• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Snow on premium mooring cover

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For you guys up north...how much should I worry about snow piling up on my premium mooring cover? We don't get much around here, but it's wet and heavy.
My boat is outside of it's normal covered storage during the transition to my wet slip. I brushed a little snow off to reduce the weight, but I don't think I can keep up with it.
I figure there must be hundreds or even thousands of these boats outside with snow piled on top of them...
Would hate to see this $800 cover get torn up...

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone is storing their boats exposed with a premium mooring cover in the north this winter. . . . . I bet it isn't lasting long.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would get as much as you can off it or it will stretch out from the weight.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get the weight off it ASAP. That canvas will shred especially if the snow melts and soaks in then freezes. If you waterproofing is recent it is less of a worry but I lost a waverunner cover to ice last winter.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
doing the best I can to get it off...maybe that will help....just poor timing with the move...grrrrr.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Most boats that are kept outside up here in the north are shrink wrapped.

That premium cover wouldn't last very long under a heavy load of snow.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine sits in my driveway with the mooring cover on all winter. I use a premium poly tarp over top mostly to help the snow slide off and shield it from winter UV. My tool of choice is a 14" push broom with a 6' handle extension. When it snows it use the broom to pull it off of the boat onto the ground. Snow is often too heavy and would stress the cover underneath if left in place. I sweep it off after 4" accumulates or the snow is really wet. 5 winters so far. Cam.

PS we should have winter but I already pruned my fruit trees.

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
update in case anyone cares about a moron southerner who does not know how to deal with snow...:banghead:
we only got an inch vs. the forecast of 5, so I kept up with the snow pretty well with a broom. remembered I have a shipping cover too...duh. wasn't able to swap them, but I pulled the shipping cover on very tight, tied it down so it was suspended over the black cover....precipitation slides off that shipping cover much easier. I think she is safe! hopefully this is the last of our snow/ice. 61 degrees projected for Monday!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool. That shipping cover does not breath as well so you may want to swap them on Monday if you expect more winter or just pull it off and let the fancy cover dry.

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use the shipping cover for the winter. Boat is in the driveway. I bought a roof take from Ocean State Job Lot that was fairly cheap and after every snow storm I use that to get all the snow off the boat. Has worked well for 4 years now.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I throw a tarp over mine to protect it during the winter.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The main thing is to not let too much snow build up on it. If conditions warm the accumulated snow can get very heavy and the mooring cover is not that well supported inside. Puts a lot of stress on the fabric. Bit with a few precautions and a decent broom to sweep snow, all is good. Cam.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I use the factory trailering/mooring cover for trailering only. For the rest of the time, I found a less expensive, semi custom cover that has better UV and rain/snow protection. That's what's on there now along with an electric air warmer/dehumidifier thingy.