• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spectrum Gel Coat repair - from "Bang... uh oh" to "like it never happened"

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Newby boater + no depth gauge + poorly marked channel + something hard = Bang... Uh Oh!

Here it is with all the loose pieces picked out and prepped for Spectrum Gel Coat Repair
upload_2016-9-11_17-28-43.png

Slather the stuff on... difficult to form, it's like cake icing....

upload_2016-9-11_17-30-31.png

Wait for it to cure
upload_2016-9-11_17-31-1.png

Sand away... this was more then difficult in this area as one side is flat while the other is rounded and then you have the crown.... Oh and then it also wraps from the bottom to the transom... YUCK... Not too hard though. I got it pretty close the first try.
upload_2016-9-11_17-32-57.png

Reapply, sand again, and buff (could use more buffing, but I do not have a power tool to do it, so that will wait for now.
upload_2016-9-11_17-34-14.png

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out. The color is a perfect match. and I got the shape pretty good. Unless you looked very closely, you would not be able to tell a repair was made, and with a bit more buffing, forget it, it will look perfect.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
great job, were you able to do it on the trailer or did you lift it onto to something else?

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Made repair right on the trailer. Got a little dirty when I was sanding, but otherwise, no sweat.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow that looks great. You made it look easy. I didn't realize it was basically a one step process... (generically speaking). Apply the integral colored gel coat kinda like bondo, sand smooth, the buff... Thats it? No separate clear coat required? And you didn't use air tools or some-sort of powered sander? I am curious where you bought your 'Elbowgrease' because i would like to purchase some! Good Job

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wow that looks great. You made it look easy. I didn't realize it was basically a one step process... (generically speaking). Apply the integral colored gel coat kinda like bondo, sand smooth, the buff... Thats it? No separate clear coat required? And you didn't use air tools or some-sort of powered sander? I am curious where you bought your 'Elbowgrease' because i would like to purchase some! Good Job
Yeah, basically apply and form it up, let it cure, and sand away to get the shape perfect. Reapply if necessary and reform. Lastly you just buff it to a high gloss. I still have yet to buff it to a high gloss as I do not have an electric buffer and the other steps are just hand work. I did sand it down with some very fine sand paper and wet sanded it, so it is very close. The buffing is still un-done.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where are you located? Maybe a member can lend you a DA Polisher. I've got one if you are in MN, but I highly recommend the purchase of one for regular wax jobs if it's in your budget. I bought the WEN 6018 DA polisher on amazon for about $100. It's the only one I've used so I cannot do any comparisons, but it beats the hell out of waxing by hand. I've had my boat for 3 seasons now. I wax it twice a year and try to wipe it down with Meguiar's wash-n-wax between uses and it still shines like new. I've never had to polish it.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where are you located? Maybe a member can lend you a DA Polisher. I've got one if you are in MN, but I highly recommend the purchase of one for regular wax jobs if it's in your budget. I bought the WEN 6018 DA polisher on amazon for about $100. It's the only one I've used so I cannot do any comparisons, but it beats the hell out of waxing by hand. I've had my boat for 3 seasons now. I wax it twice a year and try to wipe it down with Meguiar's wash-n-wax between uses and it still shines like new. I've never had to polish it.
Clearwater FL. Would be great to get my hands on a DA Polisher... maybe I will try to pick one up

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2225.JPG IMG_2224.JPG Well, it's time for me to give this a try, stupid dock had an exposed piece of angle iron....and I may have been coming in a little hotter than I would have liked:-/.

While examining the boat a little bit ago, to see if I needed some other areas to repair, I noticed this hole on the bottom about 2 feet from the rear.

I see spectrum 2009 Yamaha Red, do you think one kit will do it or do I need 2? It's not deep, just knocked the gel coat off, but I can't picture how much 2oz will cover.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 52896 View attachment 52895 Well, it's time for me to give this a try, stupid dock had an exposed piece of angle iron....and I may have been coming in a little hotter than I would have liked:-/.

While examining the boat a little bit ago, to see if I needed some other areas to repair, I noticed this hole on the bottom about 2 feet from the rear.

I see spectrum 2009 Yamaha Red, do you think one kit will do it or do I need 2? It's not deep, just knocked the gel coat off, but I can't picture how much 2oz will cover.
Yes, one 2oz. kit (paste) will be plenty (more than enough even if you have to do it over). Those kits are fantastic, really game changing if you ever tried matching gel coat color... Best to order through iBoats, should be about $30.

--

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, one 2oz. kit (paste) will be plenty (more than enough even if you have to do it over). Those kits are fantastic, really game changing if you ever tried matching gel coat color... Best to order through iBoats, should be about $30.

--
Thanks!
I have it in my "cart" on iboats. Just wanted to mke sure that's all I needed before I order.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I still need to take the time to fix the scratch on my boat, I have the spectrum kit sitting in my garage. The hotel/marina that had the dock in very poor shape did send me a check for the cost of the repair kit, I thought was stand up move on their part.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Very impressive repair. Hope I never have to find this post again.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still need to take the time to fix the scratch on my boat, I have the spectrum kit sitting in my garage. The hotel/marina that had the dock in very poor shape did send me a check for the cost of the repair kit, I thought was stand up move on their part.
That is cool of them!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2496.JPG
I applied the paste Two days ago, didn't have a chance to mess with it yesterday so today I sanded it down and smoothed it out.

I guess I sanded too much, the dark spots started showing, at first I thought it was the tape under the coat that I hadn't peeled off yet, then I realized the edge of the tape was above the spot:-/
I have plenty more, one day I will put another coat on it and cover it up I guess. I haven't buffed it yet, the after pic is wet sanded with 1500 grit and wiped off with a towel....looks pretty nice when wet;-)

I am going to sand the bottom repair tomorrow, maybe, if it's nice enough I'm going to the lake

This stuff really is easy to use, I appreciate all others that have detailed their repairs, it really put me more at ease while doing this!