• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering box system greasing, behing the steering wheel

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well during the summer the wife mentioned the steering seemed more difficult than in the past. So I took it apart. Was gonna check the cables, and maybe lube them, but they move freely once disconnected from the steering box.

So I removed the steering wheel and steering gear box behind the dashboard to check it out and see how things look. Once I got it out it said "do not open, no serviceable parts" Well dont be scared it comes apart very easily as seen in the pictures I took. I greased all the bushings and geears using mobil-1 synthetic red grease (what I had in the garage) Looked like it had a thin white grease in it when I took it apart.

Put back together, realigned the nozzles. Steering was better, easier, and all good again. In my defense I located the replacement part for $75 before I disassembled, just in case I broke something.

1. Arrow located on steering box, center brass round piece, points to center for centering steering wheel
2. Both steering cables have same part number
3. two methods to center steering noozles at rear of boat
3a. Strait edge across nozzles, and square to rear of boat
3b. Manual shows, to measure the steering bar on nozzle distance away from boat.

Edit. The unit comes apart after you remove the steering wheel, by remove the big center nut under cover. Then you have to remove the tilt steering unit. Then 3 bolts hold the steering box to tell dashboard.

Attachments

Last edited:

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
What apt timing. I was just looking at my helm steering box again this afternoon and was trying to figure out if I wanted to attempt removal. My primary complaint is loose steering, but after playing with it more, I was feeling some grinding in the box. Did you see anything in the box that could lead to play between the gear and the steering linkage?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JetPowered
I did not have have any grinding in my unit but mine also sloppy, you could feel some play in it. I think putting some fresh thicker grease in it made it smoother and reduced the amount of play it had.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Any special disassembly instructions of the helm gear? I see a couple bushings and a circlip. I'm worried the grease will end up oozing all over the helm compartment on a hot day.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice write up. I may do this next spring as I have to eliminate my steering sloppiness.