• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Standard verses Walkabout layout

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I currently have an I/O with the standard two captains chair seating layout. I am contemplating buying an AR model (boat length as of yet undetermined) for the walkabout layout. However, I am a bit concerned that my wife (who thinks that she likes the walkabout layout) will actually miss having her own chair type seat to sit in while we are cruising the lake.

If anyone has any thoughts or experience with the issue, I would greatly appreciate your comments. We already made one bad boating purchase two years ago and don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the reasons I went with my 2016 AR240 is the layout with passenger captains chair. The swivel and recline feature makes it very versatile. I love that it can face 180 degrees and create a comfy rear facing lounge. It's a big enough boat, there's plenty of other seating options anywhere you decide to point your butt. :mooning: :D

If you want smaller than the 24 ft boat you can get the twin captains chairs in the 21 ft, but you'd have to step up to the Limited or Limited S.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably stay around a 190/195 at this point...:)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out the sx model, Yamaha used to put two captains chairs in the sx models of the 230 and 240 including th S models.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have her sit in both. When we got our boat three years ago, I wasn't dead set on getting the 212 X with the tower and J Seating or the SS with no tower and two captain chairs. Wife sat in both, liked the openness of the 212X, so we got that one. Going into it, I thought for sure she would prefer her own Captain's Chair.

Having been on it for three years the openness is really nice. But I grew up on a small 17' runabout, that was kind of cramped with anymore than three people on it. On our 212X it doesn't start to feel cramped until you get more than 6 people on it.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. Are you going new or used? The older AR240s do have a flip up/down front passenger seat which IMHO provides the best of both worlds. Want a lounge, lay it out. . . . .want a fwd facing chair, fold it up.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out the sx model, Yamaha used to put two captains chairs in the sx models of the 230 and 240 including th S models.
Looks like this is true with the current SX190, SX195, and SX210 models as well. All current 24 ft boats have a passenger captains chair.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are looking at the 190s, you probably can convert the j seating to twin captain chairs or vice versa so I doubt you would have to scrap the whole thing if she ends up preferring the other.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My preference would have been for the dual captain's chairs when we bought our 212X, BUT we've really started to like the J seating. It's really comfortable for a passenger to sit facing back and stretch out (although I recall some new models you can hit your head that way, so double check that). It is also (picky) wife approved, she's spent tons of hours with our little one on her lap, both happy, chilling and watching the wake (she likes it enough to not take turns driving:)).

Dual captain's that rotate 180 give you more options (but leg room can suffer), while the J seating is probably most efficient use of space.

In any event, after having ours for years, I wouldn't let the layout sway you either way, both are nice.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@spatty99 beat me to it as I was typing...I have a 230 I liked the higher gunwale height of the 2007+ and had my doubts on the lack of captain chain. The boat is now always in J seating arrangement (vs. the front facing seat) and it feels very spacious, and she likes the layout a great deal. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Try them both, but the J seating has some advantages in space that are not evident until you use it. It is nice also.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also if you have younger kids the J seating makes it easier for another adult passenger to keep them wrangled in.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like this is true with the current SX190, SX195, and SX210 models as well. All current 24 ft boats have a passenger captains chair.
Oops, I meant limited not S models. If it has an S it has a tower and lounge seating not two captains chairs.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We love the long bench and J-seating layout. It gives you more room than two captains chairs and it makes the boat feel larger than it really is. It maximizes the available space IMO. You also have storage space under the bench that you lose with two captains chairs. You could always add the second chair later if you want as dealers can install it for you. Take a demo ride on both the SX or AR and see what y'all think before buying.

Last edited:

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I will likely stay in the 190/195 size rang in a new boat, but a 212 is possible if a nice used one turns up. I will likely go with the j seating and the wakeboard tower. The wife never sits facing forward in her seat as it is, so sitting facing the driver shouldn't be a problem. We only have one adult son, so kids wont be an issue.

The only major concern at this point is giving up the sunpad on our current boat. My wife loves that thing. The rear lounge seating is nice, but it isn't a sunpad. The other issue, will be trying to find as dealer willing to take my current boat in on trade. I don't need two.....:)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think there are filler cushions available from yamaha and/or jet boat pilot that can quickly convert the bow area into a sun pad like area.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you go with an AR 192 or 195 they will come standard with the filler cushion which makes for a nice sun pad/lounge.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is one area that I will have her check out. The filler cushion is nice, but we have an u unusually large sunpad for an 18 foot boat. She can actually spread out flat both face up and face down for her tanning naps.........lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is one area that I will have her check out. The filler cushion is nice, but we have an u unusually large sunpad for an 18 foot boat. She can actually spread out flat both face up and face down for her tanning naps.........lol
She could do that on the bench seat. My wife does the same.

If you go with any 19' Yamaha runabout, the one area of the seating I didn't like was the engine hatch seat cushion. I did not like stepping on it every time I got in/out of the boat. I bought the seat conversion kit from @JetBoatPilot and absolutely love it! You can buy a middle filler cushion but we didn't care to as we never sit in the middle over the engine since the backrest isn't as high or comfortable due to the step over hump design.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's the optional filler cushion....

image.jpeg

Last edited:

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
She could do that on the bench seat. My wife does the same.

If you go with any 19' Yamaha runabout, the one area of the seating I didn't like was the engine hatch seat cushion.
Why didn't you like stepping on the hatch seat cushion? were you concerned about its rigidity?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@vetplus40 I just don't like stepping on cushions as they are a wear item. Stepping on a cushion versus a solid surface with SeaDek is no comparison as it also adds safety in sure footing. It's not necessary but a personal preference.