• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SOLVED: anyone remove their intake duct (aka: ride plate)?

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
they have to come off because i'm doing some repairs. i'm having a heck of a time removing the large plates (not the small grates - those are both off).

i've cut away as much of the silicone out as i can along the bottom with a razor knife. on the vertical surfaces, i used guitar strings (wound and non-wound) to cut/slice down through the sealant like cheese. i've also used a syringe to inject 3M Adhesive Cleaner - though it fails to actually "inject" so i've done my best to "squirt" it between the surfaces, but it isn't penetrating deep enough like i had hoped.

anyone have any experience or better ideas at getting some separation between the gelcoat and aluminum plate mating surfaces where the 6 mounting bolts secure through it?

UPDATE: solution is here.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have no experience in this removal but will give you service manual pages that show the siliconed surfaces.

image.jpg image.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Goodness! I looked at this when i was hoping to build an adjustable intake. Why are you doing this removal?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm thinking crow bar and a small plate to prop it against. Good luck.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sorry, saw that it was for repairs, but is the piece itself busted?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder about using a heat gun (hair dryer) or a chemical silicone remover to loosen up the silicone holding it on? If you used a chemical you would want to make sure that it does not harm gel coat.

Alternately you might consider hanging a weight under the ride plate that would apply constant pull to the plate.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
2by4 in under the end of it and pull down evenly, it should come out if you have all the bolts removed. The 2by4 gives you leverage and won't harm the hull

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
really appreciate the input guys.

I did try leveraging it out, but it was only about a 3' to 4' long piece of 2x4. I was a bit worried about increasing the lever arm distance and ripping gel off, too. but if you've (@Cobra Jet Steering LLC ) done it without issue, I will give it another try. thanks.

the plates are intact. doing some FRP repair right next to one - skimmed off a submerged obstruction.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
oh, also. I was planning to reseal with 4200 rather than silicone (bc it seems a lot of boaters recommend against silicone below the water line). what are your guys' thoughts on that?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
4200 is very difficult to remove if you think it is hard to get the factory sealant to let go just try 5200 or 4200 and you will regret it.
I use marine grade silicon with no issues .
When you pry on the intake use a pulsating motion rather than a steady pull . Just be sure you have ALL the bolts removed and the intake grate removed. Come to think about it someone in the past may have done just that and now it is a beast to get the part loose.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC
took a couple photos of my setups to clarify how you are able to do it. "in under the end of it" - i'm not 100% sure what that means, but this doesn't look to be that:
1.jpg
2.jpg
i'm prying by pushing down on the longer end in the second pic and i'm not getting any kind of movement at all. i tried to slide a 4x4 in there (because the 2x4 is flexing a lot), but it is too large. and by "pulsating," i'm assuming you mean "slightly bounce" the board?

also gave prying from the front a shot ...with no movement:
3.jpg 4.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If this still won't get it to come loose someone used 5200 or similar product like silicon glue on it, you may need to heat up a long thin knife blade like an old kitchen knife and melt away the sealant by placing it between the metal and the glass pushing slowly and repeating the process to cut enough of the sealant to get it to release.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
thanks again. i don't think it's 5200 or 4200 because it is clear.
this has become very frustrating. been trying the different methods that have been recommended and the sucker won't budge.
i'll post up the minute i get one off.

i've been working with a hot paint scraper, but i can't get it between the tight mating surfaces where the bolts went through. i've opened more room along the vertical seam though - the scraper drags a little silicon out at a time. this may allow me to get more adhesive remover deeper in there.

too bad these aren't two-part assemblies that allowed you to pry off the bottom plate section (levered against the top section). then you could easily slice out the actual intake portion with wire. would take 15 mins instead of a few afternoons.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I were in your shoes I might try tapping hack saw blades in between the hull and ride plate where possible. Remove them with a pair of pliers and hopefully you can saw through some of the sealant.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can see the silicone surface area resisting the flexing force of a 2x4. I think you will eventually get there if you can keep running something between to split the silicone and reduce the surface area where it contacts. I'm not sure what I think of my own idea; but for some reason I thought of a fabric tow strap through the opening secured behind the boat to something like another car and then gently pulling (think the old midevil arm stretch routine). You would need to make sure it would not become a projectile and have some carpet or something on the ground.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Time to try something outside the box, if you have a good pressure washer see if you can blast the silicon out from between the parts.

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
good ideas.
thought about using the winch on the Jeep, but it just doesn't seem practical in application.
i like the pressure washer idea ...i've been wanting one.

FRP: fiberglass reinforced plastic.
sorry, should've just said fiberglass repair.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other