• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Snowmobiles - A plea for HELP!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well we're just about a week into having snow here in WI and I'm itching to get outside and do something fun. Which means I think I'm going to try to find a sled. Unfortunately for me, excluding my youth and some rides on 80's machines owned by family members, I know little-to-nothing about snowmobiles.

First things first - I've taken the online DNR snowmobile education course just to make sure I'm "not that guy." I've watched videos and read up on trail etiquette. I've watched a ton of videos on what to look for on used sleds.

Now onto finding a sled... Any suggestions? Initially I wanted to get a touring sled that I could ride trails on with my wife and 6yo daughter. However, like boats, trying to find a jack-of-all-trades machine seems to net a machine that is a master of nothing. Not only that, but because the four major brands (Ski-doo, Polaris, Artic Cat, and Yamaha) all have produced no less than 100 different models each year (joking, kind of) there seems to be a long list of sleds that are great and and even longer list of sleds that are junk.

Here's what I think my needs are, and starting with budget, I'm in the 3-6k range. I wouldn't plan on anything more than few hundred miles a week when the trails open.

1) Four stroke for fuel economy (runs 87 gas) and better chance of finding a new sled that won't need a rebuild. Rebuilds on two-strokes seem to every 6k or so.
2) Touring model as to fit wife and 6 year old daughter on one. If we enjoy snowmobiling I would look to make this my wife's machine next year and buy a single for myself.
3) A machine I don't have to worry about breaking down on me.

What say you guys that own these machines? Am I wrong on what I think I need? Suggestions on brands/models? Looking for and and all advise and "lessons learned" when others first got into the sport.

Thanks in advance!

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
SKI-DOO Renegade 800 E-tec
Then get the plus one seat system they offer !

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg I can't remember off hand our other snowmobile members but we had a couple good threads about trail riding and machines,

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been riding since the 80’s in upstate NY but my newest sled is a 2003 and have not really kept up on current models, don’t ride anywhere close to the amount I did back then. All 4 of the manufactures at this point has pretty much perfected the 4 stroke power plants and if I’m not mistaken Cat uses Yamaha engines and Yamaha uses Cat suspensions in at least some machines.

Your plan sounds about right though as far as buying a two up for the family and if they enjoy it buy another for yourself, two ups or long tracks ride better then short track models anyway.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have been riding since the 80’s in upstate NY but my newest sled is a 2003 and have not really kept up on current models, don’t ride anywhere close to the amount I did back then. All 4 of the manufactures at this point has pretty much perfected the 4 stroke power plants and if I’m not mistaken Cat uses Yamaha engines and Yamaha uses Cat suspensions in at least some machines.

Your plan sounds about right though as far as buying a two up for the family and if they enjoy it buy another for yourself, two ups or long tracks ride better then short track models anyway.
Good to know, thank you!

CanTex

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Elan...I grew up in eastern Canada (not a serious recommendation but thought I would toss out the machine I grew up riding :))

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I have been riding for almost 50 years primarily on groomed trails. I have owned all of the major brands. For the last 10 I have been on a Yamaha Apex and now a Vector, both long tracks as they ride better and less likely to get stuck if you get off trail. You can not beat Yamaha quality, dependability and resale value. Buy a jack seat [passenger seat you can take on or off]. In your price range I would be looking for something like a 2012 or newer Vector long track as they introduced power steering that year on the Vector. If you go the Yamaha route be sure to put Snow Trackers on the skis as it greatly improves handling.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still waiting to put miles on. There snow, but just enough to maybe go around the yard. I’ll be patient and wait for hopefully a good base

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Welp, after a lot of looking and reading, I found a cheap(ish) deal on two sleds. I bought them at a decent enough price that we can test out snowmobiling as a family and, if it doesn't work out we'll sell them next fall with little to no loss. If it's something we want to do then I can spend the spring and summer trying to find some decent sleds.

Purchased: 1993 Polaris XLT 500 Touring w/ 3400 miles on it and a 2002 Yamaha Vmax 600 triple with 8k miles on it. I can't believe I'm about to say this but... now we need some snow.

RTCAT72

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Rent the one you might be interested in buying. I know the rental sleds are newer but the suspension and motor may be close to what you’re looking for and you’re not buying something you don’t really like.

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congratulations, I suspect the Polaris is a 500 Classic Touring twin. Polaris did not make an XLT (extra light triple) touring. As mentioned I would try to rent a newer sled at least for a day. There really is quite a difference. Not sure my back could handle going back to the 1995 XLT Special I had and it had what Polaris called an xtra 12 suspension

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welp, after a lot of looking and reading, I found a cheap(ish) deal on two sleds. I bought them at a decent enough price that we can test out snowmobiling as a family and, if it doesn't work out we'll sell them next fall with little to no loss. If it's something we want to do then I can spend the spring and summer trying to find some decent sleds.

Purchased: 1993 Polaris XLT 500 Touring w/ 3400 miles on it and a 2002 Yamaha Vmax 600 triple with 8k miles on it. I can't believe I'm about to say this but... now we need some snow.
That's ironic, I just helped a buddy buy something similar. He is on the lake next to mine, and needed a fish house puller. Not looking to do many miles.

His realtor had an old Polaris 550 fan touring. It's not a rocket, but longer track, two-up seat and will pull a fish house sled. He pretty much cuts the deal, and we walk around back and there sits a 2007 Yamaha Venture Lite! it was covered in snow and ice, and he says it came with the lake home. He never used it.

I owned one of the very first 2007 Yamaha Phazers, ordered it in April 2006. So I knew this engine well, and was intrigued at the utility of the Venture Lite. Two up seat, heated grip heaters for the passenger, rack on the back and an auger rack on the big bull bar out front! We turned the key, it spun slow and fired right up! My buddy ended up buying both for a song! That venture lite will be a great swiss army knife for his family.

Do the snow dance kids! It's that time of year to enjoy this season, before it is taken away from us in April/May.

After 50 miles of breaking trail this past weekend and ditchbangin! Deep snow to be had. Loving the Mountain skis on my big trail tank!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Make sure you check out the carburetor boots on sleds of this vintage. They tend to crack and lead to a lean condition as well as bearings on all suspension wheels. Aside from that and basic stuff like spark plugs and drive belts if the sleds are solid you should be good

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Be cautious with those "snow trackers".....
High-siding at speed is gonna hurt.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Make sure you check out the carburetor boots on sleds of this vintage. They tend to crack and lead to a lean condition as well as bearings on all suspension wheels. Aside from that and basic stuff like spark plugs and drive belts if the sleds are solid you should be good
Good call - yeah have read about a lot of engines blowing up because of this issue. Why wouldn't they just put the carbs directly onto the block??

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Congratulations, I suspect the Polaris is a 500 Classic Touring twin. Polaris did not make an XLT (extra light triple) touring. As mentioned I would try to rent a newer sled at least for a day. There really is quite a difference. Not sure my back could handle going back to the 1995 XLT Special I had and it had what Polaris called an xtra 12 suspension
You are correct, my bad! Too many damn model names and abbreviations for this n00b.