• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speedometer not working today..

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Year: 2007
Make: Yamaha
Model: AR230HO
Hello all. Took my 2007 AR out today and the speedometer was not working. It worked fine yesterday.. It's the paddle wheel style. The wheel spins freely.. Any ideas? All the wires appear to be connected.. Anyone have a schematic?

Rick

Orang Ezazi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine does not work either and YAMAHA has 3 month back log in selling new one...
its only $220 (including the install) at dealership here in San Diego

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine gets trash in it every once and a while. Spin it couple more times around and see if it starts working. If ur on land u can turn the key on and either put someone in the boat to watch the speedo or record it with ur phone while u blow the wheel with an air compressor

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine gets trash in it every once and a while. Spin it couple more times around and see if it starts working. If ur on land u can turn the key on and either put someone in the boat to watch the speedo or record it with ur phone while u blow the wheel with an air compressor
I've heard hitting it with a jet nozzle setting on a hose also helps to clean it out....worth a try.....perhaps follow up with some wd40?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
mine did not work and the replacement paddle wheel i ordered also did not work when tested. i installed a gps speedometer works great.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the non-paddle style on my 08 SX230HO, mine quit working at Lake Powell recently, noticed part of the tip was broken, probably from hitting debris in the water, my new one will arrive tomorrow.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
WHOA! What a great idea. If mine ever goes out, I'm ordering this!
I use my plotter for speed and have not looked at the non working factory dreamometer for years. This replacement has me wanting to replace all my gauges. Unfortunately I have not found matching tachs that spin to 11,000.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Cray16, pointed out this excellent GPS speedometer for ~$85 in another thread http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349076|2349083&id=3092392
Thanks for pointing this out. I just ordered one for $78. My paddle wheel speedo works, but not accurately. When towing my son today, wakeboarding at 18 mph, I started a slow left turn and the speedo climbed to 25. When I straightened out it fell back to 18. A digital readout, clock, compass, etc. isn't worth 2 or 3 times the price. I'll let you know how this works for me.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
was just having a conversation, with a member, comparing pricing of sunbrella vs. shur-last and he reminded me we all get what we pay for. did i make a mistake buying the precision star? will find out eventually. waiting to see how the other gps units perform. i do like the added features that come with the perfect pass unit.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
was just having a conversation, with a member, comparing pricing of sunbrella vs. shur-last and he reminded me we all get what we pay for. did i make a mistake buying the precision star? will find out eventually. waiting to see how the other gps units perform. i do like the added features that come with the perfect pass unit.
Personally I feel that the Faria GPS speedometer will be just as accurate and reliable as the Perfect Pass version. Faria is a major manufacturer of maring gauges. I expect that gauge is well designed, well tested and will be sold in large quantities.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Getting speed out of GPS data is very simple the only variables between systems on the market today will be how many satellites they track and update rate (baud rate). Lets say you end up with one that tracks very few satellites and has a slow update rate.... it will still be more accurate than a paddle wheel.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After piloting my AR230 all summer pulling wake boarders (mostly my son) I'm ready for the 2017 model with all the automatic features. An accurate speedo is critical to a quality wake board run and the throttle controls on these older Yamahas leave a lot to be desired. Launching a run to 18 or 20 MPH without pulling throttles back too soon or blowing through the target is tough enough, much less trying to hold your target speed. But until I can justify $75k for a new boat (I didn't spend that much for my 2014 Infiniti QX80 SUV and I drive it 28,000 miles a year), an $80 GPS Speedo will have to do.

DonR.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for recommending this GPS speedometer. My speedometer is not working so I have been using the speed from GPS fish finder mounted on right side of dash. Wasn't too excited about $200+ to fix, and plan to buy this speedometer.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After piloting my AR230 all summer pulling wake boarders (mostly my son) I'm ready for the 2017 model with all the automatic features. An accurate speedo is critical to a quality wake board run and the throttle controls on these older Yamahas leave a lot to be desired. Launching a run to 18 or 20 MPH without pulling throttles back too soon or blowing through the target is tough enough, much less trying to hold your target speed. But until I can justify $75k for a new boat (I didn't spend that much for my 2014 Infiniti QX80 SUV and I drive it 28,000 miles a year), an $80 GPS Speedo will have to do.
Sounds like you need Perfect Pass. There will likely be a group buy in February or March. PP will hold whatever speed you set it to or you can set profiles for individual riders.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length