• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starboard at 9600 rpm WOT

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ever since I bought it the starboard motor has topped out at 9600 rpm. I get 10200 from port side. I have put all new plugs in and still no change. I'm thinking it might be the throttle stop misadjusted. I also am curious if this looks right to y'all. Throttles all the way forward and the gates are not completely out of the way.

Attachments

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had lower rpms on my starboard engine. Like 7500. It was due to gas in the oil caused by wide open injector because of faulty cpu.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had something similar when I first got mine with the starboard engine a few years ago. I adjusted the throttle body cable, oil and spark plug change and it went back to where it should be.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here’s a good video though the location on my 06 is under the air filter housing iirc. The service manual has good maint procedure to adjust the gates within spec. You should still make sure they are good.

marmstufl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had lower rpms on my starboard engine. Like 7500. It was due to gas in the oil caused by wide open injector because of faulty cpu.
This can also lead to a blown engine. I had a faulty cpu (ecu) that kept washing out cylinder #1 and cracking a ring. 2 blown engines later they figured it out... Thank God for warranties.

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I figured it out before that happened thank god. It’s a 2005 so no warranties lol.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So how do I know of fuel is getting in the oil? And would this show up on YDS?

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The oil will be thin and lighter in color. It will also smell like gas. Use the engine oil on your “good” engine as a baseline.

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good question. Check it cold and then if you can’t tell run warm.

Jeremiah

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, the engine in question should have a higher level if it is filling with gas.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks Ill have plenty of time to check this out before I get out on the water again. We have been having crazy wind lately. @Jeremiah

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While the ECU certainly could be the issue I would think it would be way down the list of possibilities without further indicators,

check your oil at every outing not only so that your not low on oil but that it's not overfilled (indicator of fuel being mixed in)

I would confirm with a YDS that your tach is correct then it's probably a case of throttle cable adjustment,

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While the ECU certainly could be the issue I would think it would be way down the list of possibilities without further indicators,

check your oil at every outing not only so that your not low on oil but that it's not overfilled (indicator of fuel being mixed in)

I would confirm with a YDS that your tach is correct then it's probably a case of throttle cable adjustment,

Good Advice

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What ever happened? Did you figure it out?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok. I'm experiencing something similar. I thought it was my rebuilt impellers, but i installed solas impellers and I'm seeing the exact same behavior as before. Troubleshooting without the air filter did not resolve. I'm going to check with the yds this weekend to make sure the TB sensors look good.