• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

States tackling new boating laws

Interesting read @Glassman I would like to see some boater education required. I've seen some pretty stupid things out on the water. Maybe they should couple that with lower insurance rates as they do with cars.

Interesting read @Glassman I would like to see some boater education required. I've seen some pretty stupid things out on the water. Maybe they should couple that with lower insurance rates as they do with cars.

That not only IS a good idea, but I "think" some states have done something along those lines.

I know that some Insurance Companies either discount or require boater safety classes. When I was a kid you had to have a Coast Guard certification to be at the helm if you were under 16. I got mine at 13. Sunk my first boat shortly thereafter! :(

I'm all for insurance companies giving discounts to people taking certified boating courses. I am 110% against States requiring people to take courses. All drivers have to pass a driving test before getting driving a car.... As far as I am concerned there are way more idiots on the road now than ever before. I really believe with my whole heart that forcing people to take a short class that they have no interest in will make not make a dent in the boating accidents each year. Just the same as I am convinced that requiring all drivers to take a class about the dangers of DUI would not drop the overall rate of DUIs in this country one bit.

It comes down to more common sense and less government. You can't regulate everything.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant.

Too late in VA... currently Anybody driving a jet ski has to have taken and passed at least the 6hr on line test.. boaters have been on an 10 year progressive requirement since 2006.. started with 14 years old then 20 years old the 25 years and so forth.. by the end of 2015 no matter what age are you have to have one to operate a boat. The test is mandatory..

I see here in Kentucky, the “Boater Freedom Act” will require enforcement officers to have a reasonable suspicion boating laws are being violated before boarding a vessel.

I'm all for insurance companies giving discounts to people taking certified boating courses. I am 110% against States requiring people to take courses. All drivers have to pass a driving test before getting driving a car.... As far as I am concerned there are way more idiots on the road now than ever before. I really believe with my whole heart that forcing people to take a short class that they have no interest in will make not make a dent in the boating accidents each year. Just the same as I am convinced that requiring all drivers to take a class about the dangers of DUI would not drop the overall rate of DUIs in this country one bit.

It comes down to more common sense and less government. You can't regulate everything.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant.
You know, I agree with the less gov't part. Way too many useless, needless laws. But....and that's a big but, some laws are good.
From my perspective this is an issue of education, not regulation.

People should not be out there operating any machine that has the potential to inflict death to themselves or others without proper training. Sure, a certain percentage won't comprehend. That has to be expected. We have some very ignorant people sharing the roads and waterways. As a society, it's incumbent upon us to educate them so that the chances that they kill me are reduced or eliminated.

After all, if you consider yourself of average intelligence, half of the people you know or meet everyday are probably below average. A smarter man than me once said," If you are the smartest amongst your friends or the smartest person in the room, find new friends or a different room."

Back