• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sport or FSH and add tower???

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Considering getting a base model and adding either a FishMaster $1250 or Custom T-Top $2500? (I'll end up adding lights and rocket launchers but comparing to what the Sport comes with). The Sport will cost +$4000 compared to the Base model.

Big motivation to modify a base is to get a white hull (dark hulls oxidize like crazy in the Texs sun).
So is the OEM top great? Good? Poor? Am I making a mistake not getting the OEM tower?

If I do not need to fold the tower for garaging, would a custom tower that is not foldable be the best / toughest / significantly more rigid? Do people like foldability for reasons other than garaging? Dies anyone wish theirs did no fold?

Thanks in advance! (Pulling the trigger at the end of the week).

3thrty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought my Sport two weeks ago. Love it! Top is sturdy. I am happy with it. Jetboatpilot.com has a rocket launcher package with light add on. I opted to install my own anchor light and two lumitec spreaders (front and back) which I installed myself easily.

I considered going after market... I didn't like the idea of an outsource shop drilling holes in my boat. Plus the weight design and materials all flow with stock.

Enjoy your boat.

venicebrian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Considering getting a base model and adding either a FishMaster $1250 or Custom T-Top $2500? (I'll end up adding lights and rocket launchers but comparing to what the Sport comes with). The Sport will cost +$4000 compared to the Base model.

Big motivation to modify a base is to get a white hull (dark hulls oxidize like crazy in the Texs sun).
So is the OEM top great? Good? Poor? Am I making a mistake not getting the OEM tower?

If I do not need to fold the tower for garaging, would a custom tower that is not foldable be the best / toughest / significantly more rigid? Do people like foldability for reasons other than garaging? Dies anyone wish theirs did no fold?

Thanks in advance! (Pulling the trigger at the end of the week).
I don't have the answers to your questions but, if you want to save money, consider buying my Fsh sport, 2016 with 40 hours on it.. Full sea deck, rocket launchers, it's JBP edition, full cushion set, Yamaha mooring cover, dash organizer etc etc...
Probably save 10k off of new price.

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Reading on phone and do not see how to PM so please PM me VeniceBrian.

venicebrian

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lol, looks like your in the same spot I was. Sold my FSH 9 months after owning it to purchase a bigger non jet boat.
Yeah I remember reading all those posts when you were selling it.. that's about the time I started shopping for one of these.

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Depends on what you need it for? And by Tower do you mean just a T-Top for shade or are you looking for a flats/cobia tower for sight fishing? The factory T-Top is plenty strong enough for both. As soon as saw it I wanted to add a second helm station up top and make a "real"IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG flats tower above the factory T-top. Reality set in and the dual control station price for this jet boat got out of hand fast. So 10 minutes with a hack saw and die grinder created my flats tower. With the remote control trolling motor I can now cast and blast for marsh fishing. For family cruising and cocktail cove the factory cover can go back on for much needed shade. If you need a dedicated fishing tower you could also un-bolt the factory top section and bolt on a custom flats tower to the top if you need more room. One hint, don't tow with your factory top on. A few trips at hi-way speed ripped mine in half. Dealer left out the part about no top on above 45.

Last edited:

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Just for shade (and looks, honestly). In the second picture above it looks like the white powder coat is not holding up well at all. Or is that just flecks of black debris on it? If that is typical then I really do not want the OEM T-Top (the finish on my 2004 Malibu tower looks to be holding up way better).

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length

1. between 1:25 and 1:40 it looks like the tower is shaking. At first I thought it was the camera shaking, but the rest of the image is stable. Is this typical rigidity?

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ha, no that's Love Bugs splattered all over the tubing. I hadn't washed it down yet when I took those pictures. The factory powder coating is actually really good and thick. It's super stable. No shaking. I'm a big buy and even sitting up top in waves it does not move or wiggle. If all you want is shade then you might not want the Sport.

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Ha, no that's Love Bugs splattered all over the tubing. I hadn't washed it down yet when I took those pictures. The factory powder coating is actually really good and thick. It's super stable. No shaking. I'm a big buy and even sitting up top in waves it does not move or wiggle. If all you want is shade then you might not want the Sport.
Thank God!!!

Mountain Fish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I don't have the answers to your questions but, if you want to save money, consider buying my Fsh sport, 2016 with 40 hours on it.. Full sea deck, rocket launchers, it's JBP edition, full cushion set, Yamaha mooring cover, dash organizer etc etc...
Probably save 10k off of new price.
Do you still have your fsh sport

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just sold my FSH after 25 hours as wife said boat too small. I did like the boat but we frequent the barrier islands and usually have other families with us and not hard core fisherman. Bigger boat was warranted. I have no ill feelings with the FSH....actually enjoyed it. I will say that the addition of the aftermarket Saltwater Series top did slow the boat down significantly. It did look good though. If I did it again, I would have went with the factory tower. The base model minus the seat back and upgraded cushion material and white color was too plain for my taste.

Mountain Fish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you for the reply. My wife and I are looking for real life reviews. For us that is a big purchase. Out of 10 trips, 9 of them will have no more than 4 people. We mostly do lakes around Nc and sc with an occasional trip to intercoastal water way. One out of ten trips is six with my wife and kids. But that is basically just to ride out and swim. Does the boat ride ok in 1-2 foot boat traffic chop. That is average bad water for us. And how loud is it

Mountain Fish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also we are looking at the deluxe with bimini vs the sport with t top. After running it would it be comfortable without the top to hold onto

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The bimini on the deluxe would offer more shade than the T-top. If you're not going to constantly fight fish along the gunnels then the bimini should work fine. All jet boats are loud. Mine is 84 dB at 6k cruise speeds and over 90 at WFO. An amp is usually the first stereo mod made to fight engine noise.

Nctinter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just sold my FSH after 25 hours as wife said boat too small. I did like the boat but we frequent the barrier islands and usually have other families with us and not hard core fisherman. Bigger boat was warranted. I have no ill feelings with the FSH....actually enjoyed it. I will say that the addition of the aftermarket Saltwater Series top did slow the boat down significantly. It did look good though. If I did it again, I would have went with the factory tower. The base model minus the seat back and upgraded cushion material and white color was too plain for my taste.
What did you end up getting to replace the FSH? There's one for sale down in Punta Gorda with the foldable ttop. Is that your old one?

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
624ED877-B516-4420-A9B2-20A421962C35.JPG DBB7A4E9-312D-43CC-A25B-CAC5796D94DB.JPG 4134F72B-A63C-430A-A468-049A1ABE3DEB.JPG

I had the same dilemma when I was looking to buy the FSH. I ended up getting the Deluxe with the bimini top, but added an aftermarket Dolphin T-Top that can be folded forward and also the top half can removed just like the factory Sport model T-top. The main selling point for me was the ability to keep it in my garage when not being used. This way I now have the T-top for fishing days and the bimini top for family days in the sun. I'm really happy with the way it worked out. Hope it helps!

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes the one in Punta Gorda was mine. Picked up a Glasstream 240CC. Purchased in Punta Gorda.

ajvigants

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
View attachment 55146 View attachment 55147 View attachment 55148

I had the same dilemma when I was looking to buy the FSH. I ended up getting the Deluxe with the bimini top, but added an aftermarket Dolphin T-Top that can be folded forward and also the top half can removed just like the factory Sport model T-top. The main selling point for me was the ability to keep it in my garage when not being used. This way I now have the T-top for fishing days and the bimini top for family days in the sun. I'm really happy with the way it worked out. Hope it helps!
Pulled the trigger on a left over 2106 FSH (base model) so now committed to the aftermarket tower route.

I visited 2 custom tower makers in the Houston area today and although their work was beautiful, the upcharges for their accessories made my gills a little green. The top itself (w/canvas) would be $2300 or $2400 from either and I would be able to stomach that because their towers were both gorgeous and ROCK SOLID. The have little details like offset feet to bring the sides in tight to the console so they do not steal room from the aisle, 2 standoffs on each side of the console, etc.. Really, really nice work. But their prices for adding to the base platform are just too rich for my tastes. For adding an electronic box they wanted $600, $250 each for spreader lights, top mounted anchor light or LED courtesy light, $100+ per rod holder, etc.. I had in mind to have 5 rod holders, the anchor light on top, a pair of spreader lights on each of the front and back, and an electronics box with courtesy light under it . . . . bringing the total to $5K. Ouch

Maybe I need to get over wanting to turn the FSH into something it is not. I will fish here on Lake Houston most of the time and Clear Lake once in a while, but I would never take a single engine 19' boat off shore (no death wish here but to those that do take them off shore I say, "Carpe Diem!") but I do not really need it to be equipped like a "real boat". It is not big enough to fish with so many people that I need more rod holders than it already has (and I don't really like fishing with more than 2 others at the same time) and the lights are only there for night fishing that I also probably will do infrequently . . . seldom enough that portable lamps would be enough.

@dlkhmk: Your T-Top is clearly there for shade and something to hold onto and is not loaded down with a ton of gear, so with that mindset, maybe it is enough? What made you decide on Dolphin vs Stryker vs Fishmaster? I thought that the Dolphin looked good, but when I saw it was 1.5" tubing instead of 2", I assumed it would feel flimsy. How solid does it feel? Also not clear whether you can run wiring through it . . . at a minimum the anchor light should be relocated to the top if it ever to be used at night, right? Any chance of a few more pictures? Specifically interested in whether the console rod holders remain functional and a shot from exactly 90 degrees to the boat showing how the curve of the tower matches (or does not follow) the the profile of the console.

I'd love to see similar shots of a Stryker and Fishmaster on the FSH from other forum members.