• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Assit

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any of my Chaparral partners looked into or used the Cobra Jet Steering? Fangs? Thrust Vectors? I think I remember seeing that the Chaparral motor/steering/buckets/etc/whatever are too different and do not work with these steering assist tools. As badly as I want to be a purest, if low speed control is significantly enhanced then I think I want to look into it.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Tyler Brown

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have 223 vortex and had cobra fins installed when purchased the boat. Thus, I never drove boat without them so can't give a comparison but with them feel like have good low speed control.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just so you know, you guys are not alone. When i had single engine jet boats powered by mercury engines coupled to a mercury pump slow speed response was great. Moved to a twin engine yamaha and swear i would have sold it after my first outing had i not purchased and installed first generation cobra jet fins soon afterwards.

I'm partial to cobra fins but if you want instant improvement in low speed steering either cobras or thrust vectors will do the job. Will at jet boat pilot is great so if anything does go wrong with the thrust vectors rest assured that he will make it right. Jeff at cobra jet also provides great post sales support. I recall one occassion where he sent me additonal spacers to correct a potential issue that i didnt even know about.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just ordered a pair of the Thrust Vectors from @JetBoatPilot. I'm (actually, my wife is) excited to experience the difference in steering capabilities. They should be here in a few days.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Showed up yesterday. Can't wait to get them on and in the water for a sea trial.

ScottyOK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'm anxious to hear about your experience. I've been considering the same.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Me, too. I'm hoping for a DRASTIC change in low-speed handling. My wife is a bit gun-shy around the docks and in confined areas. Hoping this gives her a little more confidence as she's in charge of loading the boat on the trailer when we go out.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@blackhawkpilot Is your boat equipped with the iST system? I wonder if it really is not as good as some say.
Yamaha never adapted Rotax-type buckets in boats and the TDE (thrust directional enhancement or whatever they call it) is a joke, but we all know it and just learn to live with it. And/or add fins.

--

Last edited:

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, I have the iST, but I don't see it being advantageous at all. There have been numerous times that my wife has ended up with the stern of the boat facing the trailer while trying to load. Hoping that the new "rudders" will help give that boost of confidence that is desperately needed.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I have the iST, but I don't see it being advantageous at all. There have been numerous times that my wife has ended up with the stern of the boat facing the trailer while trying to load. Hoping that the new "rudders" will help give that boost of confidence that is desperately needed.
Hah. I guess those are all the same, that TDE (thrust directional enhancer) of Yamaha also does not prevent spinouts. Which is annoying and unsafe.
I think you will be amazed!

EDIT: I know you read the other discussion, interested in your take on it down the road!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2-questions-1-thrust-vectors-2-removing-pump.10772/

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sea trial completed yesterday. I have to say that we didn't get the DRASTIC change that we had hoped for, however we did see some improvement. Overall, it did boost the wife's confidence a bit and she learned some new techniques by talking to Will at JetBoatPilot.com. We went to his shop yesterday - we got the wrong SeaDek delivered to us (got the 243 pattern vs. my 223) so we returned it and he's cutting a new pattern for us. Ended up leaving the boat with him for the week so he can install it and take some pictures for his web-site. While there, we did notice that the Yamaha Thrust Vectors are quite a bit bigger than the ones for the Chaparral, so that may be why we didn't get the HUGE change in steering. It was good to get out on the water yesterday for a short time and play with some dolphins. Ready for summer.

Jet Blue

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any thought on what the changes would be on a single engine 203?

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Any thought on what the changes would be on a single engine 203?
I would expect that you would probably see the same change. It would be nice if they were bigger, but after talking with Will, he said there just isn't enough real estate under the Chap to put a bigger one. It's worth a shot, though. Even a little assistance would help. I did notice that the left-to-right motion of the bow has stopped at slow speed and I'm not having to correct as much. Maybe after a few more times out on the water we'll learn to appreciate them more.