• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Starting my sound system update journey. Please bear with all the questions that will follow

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well. After reading tons of threads and was watching some YT vids my mind is still a jumbled mess. I plan to do a stepwise approach mostly due to funds.

My first question, how do I find out how my boat is wired? I don't think I've seen a 2018 LSE post . I'm confused because some other LSE posts tall about a factory amp. I'm almost certain I don't have one.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh my... so upper management just approved a 1K-ish budget. I've done some more reading and I will start with an amp and mid cabin speakers. probably the MX280/4 or mayyyybe the MX500/4 and some polk speakers. And take it from there. Woohoo!

Also, I've done some more reading here and I think I've figured out most of my questions. The stoke is high!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh my... so upper management just approved a 1K-ish budget. I've done some more reading and I will start with an amp and mid cabin speakers. probably the MX280/4 or mayyyybe the MX500/4 and some polk speakers. And take it from there. Woohoo!

Also, I've done some more reading here and I think I've figured out most of my questions. The stoke is high!
Nice! I did a medium sized install on the 190 with JL amps/speakers: https://jetboaters.net/threads/2014-sx190-build-thread-off-grid-pic-heavy.27305/

If you can work it into the budget, JL will last a lot longer then the Polk's and sound a lot better too. It might push your budget up a little but it's worth it. The MX amps are great, you don't need to spend extra on the M Series the only thing about the MX is the wiring takes a little longer.

For your boat, there should be a wiring harness for the stereo on the factory amp. You can remove the connector to the factory harness and then use the existing speaker wiring, they should be marked on each wire.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In all of your opinion which are the best marine speakers out there? I am currently looking at JL and Kicker LED speakers to replace the current in my AR192.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In all of your opinion which are the best marine speakers out there? I am currently looking at JL and Kicker LED speakers to replace the current in my AR192.
JL no question, they will outperform the Kickers. Some might say WetSounds which the higher end ones are very good.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
JL no question, they will outperform the Kickers. Some might say WetSounds which the higher end ones are very good.
Before I go crazy searching for sets, is WetSounds a model within Kickers or a whole new company?...I'm sorry, no laughing, I'm not huge into the audio. But i want to change it up, I did the LED install last year in the cabin and the kids love it ....wanna make the speakers match.
Will most of these brands match size of factory installed by chance, and with the LED's on the speaker do I need to re run wires or will the existing ones work?....No worries I'm not holding you to any answer, I understand you don't know my boat. Just generally speaking would you assume.

Last edited:

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before I go crazy searching for sets, is WetSounds a model within Kickers or a whole new company?...I'm sorry, no laughing, I'm not huge into the audio. But i want to change it up, I did the LED's installed last year in the cabin and the love it ....wanna make the speakers match.
Will most of these brands match size of factory installed by chance, and with the LED's on the speaker do I need to re run wires or will the existing ones work?....No worries I'm not holding you to any answer, I understand you don't know my boat. Just generally speaking would you assume.
No judgment here dude! We all start somewhere. We have a very similar model of boat so I'm familiar with the layout and systems.

WetSounds is a standalone company: Wet Sounds
JL Audio is my preferred: Marine Speakers

The factory speaker cutouts are standard size 6.5", the cabin speakers can be upsized to 7.7's if you don't mind doing some cutting but not the bow speakers. You will need to run dedicated wires for the LED's of the speakers but you can reuse the factory speaker wire. I haven't used LED's in speakers before so I'm not sure what the wiring entails or what type of controller is needed. If you are buying a complete system, my recommendation would be to give Creative Audio a call, I bought my system through them and they were able to give a little discount on a package.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No judgment here dude! We all start somewhere. We have a very similar model of boat so I'm familiar with the layout and systems.

WetSounds is a standalone company: Wet Sounds
JL Audio is my preferred: Marine Speakers

The factory speaker cutouts are standard size 6.5", the cabin speakers can be upsized to 7.7's if you don't mind doing some cutting but not the bow speakers. You will need to run dedicated wires for the LED's of the speakers but you can reuse the factory speaker wire. I haven't used LED's in speakers before so I'm not sure what the wiring entails or what type of controller is needed. If you are buying a complete system, my recommendation would be to give Creative Audio a call, I bought my system through them and they were able to give a little discount on a package.
Thank you, for not judging and the info. I will be calling.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I did a pretty large install on my 2019 LSE, including mid cabin speakers. Maybe this helps some....

Oooh. I had missed this thread, although it seams I may have commented on it. lol. Yeah, man you went fancy, my budget is much smaller. But I'm finding good stuff here. What did you do with the tower tweeters. Did you just disconnect them and pretend they were not there?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! I did a medium sized install on the 190 with JL amps/speakers: https://jetboaters.net/threads/2014-sx190-build-thread-off-grid-pic-heavy.27305/

If you can work it into the budget, JL will last a lot longer then the Polk's and sound a lot better too. It might push your budget up a little but it's worth it. The MX amps are great, you don't need to spend extra on the M Series the only thing about the MX is the wiring takes a little longer.

For your boat, there should be a wiring harness for the stereo on the factory amp. You can remove the connector to the factory harness and then use the existing speaker wiring, they should be marked on each wire.
Thanks. I'll take a look at that thread. I definitely don't have the budget to go Revo level speakers. I looked at the JL. I could maybe do the mx650. Are these much better than the polks?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My boat does not have Factory tweeters. Putting an amplifier on the Polk speakers will really wake them up and they are not a bad sounding speaker. You could also look for someone like myself, who removed the wet sounds Recon speakers to upgrade to the revo. Nothing at all wrong with the Recon series, just a little less power handling. The JL MX series or the Wetsounds Recon would be an upgrade in the longevity department. They have solid woofer cones where the Polks have the center tweeter protruding through the cone.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My boat does not have Factory tweeters. Putting an amplifier on the Polk speakers will really wake them up and they are not a bad sounding speaker. You could also look for someone like myself, who removed the wet sounds Recon speakers to upgrade to the revo. Nothing at all wrong with the Recon series, just a little less power handling. The JL MX series or the Wetsounds Recon would be an upgrade in the longevity department. They have solid woofer cones where the Polks have the center tweeter protruding through the cone.
tell me about it. I have two polks who's tweeter's are dangling now. lol. they sound fine tho

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was set on the polk DB 652, great price on amazon. But started to look at the JL MX650 a bit and may do these. But I just noticed that the JLs are rated 60 W RMS, vs 100 for the polks! Does this make a bid difference in real world? As stated above right now I'm between the JL MX240/4 or the MX500/4 amps to drive a total of 8 speakers. If I buy the 650s I would go with 1 or 2 pairs of these in the cabin (zone1), and leave polks at the bow and stern (zone 2).

Thoughts?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was set on the polk DB 652, great price on amazon. But started to look at the JL MX650 a bit and may do these. But I just noticed that the JLs are rated 60 W RMS, vs 100 for the polks! Does this make a bid difference in real world? As stated above right now I'm between the JL MX240/4 or the MX500/4 amps to drive a total of 8 speakers. If I buy the 650s I would go with 1 or 2 pairs of these in the cabin (zone1), and leave polks at the bow and stern (zone 2).

Thoughts?
I had both. Used the Polks in the bathtub spots and the JLs on the swim deck. I started with the two rear cabin, then front cabin swapping out the OEM garbage for Polks. The Polks were WAY better than my OEM “Seaworthy” speakers. Then added mid-cabin Polks. Made a big difference. Used a smaller Clarion class D amp to drive inside the tub.

Later updated and got more serious. Put JLs on the swim deck, a JL IB sub in the cockpit and powered them all with a JL 3-channel amp. The quality difference is substantial. You can feel it when you handle the JL vs the Polk. The JLs were much more marine-hardened and were a couple of classes above the Polks in build and sound quality.

The Polks were efficient and delivered significant decibels, but they did not sound particularly good: both thin and a bit muddy. They did improve and increase the sound in the cockpit so I could clearly hear the music while running at or above planing speeds. The JLs were crisp, clear, and - with the amp properly tuned - punched REALLY hard. Of course, the JL amp was also a much more capable amp than the Clarion.

My advice: do your second sound upgrade the first time and go JL throughout. Take in stages if needed, it will be a bit spendy. Also, Odin at (can’t recall dealer name right now but they are authorized Wetsounds and JL dealer in Plano, TX) hooked me up with a solid package deal. Close to grey market pricing but with full warranty and expert support.

Edit: Company` name is Earmark. Forgot to add he also hooked my brother up a few years later (I did my last audio upgrade in 2015ish, brother did his boat’s audio upgrade in 2019.)

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had both. Used the Polks in the bathtub spots and the JLs on the swim deck. I started with the two rear cabin, then front cabin swapping out the OEM garbage for Polks. The Polks were WAY better than my OEM “Seaworthy” speakers. Then added mid-cabin Polks. Made a big difference. Used a smaller Clarion class D amp to drive inside the tub.

Later updated and got more serious. Put JLs on the swim deck, a JL IB sub in the cockpit and powered them all with a JL 3-channel amp. The quality difference is substantial. You can feel it when you handle the JL vs the Polk. The JLs were much more marine-hardened and were a couple of classes above the Polks in build and sound quality.

The Polks were efficient and delivered significant decibels, but they did not sound particularly good: both thin and a bit muddy. They did improve and increase the sound in the cockpit so I could clearly hear the music while running at or above planing speeds. The JLs were crisp, clear, and - with the amp properly tuned - punched REALLY hard. Of course, the JL amp was also a much more capable amp than the Clarion.

My advice: do your second sound upgrade the first time and go JL throughout. Take in stages if needed, it will be a bit spendy. Also, Odin at (can’t recall dealer name right now but they are authorized Wetsounds and JL dealer in Plano, TX) hooked me up with a solid package deal. Close to grey market pricing but with full warranty and expert support.
That is helpful. Thanks. Just to be sure, when you say the JLs, you mean the MX650?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Best is subjective. Throwing out a brand name is a bit ignorant IMO. Product lines are huge and some brands excel pretty well in certain areas.

Best amps for power? I would go WetSounds
Best selection of marine subwoofers? I would go JL
Best value for speakers? I would go Kicker.
Best amps for tuning? I would go Fusion.

etc....

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is helpful. Thanks. Just to be sure, when you say the JLs, you mean the MX650?

Yes. Look at my mods list in my signature, has all products and model numbers. If you want more detail I can probably dig it up. Those MX650s were really outstanding!

Note if you can’t see my sig/mods list on your device, turn it to landscape orientation, it should appear.

Edit: My brother went without sub and installed MX880s (or something like that, the 8.8” version of JLs available in 2019). I have heard them, also sound great. The dig a lot deeper than the 6.5” do. But they are also much more expensive, bigger, deeper clearance required, etc.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^ I would go with the Kicker's over the M3s all day long. Save some money for similar speaker.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best is subjective. Throwing out a brand name is a bit ignorant IMO. Product lines are huge and some brands excel pretty well in certain areas.

Best amps for power? I would go WetSounds
Best selection of marine subwoofers? I would go JL
Best value for speakers? I would go Kicker.
Best amps for tuning? I would go Fusion.

etc....
Thank you, totally new to the audio side of things