• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stearing Slop and Left to Right Issue

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking at the below thread I looked into my steering deflector to see if I needed this.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/adding-bushings-to-steering-deflector-nozzle-to-increase-precision-remove-slop.11094/page-2#post-194911

After looking at my steering deflector I noticed slop, but my slop is in the steering cable AND the bushing, but much more so the steering cable.

Also, I have an issue where I can steer much more aggressively to the left than the right and would love to know how to fix this.

Below are images showing the left to right movement. you can see that the deflector moves way more to for right turn than left.

There is a video that shows the slop. all this slop with no steering wheel movement.

Thanks in advance!

20160913_143000.jpg 20160913_143009.jpg 20160913_143015.jpg

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Will from JBP can contribute more, but it looks like you're getting a lot of flexing in your TV-XLs. When I had them on my boat, a similar thing happened to the cross brace between the fins. Additionally, I got the same feeling...easy to turn port, but going to starboard under throttle was near impossible until after dropping the throttle and allowing the fins to drop into the water. Then, after a 2-3 seconds, I could throttle up and steer normally again.

That's the main reason I removed the TV-XLs from my boat and went with another option that has worked better for how and where I boat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if your buckets and cable are moving but the steering wheel is not then check behind the steering wheel to make sure your steering cable is tight to the steering box assembly,

on my boat I lost steering to the left because the nut came off the steering cable behind the wheel, it was an easy fix once I found the nut!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok so i found a few lose "scews" i mean bolts and none in my head. lol

after tightening down things i think the slop is 95% gone.

I still have the issue of worse lefthand steering than righthand.

what is circled in the oic is what i tightened...

20160913_195645.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mine is dual jet so the steering set up is a little different, my cable is threaded on the end and goes through a block that a nut tightens down to keep the end of the cable in place. picture below ( #2 is the block, 1 is the nut to tighten ), when the nut is loose or off I get extra slop because as I turn the wheel the cable has free area,
upload_2016-9-14_10-18-12.png
it looks like on your picture you tighten a nut on top of the block, does your cable have a loop in the end of it? I can't tell if you have a block underneath it.

I would be cautious about tighten the other nuts to much as they look like pivot points and you want free movement there,

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas I saw the pivot points and didn't over tighten (I hope). Steering is tighter now and requires a little more effort, but not too much more.

My biggest question now is how to adjust the steering so right and left turns are equal.......

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce is going to chine in at any moment and tell you to change get your steering cables. ... however, u ha e been on this site since spring of 2015 and he has yet to come from wherever he lives to nc to change mine! But I still wait!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it's hard for me to see the difference in your pictures of the movement of the jet full left vs. full right.

I think if your not getting equal movement that since you only have one steering cable either,
1. your steering cable is maxing out on the right and maybe you need to "reset the cable so that at center it has the same movement available left or right" either at the steering assy or at the nozzle.
2.it's something in your steering wheel assembly that is restricting the full right movement

I might disconnect your steering cable behind the wheel and have someone turn the wheel to make sure you getting the same movement both ways and then start working my way back,