• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sold my yamaha for a 2020 255 scarab

Mt.Ridge Adventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well guys I sold our Yamaha jetty that we had for 3 years and I just got what they said 1st on west coast scarab 2020 255ID wake edition.
I will be doing a comparison since lots of people do push for Yamaha, but having that boat there some pluses and minuses for every family, it depend what are you looking to do with it.

Mt.Ridge Adventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So I went with 2020 sarab 255 ID, wake edition.
Black with that brown interior, limited 600hp supercharged, just because dealer gave me a pretty good deal, I think.
The boat is alot heavier then Yamaha which needed I bit bigger engine (what I said to my wife) but It does makes it a smoother ride.
Test ride blowed me away, I'm picking mine I few days, I'll try to post a video for you guys.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
post some pics! I looked at the specs and it seemed it was actually lighter than the yamaha. Unless the 2020 gained a ton of weight. Anywho interested to hear your opinion on having that much more power, even though the time to plane is almost double the yammi

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Black with that brown interior, limited 600hp supercharged, just because dealer gave me a pretty good deal, I think.
The boat is alot heavier then Yamaha which needed I bit bigger engine (what I said to my wife) but It does makes it a smoother ride.
Test ride blowed me away, I'm picking mine I few days, I'll try to post a video for you guys.
Congrats on the new boat. Pictures please. Love pictures. Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:

600hp is crazy but IMO necessary. Never know when you need to outrun that storm. :winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mt.Ridge Adventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
post some pics! I looked at the specs and it seemed it was actually lighter than the yamaha. Unless the 2020 gained a ton of weight. Anywho interested to hear your opinion on having that much more power, even though the time to plane is almost double the yammi
By the weight itself its prob lighter but when you ride it its feels heavier, maybe cause it's a bit longer too. I will post pics after I pick up, I just did a test ride. We have a nice weather so I hope I'll get it here in a few days. Dealer have it on hand already but I guess they got to put stuff on, clean and some other crap i guess.

Mt.Ridge Adventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Wonder what would change, the ACE engines are not much heavier.

How was the noise as compared to the Yammies?

--
While riding it's not that much lauder but with that said I just floored it lol, I will have it picked up he in few days, after they set it all up and clean and what ever they have to do.
Well for 2020 I think it's a 1.7 litler supercharged and the manager said that they go quick, need to break in slow before I'll open it up.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looking forward to hear the comparison, what yamaha did you sell ? curios to see pictures of the wake that it creates at surfing speed and at 18 to 19 mph wake board speed . Congratulations enjoy the new toy

Mt.Ridge Adventures

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well I went and touched it for the first time, I guess it's the only one In weat coast right now... kinda cool even if its bs for my ears.
They tolled me they need few days to finish everything, detail and stuff, but I asked to put it on water, and guess what? 15 min after started to rain but i did got few rides and pics. Not enough to put a big review but so far i loved it.
I did had 06 sx230 and 13 ar210.
I am comparing to 242x my friend has. I think Yamaha is wider side to side, but ohh my 600hp is quieter but lots I think.. has lots of room in front, my family love it, I dont care what friends say about room, cause if its tight for them they can get off lol.
I'll tell you more about it when I have it more on water.100288

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a gorgeous boat!
Please keep posting pics and review!!

--

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That is a beauty. Very sharp looking. Congrats! Did they say when you'll bring it home?

Question: why would they put a dirty fender against such a nice looking boat?

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Congrats brother!
I have the 2019 equivalent to your boat. You are going to love it. Every where I ride - whihc I trailer mine all over the place - everyone says the same thing.. "Damn that is good looking boat!" The ride is phenomenal, the power is kick ass - wait until your engines break in and you get fool boost.. lol. The boat with 1/2 tank and not a lot of weight in it will go 62 mph.. It JUMPS out of the hole to 30-40mph VERY quickly.. the boat is VERY comfortable for EVERYONE. I'm 6'7 and the seats are awesome.. They don't have the cheap feel of thin vinyl and thin cushions.. Bimini top is high enough for me not to hit it with my head, and the boat looks bad ass with it up. Stereo is incredible - very powerful and very clean and crisp. Once you get past 25-35 hours the engines will smooth out even more, its like they seem to sync up even better and just are smoother and quieter. Gas mileage compared to other boats is incredible.. At 32 mph with 8 people in the boat , I am getting about 3 miles per gallon. At 55 gallons that is 165 miles!! Remember - the tests that have been done so far on the 255's with 300's have been when the boats' engines were still in break in mode - when the engines timing and fuel curves are being retarded purposely. Once the engines are broken in ( after roughly 3-5 hrs) there is a substantial difference in the engines performance and efficiency.. I can't remember where I saw it , but I thought I saw a chart that showed that the 255's with the ACE 300 engines were able to achieve 3.7 miles per GALLON at 5000 rpms. The 5k rpms is key because at that speed, the chargers are not working and therefore it is not throwing in extra fuel. I cruise at 31-32 and I am EXTREMELY confident that I can go at least 160 miles on a tank at that speed.

* On that note - gas gauge seems a little optimistic for the first half of tank. Meaning, I can drive ( and have) 40 nautical miles starting at 100% fuel, and after that 40 miles it will still say 92%.. Go another 40 miles on way back and then it will show 55% afterwards.

* Things to check / notice on your boat and make sure they are good.

* Windshield - make sure to NOTE where your middle windshield lays down on the right windshield when you close the middle walk through windshield. I say to note this because mine move a little - meaning that the driver side windshield moved over to the right by about 1/3 of an inch. I think it was due to just bouncing around/ going over some decent size wakes etc. Just be aware it can happen.

* As with ANY jet powered boat -- or for that matter ANY boat -- as you are entering into a marina area or about to dock your boat, always double check your neutral and reverse. ANY jet boat can get something caught in the reverse gate and cause a reverse problem, SO , think about that and always just gently put boat in reverse while you are in idle speed just to be careful and ensure you have no debris causing an issue.

ENJOY man. You are going to LOVE your boat. OH and wait until you experience how incredible the steering is when docking. Just take your time to learn in a safe area before hand - but let me tell you - I can park my boat in a slip that has less than a foot on each side and do it friggin BACKWARDS without hitting the sides of the boat. It's amazing.. just take a little time when you can to learn the feel of it and you will amaze people at the docks.. So many people are uneducated on todays jet boats. and the Scarabs - the docking maneuverability is unbelievable , even in a strong crosswind.

Watch how many people wave and come up to you and say, Man that boat looks awesome..

Have fun man..

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well I went and touched it for the first time, I guess it's the only one In weat coast right now... kinda cool even if its bs for my ears.
They tolled me they need few days to finish everything, detail and stuff, but I asked to put it on water, and guess what? 15 min after started to rain but i did got few rides and pics. Not enough to put a big review but so far i loved it.
I am comparing to 242x my friend has. I think Yamaha is wider side to side, but ohh my 600hp is quieter but lots I think.. has lots of room in front, my family love it, I dont care what friends say about room, cause if its tight for them they can get off lol.
I'll tell you more about it when I have it more on water.View attachment 100288
EXACT boat as mine - except I have the White and brown and gray interior. Your interior is exactly what I wanted but couldn't find anywhere in the States at the time. Simpy BAD ASS looking boat man. Congrats!

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Just noticed you don't have the tower speakers .. or maybe they just didn't install them yet? You are going to want them if you hear them - they are very nice and sound amazing.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats brother!
I have the 2019 equivalent to your boat. You are going to love it. Every where I ride - whihc I trailer mine all over the place - everyone says the same thing.. "Damn that is good looking boat!" The ride is phenomenal, the power is kick ass - wait until your engines break in and you get fool boost.. lol. The boat with 1/2 tank and not a lot of weight in it will go 62 mph.. It JUMPS out of the hole to 30-40mph VERY quickly.. the boat is VERY comfortable for EVERYONE. I'm 6'7 and the seats are awesome.. They don't have the cheap feel of thin vinyl and thin cushions.. Bimini top is high enough for me not to hit it with my head, and the boat looks bad ass with it up. Stereo is incredible - very powerful and very clean and crisp. Once you get past 25-35 hours the engines will smooth out even more, its like they seem to sync up even better and just are smoother and quieter. Gas mileage compared to other boats is incredible.. At 32 mph with 8 people in the boat , I am getting about 3 miles per gallon. At 55 gallons that is 165 miles!! Remember - the tests that have been done so far on the 255's with 300's have been when the boats' engines were still in break in mode - when the engines timing and fuel curves are being retarded purposely. Once the engines are broken in ( after roughly 3-5 hrs) there is a substantial difference in the engines performance and efficiency.. I can't remember where I saw it , but I thought I saw a chart that showed that the 255's with the ACE 300 engines were able to achieve 3.7 miles per GALLON at 5000 rpms. The 5k rpms is key because at that speed, the chargers are not working and therefore it is not throwing in extra fuel. I cruise at 31-32 and I am EXTREMELY confident that I can go at least 160 miles on a tank at that speed.

* On that note - gas gauge seems a little optimistic for the first half of tank. Meaning, I can drive ( and have) 40 nautical miles starting at 100% fuel, and after that 40 miles it will still say 92%.. Go another 40 miles on way back and then it will show 55% afterwards.

* Things to check / notice on your boat and make sure they are good.

* Windshield - make sure to NOTE where your middle windshield lays down on the right windshield when you close the middle walk through windshield. I say to note this because mine move a little - meaning that the driver side windshield moved over to the right by about 1/3 of an inch. I think it was due to just bouncing around/ going over some decent size wakes etc. Just be aware it can happen.

* As with ANY jet powered boat -- or for that matter ANY boat -- as you are entering into a marina area or about to dock your boat, always double check your neutral and reverse. ANY jet boat can get something caught in the reverse gate and cause a reverse problem, SO , think about that and always just gently put boat in reverse while you are in idle speed just to be careful and ensure you have no debris causing an issue.

ENJOY man. You are going to LOVE your boat. OH and wait until you experience how incredible the steering is when docking. Just take your time to learn in a safe area before hand - but let me tell you - I can park my boat in a slip that has less than a foot on each side and do it friggin BACKWARDS without hitting the sides of the boat. It's amazing.. just take a little time when you can to learn the feel of it and you will amaze people at the docks.. So many people are uneducated on todays jet boats. and the Scarabs - the docking maneuverability is unbelievable , even in a strong crosswind.

Watch how many people wave and come up to you and say, Man that boat looks awesome..

Have fun man..
What a great review, thanks man.
Do you guys know anything about how well these new 255 hulls do in terms of wake surfing? Not much info on that. The SurfStream works?
I have never seen a chap or Scarab throw a wave like what we get with Yammies but it could be that people just don’t post.

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What a great review, thanks man.
Do you guys know anything about how well these new 255 hulls do in terms of wake surfing? Not much info on that. The SurfStream works?
I have never seen a chap or Scarab throw a wave like what we get with Yammies but it could be that people just don’t post.

Hey Swatski.

Honestly - I have not even used my surf/wake attachments yet. I "have" seen a 215 with the wake attachments and that wave is pretty darn good. For me - and who I ride/boat with - I don't really look at my boat as a WAKE boat like it is marketed as.. I live on a ski lake and we have a Malibu wakesetter that destroys any jet boat wake and we use that boat for our lakes , so I'm probably not a good person to comment on that. We use the 255 for the intracoastal waters etc to go island hopping and take to the local sandbar etc. Honestly - I LOVE our Scarab for cruising.. It is super comfy etc and we can cruise long distances with it - and get there quick if we want to :)
My son is wanting to do the wakesurf thing, so we will prob try that soon with the attachments and I can let you know.

I have heard that the Chap 23-24 has a pretty good wake to surf. But haven't seen in person.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Swatski.

Honestly - I have not even used my surf/wake attachments yet. I "have" seen a 215 with the wake attachments and that wave is pretty darn good. For me - and who I ride/boat with - I don't really look at my boat as a WAKE boat like it is marketed as.. I live on a ski lake and we have a Malibu wakesetter that destroys any jet boat wake and we use that boat for our lakes , so I'm probably not a good person to comment on that. We use the 255 for the intracoastal waters etc to go island hopping and take to the local sandbar etc. Honestly - I LOVE our Scarab for cruising.. It is super comfy etc and we can cruise long distances with it - and get there quick if we want to :)
My son is wanting to do the wakesurf thing, so we will prob try that soon with the attachments and I can let you know.

I have heard that the Chap 23-24 has a pretty good wake to surf. But haven't seen in person.
Please keep us posted. Your reviews are super informative and exciting about Scarab.

For those of us poor souls who can only have one boat at the time we need to know more!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

According to the video, this chick is surfing behind the 255 Open ID with no ballast. The wave doesn't look great, but if there are really only 5 people on that boat and no ballast, that can't be too bad right?

Is the Open ID the same hull as the regular 255?

255IDTwin300s

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Please keep us posted. Your reviews are super informative and exciting about Scarab.

For those of us poor souls who can only have one boat at the time we need to know more!!

Lol! I will try :) For bad or for worse I just tell it like I see it / experience it. :) No product is perfect - trust me I am THAT GUY that has been told 500 times in my life time " Damn, never saw that happen before" or " Wow, never had that happen before" I'm THAT GUY.. lol

So, I tend to have a lot of knowledge from those experiences.

AKIQPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Great looking boat. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and some first impressions. Keep us updated. Enjoy your new Boat.