• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Some advice needed

TESTAROBT

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
well I decieded to go out and buy a new 2020 242xe. took it out for the first time and am concerned/disappointed. not sure if this is normal but with ten people in the boat the boat will not go over 13mph. just wont plain out. we unloaded everyone except for the 3 of us and it will plain on but will only go 34mph. no faults coming on the screen, no check engine lights. is this the way this boat is? I was lead to believe this boat will go about 40 plus and should do it with all 12 that is allowed in the boat. also this boat take like 2 football field to turn. I just sold my 06 230 ho and man that but as awesome and would go 45 and turn on a dime. just curious about performance.

StanM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not normal. Did you do the break-in period? I have had 10 people aboard my 2019 AR240 and it gets to 40+ fairly quickly and 51 with my wife and I.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
How many hours do you have? Their is a break-in period.

:Welcome: to the forum! You should update your profile to the new boat and helps us help you. :winkingthumbsup"

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you sea trial the boat before you bought it? It should run exactly like it did during the sea trial.

Fisher4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Crawl under and look at the impellers. I'm guessing a small stick is stuck in there.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
well I decieded to go out and buy a new 2020 242xe. took it out for the first time and am concerned/disappointed. not sure if this is normal but with ten people in the boat the boat will not go over 13mph. just wont plain out. we unloaded everyone except for the 3 of us and it will plain on but will only go 34mph. no faults coming on the screen, no check engine lights. is this the way this boat is? I was lead to believe this boat will go about 40 plus and should do it with all 12 that is allowed in the boat. also this boat take like 2 football field to turn. I just sold my 06 230 ho and man that but as awesome and would go 45 and turn on a dime. just curious about performance.
Did you find the issue with your boat.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would say not normal. I have a 2020 AR240. Should be the same hull and engines. I hit 46 with 9 adults + coolers/gear for a full day of sandbar fun, also had the top open. I hit 52 solo on on a 20 or 30 second sprint. Sounds like a motor is down or a pump/impeller issue. I couldn’t get on plane/over 13mph with the 9 people after about 20 seconds. I quickly throttled down, I only had 6 or 7 hours on the boat but I could tell something wasn’t right, I didn’t want to flood a motor and I was close to the ramp so I figured i should sort it out then. I looked at my RPM and one of the motors didn’t start.

Did you check that the clean out plugs were in? Sounds stupid but I’ve done that, it can’t make pressure but it’s still pushing water so you will move a bit.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! Are the cleanout plugs properly secured? What rpm? I can do about 25mph with the cleanout unsecured....

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely not normal.
  1. Check the clean out plugs to be sure they are fully installed
  2. Check the impellers for small sticks etc caught in the leading edge
  3. Do you still have the trailer attached? Just kidding.
It wont turn as fast as your Sx230, but it should turn nicely. Something is amiss

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think it would do that well on 1 engine. Something is a mess. I would let one engine idle and run one at wot. Than swap. Could help to find out if problem is one or both jets.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is it possible you had only one engine running? one time I hit the start button thinking I started the engine then moved on to start the second engine and realized the first one didn’t start and yes, I was in a rush. If you were in a rush or distracted, you may have missed it and just ran with one engine. The other previous suggestions are also worth checking. If all fails, go back to the dealer. I’m still under my 10 hour but last weekend I had 5 people onboard, full tank of gas and gear and was up around 45mph not with WOT. So definitely not normal and you should diagnose ASAP.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another thought - are you in single-throttle-mode? On my 242SE, I've forgotten to enable STM (I wish there was a way to make this default; if there is, someone please prove me wrong) and was in fact only running on my port engine while starboard was having a break idling along.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another thought - are you in single-throttle-mode? On my 242SE, I've forgotten to enable STM (I wish there was a way to make this default; if there is, someone please prove me wrong) and was in fact only running on my port engine while starboard was having a break idling along.
Did this last week! (Only at idle though) and couldn’t figure out why so much steering correction was necessary. I almost always run in linked mode and simply assumed it was in single lever mode.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you sea trial the boat before you bought it? It should run exactly like it did during the sea trial.
See trials are for the weak. I prefer just to buy the boat without one, as I did, and then you all and the Mrs. get to listen to me gripe and bitch about certain things that are wrong for the next few months. :)

Honestly though, I personally couldn't sea trial it since the Covid Thing and they weren't going to do one at that time. They indicated that if I would have waited a couple more weeks or so to take delivery they would have gladly dropped it in and let me test and give a once over. But I had to close before the end of the first week of May to get the special offers for April and dealer discounts.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
See trials are for the weak. I prefer just to buy the boat without one, as I did, and then you all and the Mrs. get to listen to me gripe and bitch about certain things that are wrong for the next few months. :)

Honestly though, I personally couldn't sea trial it since the Covid Thing and they weren't going to do one at that time. They indicated that if I would have waited a couple more weeks or so to take delivery they would have gladly dropped it in and let me test and give a once over. But I had to close before the end of the first week of May to get the special offers for April and dealer discounts.
We trialed our boat and bought it a week later. The dealer typically does a "full" prep, which takes a week but we wanted the boat for the long weekend and got them to agree to sort out any issues we come up with by the 10 hour maintenance. So far, the list is small, but I do kind of wish we'd waited so they could fully clean the boat. Instead, I spent my entire afternoon this past Friday giving it the once over. Seadek still has some marks on it, but that's almost guaranteed any given weekend as it is.

One thing that did have me scratching my head was the routing of the solar charger detection cable to the house battery's ground post - I almost tore it out 3-4 times when working in that seat compartment before finally moving it to a more sensible location (the battery's ground post; the two grounds are tied together anyway, so it shouldn't matter at all).

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Buying new you get a little leeway in skipping the sea trial. If the boat doesn't run you are under warranty. I knew what I was getting because my brother had a jetboat, but assuming I was a new to jetboats and didn't do proper research our sea trial consisted of the dealer taking us out on the lake and letting us take over once outside of the no wake zones. That's the easy part of jetboats. They certainly weren't encouraging us to try to dock or do any slow speed maneuvering. So in that stance I kind of considered the sea trial pointless other than knowing that both engines ran.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Buying new you get a little leeway in skipping the sea trial. If the boat doesn't run you are under warranty. I knew what I was getting because my brother had a jetboat, but assuming I was a new to jetboats and didn't do proper research our sea trial consisted of the dealer taking us out on the lake and letting us take over once outside of the no wake zones. That's the easy part of jetboats. They certainly weren't encouraging us to try to dock or do any slow speed maneuvering. So in that stance I kind of considered the sea trial pointless other than knowing that both engines ran.
We ended up doing 3 different test drives of 2 different boats. Our dealer was really responsive about testing things out like maneuvering and docking; i was hesitant to ask but they enthusiastically got up from the helm and walked us through the questions we had, even though we were pretty awful compared to him. At least we knew what we were getting at that point, and our eyes were open about the learning curve. Even after an hour of doodling around on a calm day last week, I'm already far more comfortable with the boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was kind of jammed up a bit and the whole Covid thing made it impossible since they weren't really even open fully and I will admit a little anxious as we cancelled all family trips for the year. I would have most certainly preferred a Sea Trial. As you can see on the picture somewhere else I posted when I picked it up. It was prepped and looked fantastic, everything was detailed and the dealer was adamant about that before I could come get it. They pulled it into their showroom for delivery and we went over everything for an hour +, to my satisfaction. It probably will never look that good again...

The timing and everything was just a bit off.

To be honest, finding this forum right before I purchased helped me out tremendously. I was asking all the right questions of the dealer, based upon everyone else's experiences and issues, both good and bad. I don't have any issues anywhere on the boat and I rub it with a diaper basically and have been all over it.

The only things that have bothered me are the screw and zip tie cutoffs and stuff I found rolling around in the engine bay after the first outing and rinse out and the fact that my RPM's are a bit low after 10 hour service. Otherwise I couldn't be happier with the boat and Yamaha, and the Family enjoys it tremendously.

One of my staff bought an Axis two weeks ago for over 120k, has had issues with it on every outing and it is now back at the dealer. They are really not even super serious wakeboarders and wake surfers. He mentioned he felt like he was talked into more boat than he should get. He is coming over to look at my Yamaha tonight and wants to drive it in the lake. He wants to trade and get a 212x or a 242 for far less money. He is bummed he didn't go that route to begin with. Unfortunately there is no stock anywhere.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man, that's a bummer about the Axis.

We got lucky with our boat; we'd been looking for 2016-2018 used AR240s, 242SEs, or 242XEs and their inventory just wasn't out there. Then COVID hit and we missed the boat shows, and the April discounts. At least we managed to squeak in under the wire for May and got the 3 year extra warranty.

I'm a little jealous, sounds like you got some more "spare" parts than I did, so far I've only found a single screw.

Totally unrelated - how many bow-filler cushions came with your boat? We only got 2, but wondered if there was suppsosed to be 3 to make a full bed area with a back cushion? (A question for the dealer, but wanted to check among the community first)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only have two. That is also what the pictures show. I can either make a bed or I can make a third seat so you can put your legs down. I have already decided to just put them in the garage for storage for now, takes up to much room in the compartment, although your boat is bigger. I will take them when the crew decides they want them :) I ask before every trip. I get a "No" then it is just one less thing to bounce around in the compartment.