• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering upgrade?

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I finally got to take the new sx210 out for the first time this weekend. I did run into a couple of problems!! The steering while trying to dock or place on the trailer, is slim to no control what so ever. It was windy and a mild current, due to 8 inches of rain friday night at Patoka. I'm looking in to thrust vectors or cobra jet enhancements. Which work best for twin engine modle yamahas? I have read the post TV vs CJ and seen the installation of both online. My concerns is the amount of fins, 2 or 4 and is there any difference in control. Please help me control the 21ft turd.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ultimates with fangs.

--

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ultimates with fangs, is that though cobra or thrust vector?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
try reverse to correct your position. I took mine off.

with any steering enhancer, it will turn the boat quickly but it also is very hard to counter steer from the resistance of the water. Not sure if that will lead to premature failure of the steering cable or not(just my suspicion)

last year i got pulled over during a busy 4th of july weekend for weaving ... when i had the steering enhancer...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ultimates with fangs, is that though cobra or thrust vector?
Cobra. It is the best system, hands down. I had those in my 190 - it was a night and day difference. I have the AKs now with the second rod, which is the system to use if you have the rudder (articulating keel).
Just ask @Cobra Jet Steering LLC, he knows best.

--

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, talking to the cobra guy right now hes sending an invoice.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aside from the slow speed incapability, what is your opinion of the boat? Not many new SX/AR 210 owners out there right now. Curious how the boat performs.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I can tell so far. Due to lake raising 4ft and debris all over the place, is that the new tr1 engines feel very responsive, with alot of low end torque. As for top end I have no clue, too many floating trees. And as you can tell in steers like a jet boat. There is plenty of room and storage on-board. It seems to be fuel efficient I was out for about three hours and only burnt 11 percent of the fuel, that was keeping it under 6000rpm to idle. The new hull seams to take rough lake water pretty good compared to my old 19ft baja. I will update with more info speed, decibel level of engines and speed times when the lake clears up.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry if this is too basic a comment... but when you are trying to maneuver for docking--are you under power? The more thrust you add, the more steering you have (but you do have to make sure to not oversteer). But you can have better control by adding a little throttle and then backing off immediately. It does take some practice.

Jetti

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried almost everything, and yes oversteer was in the equation. I guess I'm just used to a prop and jets are a different breed. I was almost doing 360s with the current and wind. I just ordered a cobra kit to try and illuminate some of the learning curve. It's mostly so the wife quits yelling go over this way! :( Sometimes my response is not to pleasant if you know what I mean:confused:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I always recommend making your first several docking/trailering attempts without the wife. And without the boatload of friends. Bring like one person you don't mind laughing at you (with you). And these boats do take the wind very strongly. So these maneuvers in stronger wind can be challenging anyway, even with experience. Yes, the fins will help. But do yourself a favor and go out yourself and practice a bit on a less windy day. Learn the differences and you will be better served, with or without fins.