• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Son's First Truck

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
So... I'm officially on the hunt for my 16 year old son's first vehicle. He's logging all his road miles now on my F-150 and Expedition, so I'm confident he can handle a full-size but I'm probably leaning towards a smaller pickup--he doesn't need anything that wide. What make/models are still low maintenance and durable after 100k miles? What should I stay away from? I don't want to spend more than $8,000, and I'm pretty sure I can find something for $5,000 if I look hard enough.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Late model Chevy Colorado maybe? Can’t haul a lot of other people in the truck... my neighbors 17 year old and his girlfriend made it thru getting basically t-boned and up across the front end by a 3/4 ton lifted truck by a drunk driver.

Thankfully everyone survived.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just sold my 2002 Silverado for 4000. 4wd and about 85000 miles on it. Ran like a champ. They run forever and you can pick one up cheap if it is ten years old plus.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Just sold my 2002 Silverado for 4000. 4wd and about 85000 miles on it. Ran like a champ. They run forever and you can pick one up cheap if it is ten years old plus.
Damn I might have taken that right off your hands for that price. Thanks.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Late model Chevy Colorado maybe? Can’t haul a lot of other people in the truck... my neighbors 17 year old and his girlfriend made it thru getting basically t-boned and up across the front end by a 3/4 ton lifted truck by a drunk driver.

Thankfully everyone survived.
Yea I'm not looking for a quad cab or anything. These provisional licenses these days don't even allow teenagers to carry passengers under 21.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
A 4 cyl Ranger in the 2006-2012 range would fit the bill nicely. Those things are damn near bulletproof, easy to repair, and not fast enough for him to get in too much trouble. In my opinion the simpler/slower the first vehicle is the better.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A 4 cyl Ranger in the 2006-2012 range would fit the bill nicely. Those things are damn near bulletproof, easy to repair, and not fast enough for him to get in too much trouble. In my opinion the simpler/slower the first vehicle is the better.
I agree with this. Had a '94 Ranger as my first truck. Reg cab, short bed, 4cyl, 5spd. Tough as nails, decent on gas, and easy to work on. Clearly that's a little too "vintage" for a new driver at this point, but honestly, not much has changed into the '06-'12 range. Only caveat to that would be to find a 4wd model if you're in an area that gets bad weather. I survived with a 2wd, but once i had 4wd, I'll never go back, and I'm in a pretty southern region.

I also like the idea of a similar vintage Silverado. Little larger overall, but still a pretty basic vehicle that is tough as nails and easy to work on.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Watch that vintage Silverado/Suburban etc. They are known for their brake lines rotting out. Once replaced though, they do run forever. Might be a fun Father/Son project.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For used cars/trucks, check out Scotty Kilmer. He's pretty brutal on some manufactures.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My vote is a Ranger, as parts are plentiful at the scrap yards if you need to fix something.
Also the parts commonality between Explorers is a huge bonus for some model years.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend that you take a look at a used Honda Ridgeline. We have a first year first gen 2006 that we got for $7500 almost two years ago with 145k miles on it. I’ve had to have the valves done and water pump/serpentine belt replaced as part of regular mfg. maintenance but that is about it. It drives/rides like a Honda Accord and gets about 20 mpg. The auto all wheel drive system hasn’t given me any problems and it has a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. so we don’t need chains in the snow and we can tow our waverunners around with it. Oh it also seats 5 comfortably and has lots of storage space, even a trunk in the bed.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Start checking craigslist. I had a 02 Chevy Silverado that I racked up 214k before I sold it.. “ Wish I would of kept it”. The older 5.3”s are great power plants.
Extended cabs are every where. You may even be able to find a 2010 newer extended cab truck for around 8k.
the fords from 07-13 Arndt bad “ gas motors that is” but the tranny”s can have some issues.
Dodges aren’t to bad either.
The smallertrucks/
Rangers/S10”s/Dakotas/frontiers are floating around for 4-6k.
My Ram has the Max care lifetime warranty on it, so when my son turns 16 he gets it.... he’s got 11 years to go lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Ram has the Max care lifetime warranty on it, so when my son turns 16 he gets it.... he’s got 11 years to go lol.
my 8yr old asked me last night if we were riding in his first truck or if he would be "forced" to drive Moms Nissan when he turned 16.

I asked him how much he was saving for it because cars/trucks are expensive......That stopped him dead in his tracks for about 2-3 minutes......Then he asked how expensive bicycles were.......It appears I have some work ahead of me.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
My vote is a Ranger, as parts are plentiful at the scrap yards if you need to fix something.
Also the parts commonality between Explorers is a huge bonus for some model years.
Good idea. I have one of those pick-your-own-part place just down the road from me.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
For used cars/trucks, check out Scotty Kilmer. He's pretty brutal on some manufactures.

That’s good, thanks. Had a friend break 200k miles on his frontier before trading it in. I may look hard at those if the price is right.

B Frank

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... I'm officially on the hunt for my 16 year old son's first vehicle. He's logging all his road miles now on my F-150 and Expedition, so I'm confident he can handle a full-size but I'm probably leaning towards a smaller pickup--he doesn't need anything that wide. What make/models are still low maintenance and durable after 100k miles? What should I stay away from? I don't want to spend more than $8,000, and I'm pretty sure I can find something for $5,000 if I look hard enough.
Toyota Tacoma if you can find one for that price. I couldn’t and ended up getting my son a 2005 F150.
Might have better luck finding a SUV like a forerunner or Nissan Xterra.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tacoma is best in my opinion. Not full size, extended cab good for gear but not passengers, and they run forever.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you go Tacoma make sure it’s had the frame replaced. Otherwise you might find people call it a “Taco” for a reason.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you go Tacoma make sure it’s had the frame replaced. Otherwise you might find people call it a “Taco” for a reason.
Isn’t that only on much older Tacoma’s pre 2004?