• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Smoked brisket

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got a full packer brisket to smoke this weekend. It started out at about 18 lbs.
image.jpeg
I trimmed the fat down, applied the rub and let it sit over night. Today I put it on the smoker at 10am and plan to smoke for 18-20 hours at 180* until it reaches an internal temp of 205. I've tried a few ways, and found that I prefer to mop every hour or so, and leave the meat uncovered for a better bark.

I also plan to try the "burnt ends" with the point that @djetok mentioned in another post.

What's everyone's protocol for brisket? Do you foil? Do you marinade, rub, mop or inject?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So is this still cooking? And what time is dinner?

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've started cheating my long smokes lately-

Most recently (wknd after Thanksgiving) sous vide the brisket to 155, then smoked for 3 hours to finish and get the bark. Was worried that having cooked the meat 2/3 first that smoke would not take, but I was wrong to worry. Very good smoked taste!!

This is the guide that I am currently using and have been varying options to find the one for us. (The 155 option is current favorite.)
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

We are using the Anova sous vide cooker. Awesome! https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/?gclid=COTqj7DV2tACFUVMDQod0MMEAg
Can get on Amazon.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just took it off the smoker. Took about 21 hours to reach 205. It's wrapped in foil and in a cooler with a some towels until lunchtime @McMark! It smells fantastic, but it'll be a few more hours before I know how it turned out.

@Glen I've been looking at getting a vacuum sealer to keep servings of what I smoke and reheat sous vide style. I watched the video for that cooker earlier this week. Looks nice!