• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sorting through the marketplaces - looking for a first boat

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey Everyone,

New to the site, and I am currently in the process of looking for a boat. I live in Connecticut along CT river and am trying to find a jetboat to use on it. My current price cap is 10k, so that is limiting me in my search.

So far I have mainly been looking at Yamaha LX210s in the 2003 - 2004 range. 2008ish Seadoo Challengers and 2009ish Seadoo Sportsters. Could anyone make a recommendation along those lines? I am trying to find something decently reliable that will pull a tube and be good for my family of 4. I can turn a wrench but am by no means an expert. Towing capacity is also not a problem but with the boats I am looking at it should not matter.

Thanks in advance,
Denis

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With a budget that size, do your best to enter in the 4 cycle engines. The 4 stroke rotax is pretty good... The naturally aspirated had less horsepower, but was much more reliable. The ones with turbos need more maintenance.

I have seen sx230 from 2004 in less than stellar conditions very close to your budget... Maybe keep an eye out? I had a 2 stroke for 14 years and it was great, but the 4 stroke engines seem so much more reliable so far.

Others have had good experience with 2 strokes too, so don't take my word for it, I'm sure others will chime with an opinion on those.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That would be pretty cool if it wasn't Mississippi. Can't imagine what shipping costs would be on a sight unseen boat...

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
While the 15' Sea Doo boats are a blast, for a family of 4 I would rule that one out and get at least the 180. Ask about the supercharger and if it has been rebuilt.

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so I went and drove the first one, but didnt make it to the 180

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/176366842940541/

Very strong, only smoked a tiny bit at startup. Ran well on the water. Everything is original minus changing filters every year. Gate is original on the inlet.

Problems
Instrument panel is not working at all, all 3 gauges give no readings
Some sort of buzz / rattle when the gear shifter was in Neutral, instantly stopped once engaged. Is that a big deal to fix?
Cosmetic issues all around but the seats were in solid shape.

yes it was a little small but doable, very fun to drive, think it would pull the heck out of a skier or tube.

Thanks in advance for helping me with those questions
Denis

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
So did you purchase the speedster? I had a Challenger 1800 with the 240hp Merc, it would also smoke some on startup. Be sure the oil level is changing, ie, it's using oil, should be the large reservoir, and a small one on the top of the motor. I'd recommend a cyl compression check as well. I had issues with my fuel gauge, had to change out the sending unit, which is the fuel pickup in the tank as it wasn't working correctly. Speedo is a prolly a wheel in the back, change that to a gps unit. Not sure what the third gauge is, can't tell form the pic.

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did not purchase yet, looking at a regular bow rider this weekend before I make the call.

Other gauge was RPM. I can do a cylinder check before I actually hand over the money before I buy it. Any idea on the shifter noise?

Thanks so much for the info, I did some research and saw the wheel can get hungup for the speedo. All the toggle switches worked.

Denis

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Was the buzz from the back of the boat, or the shifter assembly?

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It sounded more like something was loose to me, more towards the back, it wasnt the lever. I didnt know if these boats made a buzz on purpose when you first went into neutral.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Forward, neutral, reverse, the pump is always moving water. The gate just directs it different. If it only as in the neutral position I’d look at the gate to see if something is loose.

DenisRecchia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey Scott,

I cant thank you enough, going to bother you one more time if that is ok. Tomorrow is D day and I need to get one of these boats, here are the 3 contenders.

This is the 2004 speedster with the broken gauges and the noise in neutral. Smallest boat for my family of 4 but ran strong and is the cheapest.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/176366842940541/

Just looked at this 180 challenger today, just had the impeller and the supercharger fixed among other things, seller has receipts for all. Water tested it today and it ran perfectly. Problems - the boat is pretty beat up and all the seats are shot, no real damage to the hull just alot of scratches etc. Seats are all total losses so I am searching for prices on redoing them all
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/122471765075811/

Havent driven this one but like that it is twin 4 stroke rotaxs, I will do a sea test before handing money over. Best looking boat of the 3 and the most expensive. Good size for the family and seems very well taken care of. No major part replacements just good maintenance records.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1898717457098104/

SO the question is, door #1, door #2, door #3

Thanks so much again
Denis

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Number 3. Can't make a boat bigger. Your family of 4 can turn into 6 or 7 fast.

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Number 3 with the 155 motors has no super chargers to rebuild, just change the oil. If the 180 is in rough shape, and the 200 is in good shape you can figure they are the basically the same price. Seats and gelcoat repair will add up quick.