• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker and amp upgrade questions

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know another audio thread. So my amps and 4/6.5 inch replacement speakers have arrived but I'm torn on what others I want to add. So I originally was going to add 2/8 inch speakers one at the helm and one at the passenger seat and a 10 inch ib sub under under the rear seats mounted in the fiberglass. The more I'm thinking about it am I just waisting money putting two 8 inch speakers with tweeters in with a sub? The amp they will be powered on will will also be powering the other 4 interior speakers so will Likley have the high pass filter turned on so really there won't be much bass coming from them so should I just get another set of 6.5's instead? Or should I possibly just not get the sub and leave the filters off and go with the 2 8's

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Subwoofer and a 8" mid-range play different frequencies. You can get better mid-bass response with the 8s than a 6.5" (in general) and keep the sub dedicated to sub duties.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also, be sure to measure the 8" speakers depth at the helm....the 6.5" JLs I put in were about as deep as would fit in my boat....you can always add spacers though....

I like my 6.5" JLs at the helm! Nothing wrong with a little more mid bass! <Evil Grin> its only money....

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, be sure to measure the 8" speakers depth at the helm....the 6.5" JLs I put in were about as deep as would fit in my boat....you can always add spacers though....

I like my 6.5" JLs at the helm! Nothing wrong with a little more mid bass! <Evil Grin> its only money....
I plan to put them in the floor board. I just wasn't sure if the 8's would be over kill with a filter on them but I think I will go that path. I would love to put them higher up like you did @Julian just not sure I feel confident in my skills cutting up there.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go 6.5's in the helm and the 8's were the rear 6.5's are... But then again I would just do 6.5's all around with the Sub.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I plan to put them in the floor board. I just wasn't sure if the 8's would be over kill with a filter on them but I think I will go that path. I would love to put them higher up like you did @Julian just not sure I feel confident in my skills cutting up there.
I'd go with 6.5" up higher than putting 8" ones down low....these aren't hard to cut in....especially with a 5" hole saw! Just make sure you look to see where the cleats are and don't put them in the same spot the cleat backing is. Happy to send some measurements if you need them!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the 6.5 wet sounds that I put in lower than up high like some people have done. Lower in the "tub" gives more mid bass sound. I have my (6) xs650's set to HP and about 85hz now and my 2 WS icon 8's set to AP @ 65hz. Ill tell you that it sounds so sweet that i will not add a sub. Running the 6 in boat speakers off a WS HTX-6 and the towers bridged off a rockford fosgate m400-4.