• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Start your Engines

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Has anyone noticed if one engine starts easier than the other? Is this normal? My starboard engine starts right up every time. But lately my port engine can barely turn over and clicks as if the battery is dead (but it just started the other engine with no problem). Switching to two batteries it starts right up. My chaparral has 2 start batteries (is this right?) Should I just replace both batteries or could it be more? Once both engines are running, the boats operates perfectly.

Due to the port engine failing to start, I'm getting fault codes: See picture below.
P013F (STBD)
P013F (PORT)
P0340 (PORT)
C2102 (EREV)
C2161 (EREV)

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. TIA

IMG_0180.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone noticed if one engine starts easier than the other? Is this normal? My starboard engine starts right up every time. But lately my port engine can barely turn over and clicks as if the battery is dead (but it just started the other engine with no problem). Switching to two batteries it starts right up. My chaparral has 2 start batteries (is this right?) Should I just replace both batteries or could it be more? Once both engines are running, the boats operates perfectly.

Due to the port engine failing to start, I'm getting fault codes: See picture below.
P013F (STBD)
P013F (PORT)
P0340 (PORT)
C2102 (EREV)
C2161 (EREV)

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. TIA

View attachment 87332
Is there a way to reverse the sequence?
If it starts up with two batteries on - likely the starting battery may need some attention.

--

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thank you @swatski! Sounds simple enough. I wasn't sure if this could mean something else.

Do you think it would be okay with 2 deep cells or 1 start and 1 deep cell. Presently I have 2 start batteries.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @swatski! Sounds simple enough. I wasn't sure if this could mean something else.

Do you think it would be okay with 2 deep cells or 1 start and 1 deep cell. Presently I have 2 start batteries.
I would go with two deep cycle batteries.

My current setup has two dealer-installed batteries - Interstate "cranking" and "deep cycle (dual?)" - in my 2016, work well but I will for sure replace those two with two deep cycles, probably AGM.

The engines in our boats are relatively very easy to crank and (IMO) do not require a dedicated cranking battery while marine deep cycles generally last longer and are much less sensitive to discharge related damage.

Assuming that likewise Yamaha you ahve a stator (not an alternator) on board to charge the batteries while the engines are running, charging on shore power will help tremendously to increase bat longevity. An on-board charger can be super handy for that. If no shore power, solar!

--

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I agree, 2 deep cycle batteries would be better. Any particular brand of AGM batteries?

I have a solar charging setup right now but planning on changing to shore power.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Doesn't sound like it is a battery, as you said the starboard engine starts perfectly. Both engines use the same battery for starting.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like a pump liner swelling and dragging on the impellor, does it do start easier as the day goes on and hardest in the beginning of the day?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, it does start easier when the engine is warm (as it was already running). Couple weeks ago, went to Gasparilla. We drove there and then idled for about 90 minutes. Turned off the engines for about 20 minutes. Started the port engine first with no issues and then the starboard. But, could this have been due to the battery being charged on the ride?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It could be many things so here is what you do, with the boat on the trailer not having been used for a while like a week or longer if possible turn over the engine for a second and see how it sounds, then go spray wd 40 into the pump around the impeller then try starting it again, if it starts a lot easier with the oil on the impeller you probably have a swollen pump liner.
You should also see dark spots on the liner on those high spots. Also If you run in salt water add zinc anodes to your pumps and ride plates, Your boat comes with magnesium anodes not zinc. Zinc is best for salt water use

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Good stuff, Thank you! I will try that. I only run in salt water.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes but more amps "2 batteries" will turn the starter over easier when there is drag on the drive train .
It could also be a bad ground wire connection or a bad solenoid for the starter but usually it is drag on the pump liner.
You also hear a ringing from the pump running the boat on the trailer if the impellor and liner are making contact.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You also hear a ringing from the pump running the boat on the trailer if the impellor and liner are making contact.
When flushing the port engine, I have heard "ringing" (in the past) but not lately. How bad is this? Is this something I can fix (I've done all my own mods)? Part numbers?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If it is the pump liner you have to replace that section of the pump, However right now I am suggesting you check these possibilities out and see if it is the issue or eliminate it as the cause. Is it common hell yes especially after the boat sits for a while and in salt water use it is very common. I boat in the same water you do Tampa bay and Fort Desoto area I also live in Pinellas county. I run into the pump liner swelling up after a few years and replace them. But I also have zinc on the pump and ride plate. so this slows down the corrosion. The other way to check is to remove the pump and turn the drive shaft with your hands if it is binding up you will know . However it may just be as simple as a bad ground connection on the block. I had that issue when I owned sea doos and I always ran a second ground directly from the battery to the upper part of the engine as the original ground was low on the engine and would get wet if water was in the hull.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Got some work to do this weekend. I'll check the connections and relocate if necessary. I know I've heard the ringing sound; scared the hell out of me. I turned off the engine immediately. But honestly, I don't recall hearing it lately. Do you know of a part number for the pump liner (I assume you mean wear ring)? Got the part number for the impeller tool (460744) but no wear ring.

I've watched videos on checking for wear. They commented on symptoms from bad wear, I have no issues (other than starting). This is a bad ass boat. It jumps on plane and easily hits 55 every time. Top speed is 58 (boat GSP) or 60 (Garmin GSP). With all this said, should I even worry about it?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The 2018 wear ring is in a pump section that has to be replaced as a unit however the new 2019 models have a wear ring that is separate so this is probably a good thing for people with new 2019 boats. As far as impellers it's a job to remove one from the drive shaft so don't mess wit it unless you have no choice. I have never had a good experience doing one just my personal opinion.
So hopefully there is some relay or solenoid or ground wire issue maybe a small ground that is causing the problem and you won't have any issues with the pump but if you do you will be familiar with the symptoms. I have seen people tear down an engine thinking it was locked up only to find that the pump was actually the culprit.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The 2018 wear ring is in a pump section that has to be replaced as a unit however the new 2019 models have a wear ring that is separate so this is probably a good thing for people with new 2019 boats.
Do you know if this applies to the 2017 model? Thank you for your help!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
All pumps up to 2018 they changed it in 2019