• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spare Tire

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up a nail in one of my tires. My dad lives pretty close to me and he works part time delivering tires for a tire shop, so I just threw the tire in his truck and he took it to work to have it plugged. They wouldn't touch it because it was so old. Apparently the tires are the original tires that came with the trailer. I was able to plug it myself, but I think I am going to replace the tires. I had a blowout a few years ago when I had the Dynasty on my way to Cumberland. Luckily I was able to limp to a conveniently close tire store, and they had tires in stock at a reasonable price. I don't want to have to deal with another blow out. I currently do not have a spare. I'll likely keep an old tire and buy a standard trailer rim to have a spare tire. Where does everyone mount their spares? I did the same thing with the Dynasty (kept an old tire) and I got a mount that attached to the beam of the trailer up towards the tongue. The tire was mounted upright and out of the way. I'd love to have a spare mounted in the center of the trailer, on its side laying flat. Up towards the winch post. Are there any carriers like this? Or would you have to fabricate something yourself? If so, I'll likely just get another mount like I had on the Dynasty.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the center top behind toolbox and fuel cans is my personal choice. It's a bit of a hassle for when I may need it, but it's also out of the way, and far less likely to attract unwanted attention while parked in an unattended lot for hours on end. Plus I can leave a cover on it to prevent sun damage. Take a prefabricated mount and bolt or weld to a cross member of the frame. Or add a small cross member if needed.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like you have the same year which will be the MFI trailer (if still stock). Here is where mine is located.
IMG_0396.JPG
Surprisingly the original mount cracked in half!
IMG_0952.JPG
So here is my new mount.
IMG_0953.JPG
I add a rubber pad and mount the rim backwards to make the valve accessible for regularly maintaining spare tire pressure. It is easy to overlook; but a spare doesn't completely solve a blowout if it only has 15 PSI in it.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Seadeals what'd you do, rhino line your trailer?
@VONCE basically yes. A few members (back when we were on the other site) tried it on their galvanized trailers and reported favorabe results. I used a galvanized metal primer then rustoleum gloss black on cross members, bow stop and tongue and then used Herculiner on the main side frames fenders and steps. I love the look. It is super durable and the metal underneath is still galvanized (extra protection) should it ever be exposed. I just clean with spic and span and a scrub brush and use 303 aerospace protectant on it once a year and it looks like new again.
IMG_0728.JPG

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@VONCE basically yes. A few members (back when we were on the other site) tried it on their galvanized trailers and reported favorabe results. I used a galvanized metal primer then rustoleum gloss black on cross members, bow stop and tongue and then used Herculiner on the main side frames fenders and steps. I love the look. It is super durable and the metal underneath is still galvanized (extra protection) should it ever be exposed. I just clean with spic and span and a scrub brush and use 303 aerospace protectant on it once a year and it looks like new again.
View attachment 56218
Looks good! My tow vehicle is a 01 Silverado. If you know anything about that generation of GM pickups, you know they rust on the rocker panels. To prevent this, the previous owner used Herculiner and basically turned the truck into a two-tone paint job. I probably wouldn't have done this, but it actually looks okay. It looks good enough that I bought the truck, lol. It's fading in some spots, but I recently bought the Herculiner kit to roll on another coat. If I had the time and resources, I'd love to do the trailer.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally able to show you where my spare is on my new trailer. You'll see it just to the right, up front. Also makes it easy to walk in that area.
View media item 4687

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have added: One should not walk in that particular area, unless invited.
Raven (as in: 'Odin's Raven') was strictly trained in social etiquette (German-style) and therefore would frown upon such rude behavior and she would not be shy about letting that person know of her displeasure. :D