• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

St. Joseph Bay/Port St. Joe

DStinson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am taking a trip to Port St. Joe in a couple of weeks and trying my luck scalloping and fishing in the bay. Has anyone fished St. Joseph Bay? Any pointers or suggestions on good spots to check out?

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
How did the scalloping turn out? I went a few times this year and loved it.

Jim Galbraith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
missed your post, but wife and I fish there regularly. Offshore public numbers can be found at MBARA website. never tried scalloping. but I fish the bay and offshore, I use my 2018 Yamaha FSH 190 sport. word to the wise, black tips are heavy in the bay

DStinson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How did the scalloping turn out? I went a few times this year and loved it.
I haven’t been on here in a while so missed these posts. Our scalloping trip was a bit of a bust. We managed to catch a lot of sharks and catfish but nothing worth keeping. Either way we had a lot of fun just being out on the water. I did have my first experience clogging the intakes with grass and nearly got caught in some shallow water as the tide went out but thankfully we managed to remedy both situations. I was getting a little nervous about it for a while though.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love that area. I worked at the radar site at Cape San Blas for a while, lived on Tyndall AFB so I drove through Port St Joe everyday.
The guys I worked with grew up there so they were all about the scalloping and fishing.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I haven’t been on here in a while so missed these posts. Our scalloping trip was a bit of a bust. We managed to catch a lot of sharks and catfish but nothing worth keeping. Either way we had a lot of fun just being out on the water. I did have my first experience clogging the intakes with grass and nearly got caught in some shallow water as the tide went out but thankfully we managed to remedy both situations. I was getting a little nervous about it for a while though.
I've never been up to Port St Joe but really enjoyed scalloping in the gulf last summer. I hear you on the grass, I vacuumed up quite a bit. Scalloping isn't so bad though because I was in the water anyway so I'd just clean it out before I moved the boat. That would have been annoying during a fishing trip though!

DStinson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I learned my lesson trying to go to shallow with the grass. I have my trolling motor installed now so hopefully it won’t be as big of a concern next time I head down there.