• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stbd Engine rough when cold

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sup Y'all? My Stbd engine starts right up every time and idles fine. But as I raise the throttle it runs rough and RPMs really jump around at cruise speed. Once the engine is at temp, it runs smooth and the same as port side. If it was a carb engine, I would say it is acting like it is running lean. Is there something to look for on the FI engines that is supposed to richen the mix when cold?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
we have a twinsie haha

I would check spark plugs for gaps and signs of rich/lean fuel mixture.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good to hear from you @10-8
I would suggest changing the spark plugs. However, this almost sounds like a throttle position sensor. We are here to help you.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If it has them(not sure if they do) Air temp sensor or maf sensor dirty

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If it has them(not sure if they do) Air temp sensor or maf sensor dirty
I don't think these do have MAF sensor... I did the ribbon delete and did not see anything in the intake (outside of manifold)

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasnt sure. Never really looked over my motors to see

10-8

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to hear from you @10-8
I would suggest changing the spark plugs. However, this almost sounds like a throttle position sensor. We are here to help you.
Yeah, I was going to check the plugs before I took it out again. Pretty new platinums are in there. But being it's only rough when cold, I was looking for whatever sensor tells it the engine is cold and richen the mixture. All engines run different between cold & hot and thought they must have something on there that determines that.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am not as familiar with the 1.8 liter motors but they have to map the fuel injection with the engine temp. Perhaps an easy start would be to open up the electrical connections and dry them out and put di-electric grease back in. I would think you could pull the sensor and test it. Probably an RTD and maybe a thermocouple.