• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ski locker hatch - Struts?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone installed a strut or other for the ski locker hatch on an LS or LX series boat? Any pictures or specific part numbers?

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always used a short bungee cord through the hole in the port seat then hooked the hooks on the edge of the ski locker hatch to keep it open. You may find that area is fairly moist most of the time and the struts like on a car hatch may rust quickly in that environment.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone installed a strut or other for the ski locker hatch on an LS or LX series boat? Any pictures or specific part numbers?
I was also thinking while down west marine to get a new snap for my cover....rather than a bungee through the hole on the passenger seat you could use a web strap with a snap at either end and loop that through the hole in the seat and put the “male” side of the snaps on the underside of the hatch. Full disclosure the bungee method I used sometimes slipped off causing the hatch to slam closed with the force of one of Marie Antoinette’s guillotines.

I’m going to visit the old boat over the 4th of July. We have a few small projects to do on it but I’m glad my GFs son and his family are getting some great use out of it.

07E47EEA-5704-40BA-9627-F9014F89C2BC.jpeg

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great advice and that’s a great picture!

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s pretty much the way I did it. Glad it worked out. I really do miss all of the fun little projects we’d do on the 2-strokes. The new boat is fantastic but it’s basically turn key complete. All I really do is wash it and put gas in it. LoL.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s pretty much the way I did it. Glad it worked out. I really do miss all of the fun little projects we’d do on the 2-strokes. The new boat is fantastic but it’s basically turn key complete. All I really do is wash it and put gas in it. LoL.
Agreed - I damaged one of the plastic tubs that fit into the console yesterday so I get to fix that today. I would miss all of the improvement projects.

My boat is running better than ever. Yesterday was on the Chesapeake bay with 5 adults. It was very windy and what some would say choppy but we had a lot of fun cruising to the sand bar and ending the day at the Nauti Goose.

I have been contemplating a newer boat just so I don't make smoke everywhere I go. The larger boats are not a good option for me unless I was keeping at a Marina. Right now, my option would be a 212x or ss.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah I was back and forth over the bay bridge yesterday for a funeral in DC. Looked better in the afternoon then it did at 900 AM when we came over.