ch amp for $199 is not possible without cutting corners and they rate all their amps at 2ohms for bigger and more impressive numbers). I would rate them in the lower-mid range for quality and would not rate them better than the Polks (unless damaged). JL and WetSounds being the top end at a higher cost, are worth it for their level of performance, and their are some bargains to be had.

If you're just looking for more volume and performance, perhaps consider adding or upgrading the amp for the speakers you already have? I recently added a JL Audio MX 500/4 to boost the power to the stock Polk speakers in my 212s and now they pump nicely (had to run new speaker wires as Yamaha wires the stern and cockpit in series - yuck). The JL 280/4 would have easily sufficed for these speakers and their power range, but for the slight cost difference on sale the 500/4 adds much more power in the event I upgrade to more powerful speakers down the road. If cost is an issue, consider the MX 280/4 from JL and you won't be disappointed. Just add the cost of some speaker wire and connectors, and for a reasonable price you have a system that can pump pretty good.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Also the Marine 4ch amp is a A/b amp should sound good but is less efficient and believe they run a fan on the back to try and run cooler. It helps but just another thing to go wrong.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m super happy with my JL amp/sub and Polk speakers in my boat but recently replaced my factory alpine subwoofer in my Ram with a $40 Skar 8” sub from amazon. It’s a little more crisp and slightly more boom but not much.