• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sportjet 175 flywheel only turns approx 270 degree by hand

pumper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We just picked up a 2000 Cutter 17ft with merc sportjet 175 jet drive. owner says the engine stopped on him this past summer after running it at low rpms through a river followed by WOT. Flywheel turns smoothly with socket and bar not quite full rotation ( 280 degrees) either way and does not feel like anything dragging..just stops. Before pulling the engine, does anyone have any ideas of the cause or troubleshoot cause other than major interior engine failure. i.e pump/ gear /impeller issue. Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
remove the plugs and look inside also look at the plugs if one is smashed you know the engine threw a rod

pumper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That makes sense. Thanks for the tip. Will follow up with my observations

pumper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pulled the engine out , removed head and crank covers off today and found #2 port piston melted so bad that it had debris jamming at the ports and tons of aluminum debris on walls of bore. Crank looks fines at initial inspection . Rest of the pistons also look fine at this stage of tear down but plastic oil pump gear surface is damaged and seems loose. Would an oil pump failure be the only cause of only one piston to be destroyed like that. It also had iridium style plugs installed by previous owner which all looked normal.

pumper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before I rebuild with new #4 piston ( not #2 port as mentioned last post) and new rings on rest, I am still trying to figure out what caused #4 piston to melt. Here is a pic of the heads (top head- center is the one that had melted piston) and the piston Can anyone tell from the coloration or damage pattern what may have been the cause? Leak at head?, too lean mix from carb, etc?? I don't want a repeat. Any help appreciated

Attachments