• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spare Impellers Needed? Yes or No...........

Spare Impellers?

• Yes - Absolutely

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Yes - Recommended

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • No - Not needed

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • No - Save Money for SeaDek

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters

Patrick L

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to Jet Boats. Coming from many years of Outboard and Stern Drive boats, I always carried a spare propeller. Eight of ten times we usually go to Lake Carlyle in IL. The lake has several shallow areas, some where you would not expect.

So now that I have a new Jet Boat I was wondering about the need to carry spare impellers and what others have experienced. I have searched the forum and couldn't come up with anything for "spare impellers" So here is the poll.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Been jetboating for going on 15 years....never needed a new impeller....and only recall reading about a couple of people who sucked something in that did enough damage to require a new one. Another great reason for jetboating! :winkingthumbsup"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've had a few jet boats now and plenty of PWCs. Every once in a while the pump will suck up something that will damage the impeller to the point that there is a noticeable loss in performance but this is very rare. Besides, getting the shaft and impeller out is the easy part, getting the impeller off of the shaft can be very difficult without the right tools (e.g. A large vise, the correct wrenches, an impeller socket and probably a breaker bar). If you replace the stock impeller(s) with aftermarket units it can't hurt to keep the stock units around as spares but I don't recommend buying a spare just for the sake of having one immediately available on the water.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No.
But if you need one, get the OEM.

--

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need for spares. Even if you had them you would need to pull the boat of the water, pull the pump then find a vise and large wrenches to change the impeller. Having a spare impeller is not going to save the current days boating.

As others have written, impellers rarely need to be replaced as they are well protected. When they do they are typically available with fast shipping options.

Additionally most of our twin engines boats could achieve water sports speeds with one impeller damaged.

mattschepker

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some people change there impellers for water sports like surfing. That's because they want to not because they have to. Save your money and spend it on something else. I can see you will get the mod bug pretty quickly.

One thing I can recommend if you're going to tow your boat is go out and buy some pool noodles cut one side and put that on the top of your windshield. That will help your cover out when it gets sucked down when towing. Less likely of it getting snagged and rip

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I will agree that you can't change an impeller out on the water, but that being said when I owned sea doo gtx skies with the 4 tec engines I ALWAYS carried a spare jet pump with me in my tow vehicle and I did need to change it on the boat ramp more than once, I still have the spare pump as a matter of fact. Sea Doo is setup quite different than Yamaha . And changing the pump out was fairly easy to do.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope, never needed a spare.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I travel with a spare impeller when i am on vacation. Also i bring the tools needed to replace and change if needed. I once used a 4" grinder to cut off a stuck impeller in a parking lot, but we got the boat back on the water in about 4 hours.

But i also travel with a spare cover, in case the 1st cover gets destroyed.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In thousands of hours of jet boat use (Jet Skis mainly) I've only had my day stopped twice by a pump issue. One time ended the day, the other time was simply a rock lodged between impeller and housing. All other times were simple clean outs. Never even considered carrying a spare anything except plugs. No way I'm wrenching to "pump removal" level on a lake day. If it ever happens, we will simply shift to shore play until the day is done.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I mean, you plan on doing the great loop cruise then yes, otherwise, nope.