• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stage 3 SX-195 Test Run

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey Everyone,

We have been battling an issue with the boat running correctly towards the end of last season... We took it to to the dealer and they basically said, “you’ve done to much work and we have no idea whys it’s not running correctly“. We reached to Brian @ Riva Racing, and he was able to determine it most likely was either the ECU or the Wiring Harness. He determined this because it was throwing all kinds of error codes, but all the parts and systems were functioning correctly. We bought a new ECU, but still had the same problem. Then one day I started by running my hand down the wiring harness and just moving it slightly and then all the sudden the boat started running and idling perfectly!! Needless to say, we had to replace the harness and now we have been able to test all of the stage 3 mods that we had installed previously, but weren’t able to test...

We pretty much spent the entire last 2 years testing out different impeller pitches, parts, and tunes (Provided by Jesus @ Riva Racing) to see what was going to be the most reliable setup. This is what we came up with...

Gabriela’s Mods:

Approximately 412hp @ 20 PSI Boost @ 8500 rpm

Engine & Performance Mods:

*AMSOIL Marine Synthetic 10w40
*NGK (LFR7A) Plugs .020 GAP
*Jet boat Pilot Lateral Thruster
*Wet Wolf Yam-5 Adjust a Thrust
*Solas Concord YV-CD-13.5/17.5 Impeller Custom Pitched, Balanced, Blueprinted W/Race Finish By Impros
*K&N Marine Cold Air Filter
*Riva Racing Intake Manifold Upgrade Kit
*Riva Racing Breather Kit
*Fizzle Factory Y-1000 Intercooler
*HKS SQV4 Blow Off Valve
*RIVA Racing MaptunerX Stage 3
*Monitoring & Data-logging App
*Worx Racing High Flow Strainer
*Riva Racing Thermostat Delete
*Engine-Tech ET-20 S.C. Wheel
*Riva Racing 1000cc Fuel Injectors
*Liquid Filled Fuel Pressure Gauge
*Quantum 340-LPH Fuel Pump
*PLX Monitor W/Bosch WB O2
*R&D O2 Sensor Housing
*Aquasport Performance -2 Degree Pump Shim
*Resonator Delete W/Custom Free Flow Exhaust

We hit 65.1 mph with 2 people, a full tank of fuel, 71 degrees F air temperature, 40% humidity, & 61 degrees F water temperature. Based off this speed it will hit 67 mph with one person, 1/3 tank of fuel, with similar atmospheric conditions.

Attached is a link from one of our runs that day!!

Attachments

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Excellent work!!!

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks for the inspiration and advice. I took it as far as I can go without doing internals!!

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Tell us about the cover you have over the bow seating area.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey Everyone,

We have been battling an issue with the boat running correctly towards the end of last season... We took it to to the dealer and they basically said, “you’ve done to much work and we have no idea whys it’s not running correctly“. We reached to Brian @ Riva Racing, and he was able to determine it most likely was either the ECU or the Wiring Harness. He determined this because it was throwing all kinds of error codes, but all the parts and systems were functioning correctly. We bought a new ECU, but still had the same problem. Then one day I started by running my hand down the wiring harness and just moving it slightly and then all the sudden the boat started running and idling perfectly!! Needless to say, we had to replace the harness and now we have been able to test all of the stage 3 mods that we had installed previously, but weren’t able to test...

We pretty much spent the entire last 2 years testing out different impeller pitches, parts, and tunes (Provided by Jesus @ Riva Racing) to see what was going to be the most reliable setup. This is what we came up with...

Gabriela’s Mods:

Approximately 412hp @ 20 PSI Boost @ 8500 rpm

Engine & Performance Mods:

*AMSOIL Marine Synthetic 10w40
*NGK (LFR7A) Plugs .020 GAP
*Jet boat Pilot Lateral Thruster
*Wet Wolf Yam-5 Adjust a Thrust
*Solas Concord YV-CD-13.5/17.5 Impeller Custom Pitched, Balanced, Blueprinted W/Race Finish By Impros
*K&N Marine Cold Air Filter
*Riva Racing Intake Manifold Upgrade Kit
*Riva Racing Breather Kit
*Fizzle Factory Y-1000 Intercooler
*HKS SQV4 Blow Off Valve
*RIVA Racing MaptunerX Stage 3
*Monitoring & Data-logging App
*Worx Racing High Flow Strainer
*Riva Racing Thermostat Delete
*Engine-Tech ET-20 S.C. Wheel
*Riva Racing 1000cc Fuel Injectors
*Liquid Filled Fuel Pressure Gauge
*Quantum 340-LPH Fuel Pump
*PLX Monitor W/Bosch WB O2
*R&D O2 Sensor Housing
*Aquasport Performance -2 Degree Pump Shim
*Resonator Delete W/Custom Free Flow Exhaust

We hit 65.1 mph with 2 people, a full tank of fuel, 71 degrees F air temperature, 40% humidity, & 61 degrees F water temperature. Based off this speed it will hit 67 mph with one person, 1/3 tank of fuel, with similar atmospheric conditions.

Attached is a link from one of our runs that day!!

Impressive results. Did you do all of the mods at once or did you do any testing between? Just wondering which mods yielded the best return.

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Impressive results. Did you do all of the mods at once or did you do any testing between? Just wondering which mods yielded the best return.
They were done over the last 2 years and we tested in between them. Basically the best way to put it is the more boost you add the more power it makes, but you have upgrade other systems in conjunction to adding the boost.

When you add boost it creates more heat and then you have to use a bigger and more efficient intercooler to compensate for the heat. This is why Yamaha upgraded the intercooler between SHO and SVHO to deal with the heat soak issue that is created by adding additional boost. One thing that I’ve learned is that the intercooler is a very important part of any build that you do.

The small mods support the bigger ones and believe or not are a necessity for increasing performance. The most important thing is the tune that your using. Riva Racing has a few different tunes from stock to stage 3 that are the foundation of any build. There’s other tunes are out there that are available from, but the Riva Racing tunes are the most reliable and tested. They didn’t have a stage 3 tune for an SVHO powered boat, until I had reached out them. Jesus @ Riva Racing did the legwork and determined that the ECU that’s used in the 2018 and up SX/AR195 is based off of the FX SVHO ECU. He was able to craft a tune based off the FX SVHO stage 3 and through sending him data logs from my Maptuner X in conjunction with the PLX, he was able to fine tune it.

For example; the stock fuel injectors will do great up to a mild stage 2 build, but if you upgrade the supercharger impeller wheel, then you have to change the injectors.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you’re looking to do, but I always recommend starting with the tune in conjunction with an intercooler is the best bet.

Ozark

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
They were done over the last 2 years and we tested in between them. Basically the best way to put it is the more boost you add the more power it makes, but you have upgrade other systems in conjunction to adding the boost.

When you add boost it creates more heat and then you have to use a bigger and more efficient intercooler to compensate for the heat. This is why Yamaha upgraded the intercooler between SHO and SVHO to deal with the heat soak issue that is created by adding additional boost. One thing that I’ve learned is that the intercooler is a very important part of any build that you do.

The small mods support the bigger ones and believe or not are a necessity for increasing performance. The most important thing is the tune that your using. Riva Racing has a few different tunes from stock to stage 3 that are the foundation of any build. There’s other tunes are out there that are available from, but the Riva Racing tunes are the most reliable and tested. They didn’t have a stage 3 tune for an SVHO powered boat, until I had reached out them. Jesus @ Riva Racing did the legwork and determined that the ECU that’s used in the 2018 and up SX/AR195 is based off of the FX SVHO ECU. He was able to craft a tune based off the FX SVHO stage 3 and through sending him data logs from my Maptuner X in conjunction with the PLX, he was able to fine tune it.

For example; the stock fuel injectors will do great up to a mild stage 2 build, but if you upgrade the supercharger impeller wheel, then you have to change the injectors.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you’re looking to do, but I always recommend starting with the tune in conjunction with an intercooler is the best bet.
Thanks for the response. I was reading through your other thread and it looks like you achieved 58MPH with the Y1000 intercooler, HKS BOV, K&N Filter, and the stage 1 plus tune. If I could achieve that I would be more than happy putting down the wrench (and wallet) lol.

If I am understanding correctly, once you purchase the maptuner and license you have access to the tuning library and can use any of their tunes. Is this correct? Or do you have to buy the stage 1, stage 2, etc. separately?

Smitty78

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I was reading through your other thread and it looks like you achieved 58MPH with the Y1000 intercooler, HKS BOV, K&N Filter, and the stage 1 plus tune. If I could achieve that I would be more than happy putting down the wrench (and wallet) lol.

If I am understanding correctly, once you purchase the maptuner and license you have access to the tuning library and can use any of their tunes. Is this correct? Or do you have to buy the stage 1, stage 2, etc. separately?
You’re welcome and I completely understand because it starts to get a little expensive!!!

When you buy the tuning license and the Maptuner X, you get access to the Riva Racing tuning library.

You’ll download the software to your laptop or computer. Open up the software, link your Maptuner X to the software and register the product. You’ll set up an account with the username and password and then you’ll disconnect Maptuner X when prompted and connect it to the right hand side ECU coupler in your engine compartment.

You’ll connect the power supply for the Maptuner X to your battery and turn the power on to your boat. Once the MaptunerX has powered up, you’ll click on the ad vehicle icon. This will create a back up of your ECU to the Maptuner X. Once prompted you’ll disconnect the Maptuner X and reconnect it with your laptop or computer that you’ve loaded the software onto. Open up the software, add your tuning license that you’ve purchased to the vehicle that you’ve added to the Maptuner X.

Once you’ve done this, you’ll be able to download the available tunes from Riva Racing and load them onto your tuner. The available tunes that they have for the AR-SX 195 boats are:

Stock
Stage 1
Stage 1+
Stage 2

You’ll also have access to the Stage 3 tune that Jesus has created for the boat, but that tune doesn’t automatically come up when your looking for the available tunes. It’s something you have to ask for and you can only use if you’ve heavily modified the boat.

When you do download the tunes and if your boat’s an SX195, the tune will say AR195, but there’s no different tune because they only difference is cosmetic between the two boats.

Without a good and reliable tune, any mods you do are worthless...

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
A whole lot of awesome in this thread. Nice job!!