• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Slippery seadeck

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 16 242 limited se, I bought used. Under the rear filler cushion, is that factory seadeck or was that put in after? That piece gets very slippery when wet. It's there any way to correct that? I had a passenger slip this weekend.

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see no one has replied, I have the same issue. I would think that if you have that cushion installed or it was in the past perhaps it has developed a film. Try dawn/bleech mix with a soft brush. If there is a film it should remove it. I brought my boat home from the dealer and that center cushion was taken out imediatly.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is aftermarket. The cushion is what Yamaha has there, and the typical reason an owner removes that cushion is to allow use of that area as a walkthrough and hopefully avoid people stepping all over your cushions.

That's the reason I have it there, and we'll keep it there. It sounds as if that piece is dirty, it's typically not slippery, but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell, since we are only going on the description that someone fell while passing through that area, and it may or may not be related to a piece of SeaDek.

I can say this - the fiberglass decking, even with the non-skid pattern, can still be quite slippery when coming through that area also, so this isn't necessarily a problem with that padding

Pics of these types of things ALWAYS help, as there is absolutely no way to determine if someone is explaining the area right, and, to compare it with what someone who does not have this issue. maybe it needs to be cleaned, maybe it looks the exact same as a brand new piece, maybe someone believes their boat is pristine and to suggest otherwise is an affront to their character! Harumph!

Take multiple pics. Take close up pics, take pics of the entire area, take pics that show the general area of what you are trying to describe. Help US help YOU.

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
The attached photo shows the piece of material in the cockpit. Most of the grain in the pad was worn down. I ended up tearing it out and ordered a new one from the folks at jetboatpilot. I am just waiting on the weather to warm up to install the new one. I can tell from the new piece of decking the old one was worn out.20200627_091155.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The attached photo shows the piece of material in the cockpit. Most of the grain in the pad was worn down. I ended up tearing it out and ordered a new one from the folks at jetboatpilot. I am just waiting on the weather to warm up to install the new one. I can tell from the new piece of decking the old one was worn out.View attachment 148257
Looking at that, it almost appears as if they put the seat cushion back in over top of that every time. My piece doesn't have that teak pattern, and it's a camo-style, so it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as yours. Everyone should use their boat as they wish, but in my case, I decided that I would be replacing that piece sooner than I should need to if I kept putting the seat cushion back in, and your pic really seems to bear that out. I don't know if you like it, or if you want the cushion for seating needs, but I put my cushion in a storage compartment to see if it would ever really be needed. I've had 6-8 people on the boat pretty regularly, and I've never once had a need for that cushion. After removing it from the boat after a few weeks, I've never missed it, either. Boat's only rated for 10, and my thought is once I've got 8, I'm close to the weight limit, so I'd never push it beyond 8.

I really like that darker trim on the seats too, that's a nice color, looks very classy!

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Looking at that, it almost appears as if they put the seat cushion back in over top of that every time. My piece doesn't have that teak pattern, and it's a camo-style, so it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as yours. Everyone should use their boat as they wish, but in my case, I decided that I would be replacing that piece sooner than I should need to if I kept putting the seat cushion back in, and your pic really seems to bear that out. I don't know if you like it, or if you want the cushion for seating needs, but I put my cushion in a storage compartment to see if it would ever really be needed. I've had 6-8 people on the boat pretty regularly, and I've never once had a need for that cushion. After removing it from the boat after a few weeks, I've never missed it, either. Boat's only rated for 10, and my thought is once I've got 8, I'm close to the weight limit, so I'd never push it beyond 8.

I really like that darker trim on the seats too, that's a nice color, looks very classy!
Thanks! I bought the boat with 80 hours and last season i put on over 100. I didn't use the seat once all of last season, didn't even have it in the boat. I tried cleaning the old one but there was nothing i could do to keep it from being slick. I ended up putting a rag down on it when it got wet. Hopefully the new one will change all that.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I bought the boat with 80 hours and last season i put on over 100. I didn't use the seat once all of last season, didn't even have it in the boat. I tried cleaning the old one but there was nothing i could do to keep it from being slick. I ended up putting a rag down on it when it got wet. Hopefully the new one will change all that.
Did you remove it already? In this case, it might be better to have folks stepping on that seat cushion. Sounds like you're going to be leaving the cushion out as well, so it might end up being a bit safer than the SeaDek. Only downside I can see is that it might have guests thinking it's ok to step on ANY cushion.

In the long run, it's a boat, it's going to get used, so I try not to stress too much about folks stepping on my cushions, but if I can encourage them NOT to use them as walking surfaces, all the better. I've got a bigger worry with trying to keep an eye on my grandsons always wanting to play with the new speakers I just put in!

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Did you remove it already? In this case, it might be better to have folks stepping on that seat cushion. Sounds like you're going to be leaving the cushion out as well, so it might end up being a bit safer than the SeaDek. Only downside I can see is that it might have guests thinking it's ok to step on ANY cushion.

In the long run, it's a boat, it's going to get used, so I try not to stress too much about folks stepping on my cushions, but if I can encourage them NOT to use them as walking surfaces, all the better. I've got a bigger worry with trying to keep an eye on my grandsons always wanting to play with the new speakers I just put in!
I did rip out the old material. I still have a little cleanup of the old glue but plan to put the new piece of SeaDek down this weekend. Looks like the weather is going to be in the 80's all weekend! 20210429_151736.jpg

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I imagine the new pad will solve your issues, could be wrong. I had a issue on my first boat, it was a 2005 Sugar Sand. The ladies would soak themselves with tanning oil and this would cause some issues. I traded that for a new 2019 AR210 and the first time out someone used a oil that bleached part of the new seat cushion. There is now a "NO TANING OIL" rule on my boat lol. I just picked up a 2012 242LS and ordered the all option Seadeck for 240 yesterday. I went the 240 route because I do not like the swim platform cushions. If I want to install longer screw snaps I can use them. But as I said in my first post if I leave the cushion on top of the Seadeck it may develop a slimey film if the cushions are put up wet.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can tell you that the OEM Marine Mat piece that is between the rear cushions on the swim deck get way slick. I have busted my rear twice (once I fell in the water) stepping on it while it was wet. I have never had Seadek get that slippery.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell you that the OEM Marine Mat piece that is between the rear cushions on the swim deck get way slick. I have busted my rear twice (once I fell in the water) stepping on it while it was wet. I have never had Seadek get that slippery.
I have had just the opposite experience. Is it possible that there is something on yours that isn't visible to the naked eye (or you're accustomed to the look so it doesn't stand out)?

Maybe try a purple degreaser on it just to ensure that nothing is hiding in plain sight, and that the mats themselves can be the only thing to blame? I have had to do this to remove a stain on mine, that's why it came to mind.