• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Snake repellent

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so as you all are aware that we have had a lot of rain here in Oklahoma and Texas. any way the snakes are looking for a dry and warm spot, there are dozens of them smashed all over the roads. My property backs up to undeveloped woods and they are coming into my yard, I put out granulated sulfur every year to help with this problem and to keep the chiggers away. but i still have them coming into my yard, Soooo i am asking what is the best repellent you have used and what i maybe can do to deture this problem. Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bad snakes or good snakes?

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
copper heads

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Jebinok I've heard and seen proof that snakes don't like to cross over a hose because it resembles another snake. It worked for my in-laws when they had a garden. Are you trying to keep them away from the house? I'm really surprised I have not come across any yet this year being as close as I am to several ponds and being in the woods. One of my neighbors up the street killed a large copperhead and threw it out in the street for some reason several weeks ago. My best defense is a flat headed shovel to chop it's head off and sling it over the back fence into the pasture for a snack for the coyotes.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
lol....not so sure about the hose theory as I found one coiled up today with my hose! Scared the crap out of me!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
lol....not so sure about the hose theory as I found one coiled up today with my hose! Scared the crap out of me!
Maybe it was a really good looking hose. Snakes get lonely too!!

hoppersteven

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Snake away from home depot. Worked great for me when I lived in MO. I have also read that a larger diameter rough rope works cause they don't like the feel of it when they crawl over it

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Go find some big black snakes and king snakes(both good snakes)...they will go to town on those copperheads!!

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've heard mothballs work well. The challenge is finding something the rain won't quickly wash away.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sorry, couldn't contribute anything useful to this thread.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried long winters and crummy springs where you don't REALLY get into the 70's until June? That's been working well for me.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20150518_101214.jpg
I agree with Jim. Keep a few king snakes around and copperheads will avoid your place.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was working in my landscaping this morning and as I was cleaning up I found a little copperhead that was staring straight at me. With a wife and dog I can't have these suckers around the house. Anyone know of any repellents that work?
Edged tools work well. Or projectiles can be used, with practice, if you prefer to keep your distance.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was out in the yard on Sunday and noticed a very dark branch. I hope he has been having a good year of growth thanks to the copperheads we have around here too. He chilled out on the branch for an hour or so.
IMG_5669.JPG

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried long winters and crummy springs where you don't REALLY get into the 70's until June? That's been working well for me.
Yeah, 6 feet of snow every winter seems to work well for us also. I never see snakes while ice fishing either...