• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starter Relay Assembly

sx240 Newbee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello All,
I’m trying to find a reliable place to purchase two starter relay assemblies for my 2011 sx240. Any leads are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

sx240 Newbee

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do u test to see if it is bad? I have an issue with my port engine that when I turn the key the engine does nothing - turn it multiple times and then usually on 3rd or 4th time if the other engine is on it will start.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@kalser211 what boat do you have?

If you Electrical box has a small cap with some Philip screws you can access it to bridge it without removing the ECU. If your boat does not have this small cap for access, my humble suggestion 95% chance this is your problem and the cost is not great, just replace it to troubleshoot and confirm.

It's maybe an hour to get the box off and open it, and then a few minutes to remove the relay and test it, but if you don't have the replacement on hand, you don't want to close the box to reopen again. Total exaggeration, like opening a chest to see if the pace maker is good. You need the spare on hand before you open the chest :)

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@kalser211 what boat do you have?

If you Electrical box has a small cap with some Philip screws you can access it to bridge it without removing the ECU. If your boat does not have this small cap for access, my humble suggestion 95% chance this is your problem and the cost is not great, just replace it to troubleshoot and confirm.

It's maybe an hour to get the box off and open it, and then a few minutes to remove the relay and test it, but if you don't have the replacement on hand, you don't want to close the box to reopen again. Total exaggeration, like opening a chest to see if the pace maker is good. You need the spare on hand before you open the chest :)
That is a good point - I have a 2012 sx240

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any help appreciated… I got access to the starter relay and when I turn the key it just clicks. What of these do I touch together to see if it will work?

Attachments

Kaiser211

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any help appreciated… I got access to the starter relay and when I turn the key it just clicks. What of these do I touch together to see if it will work?
Clicking noise when the key starts

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The red wire with the Gray tape is direct from the battery the other red is to starter. I would not jump the reds I DO NOT LIKE SPARKS AND LOTS OF AMPS to many BAD things could short out. I can recommend using volt meter + lead on gray rapped side to ground should be 12v............ or volt meter + test lead, to starter red wire(non gray) and volt meter - wire to ground...... turn key to start and if relay slams shut you should see 12v...............could use a continuity checker across the (2)reds turn key to start and the light should come on the continuity checker.

IT should be noted the 20 and 30 amp fuses control the main and key switch (make sure these are good) and the brown wire is the main wire to the key switch and loops to the circuit breaker(push button) next to the key any break/corrosion in that wire will shut key and relay down. A continuity check on that brown wire is in order. Any one of the browns or black can keep the relay from closing.

If you get voltage across the starter red(non gray)using meter or continuity lights across the 2 reds when key is turned to start, I would say your starter might be bad.

Hope this helps a little......... Dang I'm not vary good explaining wiring diagrams clearly using words sorry!!!!!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to test bypassing the relay you can turn battery switch to off, then connect both reds to the same terminal of the relay, and then use your battery main switch to test. Your starter will be permanently spinning as soon as you switch the battery switch to on. Then switch back to off and wire correctly.

This is a crude test and you must only BRIEFLY use the switch to test.

The relay can test ok without load, and then still fail under load, so the voltmeter test will identify a very bad relay, but if it's marginal it may still test good.