• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker removal on 2008 SX230

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, this must be really simple because I could not find a prior thread on Speaker removal with the search...

I noticed one speaker is not working (Front right) (on my weekend outing!! -YEAH! finally some weather) but when I went to attack it to examine if the issue is speaker or connection, I could not determine how to remove the speaker. The white cover seems to be snapped in placed, and its location makes it pretty hard to feel the speaker from behind...

Any tips on how to pry off this cover? otherwise reach the screws required to remove the speaker?

Thanks!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, this must be really simple because I could not find a prior thread on Speaker removal with the search...

I noticed one speaker is not working (Front right) (on my weekend outing!! -YEAH! finally some weather) but when I went to attack it to examine if the issue is speaker or connection, I could not determine how to remove the speaker. The white cover seems to be snapped in placed, and its location makes it pretty hard to feel the speaker from behind...

Any tips on how to pry off this cover? otherwise reach the screws required to remove the speaker?

Thanks!!
If it is a stock white grill from a Seaworthy speaker, the covers on mine were a twist lock on (counter clockwise to remove).

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great, I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's the original. Anything out there that is a perfect fit to the original hole?

We use the radio occasionally and at low volume so performance is not a huge factor.

Thanks!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should measure the holes but I believe they are 6.5" speakers. Many off the shelf speakers will fit.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great, I'll try that. I'm pretty sure it's the original. Anything out there that is a perfect fit to the original hole?

We use the radio occasionally and at low volume so performance is not a huge factor.

Thanks!
Many of us have directly replaced the OEM Seaworthy speakers with Polk db651 coaxial. They are reasonably priced, direct drop-in replacements, and they sound very good without additional amplification.

If you want to go for bigger sound, higher quality, etc, there are plenty of other options.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, these drop in replacements... The hole pattern actually matches the factory speaker layout? That would be nice

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thanks!
I have a couple of OEM (Seaworthy - the white ones) speakers sitting around. Shoot me a PM if you want one or two, I will just ship them to you.

EDIT: Polks DB651s are WAY nicer though.

--

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, these drop in replacements... The hole pattern actually matches the factory speaker layout? That would be nice
Yes. They were for me. Hole pattern was a perfect match.

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that all 2008 SX-230s had the same uber-crappy Seaworthy OEM 6.5" speakers... and the Polk db651 were literally about 5 mins each to swap out. I used original wiring with new speakers. Very easy.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very nice. I'm going to confirm the speaker is indeed faulty and if so swap with this.

Thanks!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the offer of free OEM speakers. It might be time for a nice upgrade, but the offer is much appreciated.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you removed any of your stock speakers yet? If so I'd like to know if any had more mounting holes drilled than just the four needed. It may sound like a strange inquiry but this was the case with several of my speakers in the 2006 sx I had and the 2010 ls I have. So covering all of the mounting holes was a concern of mine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you removed any of your stock speakers yet? If so I'd like to know if any had more mounting holes drilled than just the four needed. It may sound like a strange inquiry but this was the case with several of my speakers in the 2006 sx I had and the 2010 ls I have. So covering all of the mounting holes was a concern of mine.
Ditto! Seen it in a 2012 190 and a 2016 240, too.
Must be Yammy robots going rouge, lol.

--

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure the bezel on most speakers will cover any/all holes even if they don't line up. One note on the polks is you ideally need to replace the end plug on the cable to a smaller one for one of the polk terminals as they use a tiny spade connection. I tried (in my SX 230) just attaching half of the spade and it would fall off after 3-4 months....so better off just crimping the right size on at the start.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I installed a horn on the inside with a bracket, and I fished the horn from the anchor storage, I might have loosened the speaker connection also (this just occurred to me)

I'll find out on the weekend and report back.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, speaker was busted. Twitter feel off as I pulled it. Noticed another Speaker was not working, and also found one of the screws was striped, so it seems prior owner tried and failed to remove.

Time to buy replacements.

Thanks for all your help!

No extra holes visible when pulled the speaker.