• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

speedometer off?

Z28Johnny

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2015 ar240... I know the gps speedometer isn't perfect, however I took the boat out today and it would only top out at 40mph... not the 50+ that it should... is it the Speedo or is the boat not as fast as it should be?

On my 2015 ar240... I know the gps speedometer isn't perfect, however I took the boat out today and it would only top out at 40mph... not the 50+ that it should... is it the Speedo or is the boat not as fast as it should be?

What is your elevation?

Have you completed the breakin period? Mine only topped 40 or so until I put some hours in on it (5-10). After that, I hit 50 regularly.

Don't freak out like I did...lol

Check it against a smart phone GPS app for starters...

Isn't the new boats gps speedo's?

We were just over 5000 feet. I broke it in today... We were it for 3 or 4 hours... I should have checked it against my phone gps.

Isn't the new boats gps speedo's?

Yes, but I think I would check the easy problem first before tearing apart the engine... The elevation, especially that high, will really effect your performance. Your speedo is probably dead on.

I got mine up to 47 mph @ Powell which is 3500 ft. My 212X would go 51mph @ 4500 ft with mods and it weighted 1000lbs less.

I finished breakin on mine today and easily hit 51-52. That was at 350 feet of elevation. At that 5000 foot elevation you are not going to hit 50+. Every summer I camp at a lake with simular elevation and on all of my boats so far I lose a considerable amount of performance. My Seadoo would not go over 7000 RPM when it normally would hold 7800-8000.

What were your RPM's?

In my '14 242LS, I did about 42 as a max before I went crazy and changed (too many) things. I have a set of high altitude impellers that might sit on the shelf when I get my new ones in a couple weeks... if you're not looking to mod things like I did, that could be a short cut.

I notice you are in Salt Lake. I think the elevation question is key. At flaming gorge, with 6 people on board and bimini up, all I get is 43 mph. your boat is heavier. if you were loaded, had bimini up, were at 4500 feet or higher 40 sounds about right.

Your performance will vary on a lot of factors: elevation, weight in the boat, wind, Bimini up, etc. I regularly boat at Lake Tahoe (6200') and my MR 1s will only turn about 9,000 rpm. Take the boat down to lake shasta which is about 1,000 feet of elevation and they will top out at about 10,200.

Wind is also a big factor and if there's any waves as a result. While cruising on Lake Tahoe, without touching the throttles, I've seen the speed on GPS vary by as much as 5 mph.

I wouldn't get too hung up on top speed...so long as the engines are running well and it's fairly consistent, just enjoy the boat.

I have a set of high altitude impellers being ordered for me by yamaha... I did some reading and these should make a good difference.

I have a set of high altitude impellers being ordered for me by yamaha... I did some reading and these should make a good difference.

Let us know how they perform.

:-). Sounds good. I live the same altitude you do... Know there is a reason why my high altitude impellers are going to be on a shelve in my garage. I changed too many things at the same time in terms of mods and I probably would have been better off just doing my mods and leaving a more stock impeller in the unit. I am having custom made impellers based on the altitude and mods I made to my boat. So if you get high altitude impellers then I wouldn't suggest doing a ribbon delete (riva intake sleeve) mod unless you still are more than 300RPM shy of maxing out your RPMs at the most desired altitude.

I blow out my hole shot unless I am 6k' altitude with a really loaded down boat of people and ballast.

Back